Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2023, 11:26 AM

579 posts, read 431,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
I also wonder how much breast feeding versus formula feeding (and for how long) attributes to the amount of fat cells that one generates during that period. So thanks Mom and Dad
I’m glad someone brought this up, as it (breastfeeding vs formula) is another thing I've seen mentioned in connection with childhood obesity.

Old 11-16-2023, 11:52 AM

16,308 posts, read 8,126,207 times
I don't imagine breastfeeding vs formula has much to do with anything but i'm sure some 'study' will try and prove otherwise. They also have studies that show breastfeeding leads to higher IQ.

Old 11-16-2023, 11:58 AM

25,557 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I don't imagine breastfeeding vs formula has much to do with anything but i'm sure some 'study' will try and prove otherwise. They also have studies that show breastfeeding leads to higher IQ.
I've seen that claim.
But here's the question I have: Breastfed children are going to have either a higher of lower IQ than bottle fed. Could go either way. Right?
So it turns out they have a higher IQ. Was that just chance, or the fact that the smarter mothers breastfeed?

Old 11-16-2023, 11:59 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,672,422 times
The Nazi concentration camp administrators were well known for their fascination for astute record keeping, weighing in the new prisoners and keeping weight records throughout their incarceration. Few prisoners ever gained weight but all of them---eventually, lost weight. That phenomenon has been studied in some of the most prestigious universities in the world, and while the conclusions of said studies were not always in agreement, most noted the terrible effects of such starvation diets and determined them to be injurious to one's health.

I'm on a month long journey that hopefully will alter my eating habits for the remainder of my life, very small meals, consisting of mostly protein, and the results have yielded up a twenty pound loss so far. Is this the answer for the OP? Probably not, and that is just one of the mysteries of the human physiology. That we simply can't suppose a one-shoe-fits-all solution is readily available. Most of the diets that are popular in America have that high protein intake as their basic guide, and yes that does work for the majority of people but certainly not all.

On genetics: My former wife (heavy in her fifties) had a son when she was seventeen, her mom had her prepare to adopt the child out and sent her to a "home" for pregnant girls. Long story short, we met the child when he was in his early twenties, the similarities between him and mom were truly amazing, not just the looks, but moreover the minutiae of the speech habits, the smile, the eyes, and yes--the eating habits that now have ballooned the son to an unhealthy weight nearing three hundred pounds. His sons are not overweight with the exception of one who weighed 317 while a senior in high school and wanting to gain weight as an advantage in football.

Yes that's not a true scientific study, but like so much of the empirical evidence out there, it serves as food for thought. I can't say with any certainty that the weight of an individual will always follow a pattern of heredity traits, nor can I say that in my own case that I lost weight simply by eating much less. But I can definitely say that throughout my life I've known plenty of people who really struggled with their weight, and I've long been aware of the multitude of dieting failures among friends and family. At this ripe old age I do understand the metabolic system to be a very individualistic thing that seems to have an underlying connection to some basic genetic considerations.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6656717/

Old 11-16-2023, 01:39 PM

3,183 posts, read 1,654,323 times
Genetics does play a factor on how the body responds to certain type of diet but it does not make you automatically obese. It is unnatural for a humans to be fat or obese, since it's a condition when food is being consumed and the body is in storage mode vs consume.

It makes no sense when someone obese complains their family is obese therefore I will be. If you eat the same kinds of diet, live the same type of lifestyle then most likely you will have the same shared physical attributes.

Body composition is simply a case of proper nutrition and management of dieting and exercise. A lot of people doesn't know that if you eat certain foods like processed foods. Your body feels even more hungry because it is lacking of nutrients and you will feel even hungrier as the body forces you to eat even more.

This is why stuff like mac and cheese, biscuits, and chips are bad because these foods don't have good nutritional value content.

Old 11-16-2023, 01:55 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,672,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
Genetics does play a factor on how the body responds to certain type of diet but it does not make you automatically obese. It is unnatural for a humans to be fat or obese, since it's a condition when food is being consumed and the body is in storage mode vs consume.

It makes no sense when someone obese complains their family is obese therefore I will be. If you eat the same kinds of diet, live the same type of lifestyle then most likely you will have the same shared physical attributes.

Body composition is simply a case of proper nutrition and management of dieting and exercise. A lot of people doesn't know that if you eat certain foods like processed foods. Your body feels even more hungry because it is lacking of nutrients and you will feel even hungrier as the body forces you to eat even more.

This is why stuff like mac and cheese, biscuits, and chips are bad because these foods don't have good nutritional value content.
Yeah, the genetics only sets one up to be predisposed to obesity, it can't be the actual "cause" for the fact that diet is still a major player in that scenario. When I was young I was rail thin and could out eat most of my friends and not gain a pound. Others were always dieting and failing to lose much, and plumpness ran in those families.

Old 11-16-2023, 02:04 PM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post

I can eat half a box of mac & cheese and not be hungry for the rest of the day, and I can also feel hungry without my body "forcing" me to eat anything at all. I can get absorbed in tasks and distractions and not eat when I should. I've never felt like my body "forced" me to eat anything.

I eat tons of processed foods and carbs and sugar and I am not overweight. And I don't exercise. But I watched my best friend for years, struggle with obesity. He worked out. He dieted. He had personal trainers. He did everything one can short of surgery (and by now maybe that, we've been out of touch for a long time.) It seemed so unfair that I was thin without trying and he was fat with every effort one can possibly make. Everywhere we went together I felt defensively angry on behalf of my beloved dear friend, knowing that strangers would look at him and conclude in their minds that he was living his life the wrong way, that his obesity was the result of his own poor choices, when it was something that he had fought his entire life. A fight I never had to put a moment's effort into myself.

So yeah, I think I'm always going to have a hard time accepting the "diet and exercise, simple!" narrative. And the thinking some have, that shaming heavy people is not only fine but somehow good for them. I do not assume that I know a damn thing about a person's life or have any place to judge them at all.

That is of course not to say that diet and exercise is pointless or not to be tried, or that it doesn't work well for some. Of course it works well for many people. But it really isn't always that simple.

Old 11-16-2023, 02:33 PM

28,662 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I can eat half a box of mac & cheese and not be hungry for the rest of the day, and I can also feel hungry without my body "forcing" me to eat anything at all. I can get absorbed in tasks and distractions and not eat when I should. I've never felt like my body "forced" me to eat anything.

I eat tons of processed foods and carbs and sugar and I am not overweight. And I don't exercise. But I watched my best friend for years, struggle with obesity. He worked out. He dieted. He had personal trainers. He did everything one can short of surgery (and by now maybe that, we've been out of touch for a long time.) It seemed so unfair that I was thin without trying and he was fat with every effort one can possibly make. Everywhere we went together I felt defensively angry on behalf of my beloved dear friend, knowing that strangers would look at him and conclude in their minds that he was living his life the wrong way, that his obesity was the result of his own poor choices, when it was something that he had fought his entire life. A fight I never had to put a moment's effort into myself.

So yeah, I think I'm always going to have a hard time accepting the "diet and exercise, simple!" narrative. And the thinking some have, that shaming heavy people is not only fine but somehow good for them. I do not assume that I know a damn thing about a person's life or have any place to judge them at all.

That is of course not to say that diet and exercise is pointless or not to be tried, or that it doesn't work well for some. Of course it works well for many people. But it really isn't always that simple.
How do you explain that up to 40 years ago we didn't have this level of obesity?

How do you explain that the obesity epidemic is traversing the planet in the wake of American foods?

Something's happening now that wasn't happening before. Something is happening in America that wasn't happening elsewhere until they started eating American food.

Old 11-16-2023, 02:54 PM

16,308 posts, read 8,126,207 times
An additional problem I see is the accessibility to food. For many people food is everywhere so naturally more of it will be eaten. Decades ago there wasn't this much food available. Take out wasn't available the way it is today nevermind delivery services, fast food, snacks people have on hand, buffets at grocery stores, often free food at corporate offices. Also low income people have more access to ebt and snap benefits than ever before and they certainly don't seem to be buying the right kinds of foods.

There's also a drug epidemic. People eat when they're stressed out.

Old 11-16-2023, 03:12 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,017,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
An additional problem I see is the accessibility to food. For many people food is everywhere so naturally more of it will be eaten. Decades ago there wasn't this much food available. Take out wasn't available the way it is today nevermind delivery services, fast food, snacks people have on hand, buffets at grocery stores, often free food at corporate offices. Also low income people have more access to ebt and snap benefits than ever before and they certainly don't seem to be buying the right kinds of foods.

There's also a drug epidemic. People eat when they're stressed out.
Accessibility means two things:
- Well to do parts of metro areas usually have plenty of sources for healthy food choices.
- Rural and sketchy urban areas are food deserts where dollar stores sell pure crap UPFs.

There've been exposés on TV about these food deserts, where junk food chains and dollar stores dominate.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates