Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 10:25 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,543,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
What you are implying here, then, is that people fear their own enlightenment? That they prefer ignorance?

I'm not being argumentative here; I just want to know if that's what you mean.
I'm not emplying anything. But I will try and clarify.

To repeat; people of color are not to be feared. But what some people do fear, is the result of people of color benefitting from the results of true and authentic equality.

For instance, most of us know that the corporate world takes every opportunity to support diversity in the workplace. And if one were to observe the staffing of law firms, ad agencies, accounting firms, etc., the rank and file staff is usually quite diverse. It's management that seems to have a hard time giving in to the inevitability of a diverse workforce. As such, it's reflected in the non-diversity of management.

Having reviewed the results of many workplace surveys on this subject, I will say that those managers--and some staff members as well--who answered questionnaires honestly, admitted that they felt occupationally threatened or insecure about Black or Brown people in positions of authority over them.

Now this likely isn't the rule elsewhere in society, but looking at the big picture in terms of business, political or clergy authority and leadership, the notion of "feared equality" does seem to have validity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 11:30 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,229,314 times
I was an AF military brat, family lived in Lisbon 3 years before returning to the U.S. when I was in the 1st grade. Dad retired, we moved to west Texas where dad was civil service at the air base. Mom and dad grew up during the depression and were both racially inclined; I know the words.

During my 4th grade year I wanted to join the cub scouts. Dad said I could join in town or at the base where a family friend hosted the Den. He told me that at the base that was a little n* boy so I didn't have to join there if I didn't want to. Frankly, I didn't understand why he told me that. BTW, my family is of euro-descent.

Going to the Den on base, one particular occasion, mom let me out of the car (she would go shopping at the commissary) and there was a neighbor boy in the next yard started yelling at me, threatening to beat me up. Why? I do not know but I was actually afraid he would. Point > I was always the smallest kid in my group. The little black boy was near by and saw what was going on. He put himself between me and the bully and told the bully he would have to beat up him (the black boy) first. I don't know the black boys name, it was 50 years ago. But I have frequently preferred the company of black people to that of white, largely because they're easier to relate to. Funny part is... I carry myself well and look educated. White folks think I'm uppity and unfriendly. Really, I'm just a bit shy, always have been.

My vote will go to the candidate who best exemplifies my regard for the U.S. Constitution as I understand it. In ten words or less, that is 'a smaller government is a better government.' Don't ask, the answer is NO.

Old 09-27-2008, 05:37 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,862,231 times
I guess I need to say this up front.
I am a 62 year old white guy. Gun owner,some college, Christian, curreny city dweller but have rural roots and I have traveled extensively because of business over the years.

I am glad to see that there is a possibility that a Black could be elected President however I will not be voting for Obama. When Alan Keyes was running against GW Bush in the primary elections several years ago I was pulling for Keyes. I was really troubled when Clarence Thomas had such a difficult time in his confirmation hearings. Since then I have had the pleasure of meeting Justice Thomas and I think he is Salt of the Earth.

The reason I will not be voting for Barack Obama is not the fact that he is Black. It is not his skin color that turns me off, it is his ideas. To get a better insight into where he is coming from I suggest reading his book DREAMS FROM MY FATHER. I have not finished it yet and I also plan on reading his THE AUDACITY OF HOPE before the election.

GL2

Old 09-28-2008, 12:28 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,618,691 times
Despite statements to the contrary the race issue has been a large factor in this election. Is it a relevant argument in the end ..no , not really however it seems to never fade away completely. It seems that Obamas supporters tend to be the ones who bring it up the most in the context that if one does not support Obamas presidential bid that person must have a color problem. I do not support Obama, but neither do I truly like Mcain. Race color creed whatever....The majority of registered voters are educated enough to know what it is they are looking for in a candidate based on his position on the issues. The race card is a tired old donkey no longer able to pull the cart.

Old 09-28-2008, 05:03 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,322,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
I'm not emplying anything. But I will try and clarify.

To repeat; people of color are not to be feared. But what some people do fear, is the result of people of color benefitting from the results of true and authentic equality.

For instance, most of us know that the corporate world takes every opportunity to support diversity in the workplace. And if one were to observe the staffing of law firms, ad agencies, accounting firms, etc., the rank and file staff is usually quite diverse. It's management that seems to have a hard time giving in to the inevitability of a diverse workforce. As such, it's reflected in the non-diversity of management.

Having reviewed the results of many workplace surveys on this subject, I will say that those managers--and some staff members as well--who answered questionnaires honestly, admitted that they felt occupationally threatened or insecure about Black or Brown people in positions of authority over them.

Now this likely isn't the rule elsewhere in society, but looking at the big picture in terms of business, political or clergy authority and leadership, the notion of "feared equality" does seem to have validity.
Fascinating. As an administrative type myself, I disagree with your analysis as far as my own exeperience is concerned, but I can appreciate that you may be more knowledgeable in the field of racial issues than I am.

This does not frighten me, by the way.

Thanks for your insights.

Old 09-28-2008, 05:36 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,140,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
The majority of registered voters are educated enough to know what it is they are looking for in a candidate based on his position on the issues.
A year ago I would have whole-heartedly agreed with that statement. Now... I'm not so sure.

Old 09-28-2008, 05:50 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,165,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post

The reason I will not be voting for Barack Obama is not the fact that he is Black. It is not his skin color that turns me off, it is his ideas.
GL2
Same here. What is REALLY bugging me is that liberals everywhere are making this a racist issue when it is not. I wouldn't vote for Obama if his name was Ed Smith and he was a white man from Kansas.

Old 09-28-2008, 07:13 PM

765 posts, read 1,910,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Same here. What is REALLY bugging me is that liberals everywhere are making this a racist issue when it is not. I wouldn't vote for Obama if his name was Ed Smith and he was a white man from Kansas.
Everyone knows the smart people will be voting for the 72 year old white man who may die in office and leave us with a president that was too incompetent to even run a town of 5000. But thats ok the smart people know that she can run a state that has the average population of most major cities.. Smart people have taught me a lot like if you are locked in a cage in vietnam when you get home it's perfectly ok to leave your wife who waited on you for 5 years and sleep with your secretary Cindy.. Seems to me race isn't the issue in the elections it's those darn smart people...

Old 09-28-2008, 07:30 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,645,342 times
Default This issue has been talked to death on the Political Forums.

Yes, its true the race card has been played to the extreme throughout this race. And I have been involved in several conversations about this matter and have always offered this honest opinion based on my everyday experience. Race definitely could be a deciding factor for many voters out there. On the street and in the working world you don't have to go far to find someone who isn't voting for Obama simply because he is brown. It is scary for many people to let go of their engrained prejudices and give the man a chance. Racism is dying in this country, but it certainly isn't dead yet. Many white people "fear" the possibility of a brown president based on stereotypes and fears of oppression. Many I have talked to fear Obama will place black/brown people above white people. How that would even be possible I really cannot fathom. Many think Obama, being part black must harbor some of the animosity felt by some members of the black/brown community for white people. It is an issue that can be discussed for days, without any clear headway being made amongst the participants. We are all created equal, and that means we are equally stubborn. And for the most part, it takes alot to change anyone's opinion on issues, especially one which has been engrained in them since childhood. I'll stop now, before you get really bored.

Old 09-29-2008, 05:07 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,862,231 times
Reads2Much,
To get an idea about how Obama thinks about racial issues you might want to read his first book, DREAMS FROM MY FATHER. I am about halfway through it. When I finish it I want to read the next one he did, THE AUDACITY OF HOPE.

GL2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates