Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 06:17 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg Mann View Post
Sounds like you work to many hours and don't have enough free time. I used to work 12 to 14 hrs a day, Mon thru Fri and 4 to 6 hr each on sat and sun and a few on vacation days. I did this for 3 yrs but was single and going to buy a house. It really burned me out and I never did that again.
I breathed a sigh of relief when I read your last line. I thought you were going to say you were a Workaholic.

By the way, was the house worth it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 08:19 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
unhappy that I would have GLADLY done anything to make it better.

Like I said, I am no drug user. And even as tired and miserable as I feel right this moment, I would turn down something if you offered it to me. But this morning was a different story. So today I have a little different perspective about people who use drugs.

20yrsinBranson
Get a physical exam.

If you are entitled to a vacation, do not take one week now and another week a few months later. You need at least two weeks together for it to feel like a break and don't stay home in your familiar rut place and just veg out. You don't have to go to someplace expensive/exotic.

Develop an interest that has nothing to do with your job so you can view your job as the thing you have to do to pay for the thing you want to/like to do.

Don't take illegal drugs. That's for hamsters on a treadmill. Everybody, except the hamster, knows all they do is run all day going nowhere.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:23 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Understanding Why People Take Drugs

They're fun.

Smoking pot makes you feel good. It enhances all kinds of things- music, sex, tv, hiking, etc. It feels pleasant.

Same with others. Snorting coke makes you feel good. End of story. Booze makes one a jolly fella. Tripping on acid is a fascinating experience.

Are their potentially negative consequences? Of course!

Do some use it for escape? I suppose, but that motivation is clearly superceded by the fact that most narcotics are very, very enjoyable. They are for kicks.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:09 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Most do it for the same reason people drink too much;to escape. then it becomes a addiction that is as hard to break as smoking or alcohol. Many people that kick drugs become aloholics.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:22 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,733,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Anyone who knows me knows that I am not a drug user, by any means. I rarely even take asprin or prescribed medication. In the past, growing up, I have had boyfrieds who used drugs (pot mainly), and was never attracted nor involved in that scene in any way.

Today, though. For the first time in my life, I understood why people take drugs.

Lately, I have been working very hard. I am spending about 70 hours per week at work and during that time, there are periods of absolutely nothing to do (like right this moment, for example), interspersed with insanity. The stress level is astronomical. Needless to say, I am more tired now than I can ever remember being before in my entire life. I go home, eat dinner and go to bed. That is my life. Yesterday I had a rare day off, and today I am exhausted. All I did yesterday was "hang around" and my dh had a barbeque last night and even did the dishes.

So this morning, the last thing in the world I wanted to do was get out of bed. It was warm, snuggly and very comfortable. I was having some wild dream about being on a tropical island. When that alarm went off, I was very unhappy. Stumbled out to the kitchen for my morning "wake up" mug of coffee.

At that moment in time, if you would have said to me.... "Here is a pill that will make you feel good". I would have taken it. I would have taken it in a heartbeat. I was so tired and so miserable and so unhappy that I would have GLADLY done anything to make it better.

Like I said, I am no drug user. And even as tired and miserable as I feel right this moment, I would turn down something if you offered it to me. But this morning was a different story. So today I have a little different perspective about people who use drugs.

20yrsinBranson
just smoke one bong hit when you get home from work and you will feel a lot better!!!! sativa vs indica.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:46 AM

857 posts, read 1,423,159 times
in my experience there are 3 reasons people use drugs.

1) Change/gain perspective - people use drugs to attempt to change the way they look at life "open their mind"
2) Escape - people do not want to/cannot deal with real life so they turn to drugs to escape
3) Enhancement- these people think their drugs make things better, stoners I am looking in your direction

Old 04-10-2009, 10:39 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone View Post
in my experience there are 3 reasons people use drugs.

1) Change/gain perspective - people use drugs to attempt to change the way they look at life "open their mind"
2) Escape - people do not want to/cannot deal with real life so they turn to drugs to escape
3) Enhancement- these people think their drugs make things better, stoners I am looking in your direction
Utter nonsense.

Pot makes you feel good. Feeling good, whether from sex, eating sushi, looking at a nice painting, listening to music, or smoking a joint, is appealing.

I used to smoke a lot of pot. I was not trying to escape anything. Indeed, how exactly does one "escape" something if they are still there? Life has always been good to me, more or less. I could not escape it if I wanted to, short of suicide, which ain't in the cards.

Make things better? Not really. Make them different? No, but they change your superficial perception of them. And that is simply entertaining.

Open my mind? LOL! Hackneyed 1960s jargon from the folks who brought you turn on, tune in, drop out. Smoking a joint or dosing on acid might- MIGHT give you a bit of creative inspiration. But so do alot of things.

Good grief. I smoked pot because I liked it. Nothing more, nothing less. No addictions, no crime, no issues. Would stop for months at a time without a thought. Have gone on to earn a BA and an MBA (all while smoking now and then), learned a foreign language (which I can speak even when stoned) and now am a deadicated family man.

We might start to understand narcotics if we could get away from the Sheriff Stuckey- Reefer Madness view of things.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:04 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,173,555 times
It really depends on the drugs. You wouldn't use stimulants for the same reasons you use depressants or psychedelics. Many people don't realize how many subconscious decisions are made based on drugs.

Stimulants (Cocaine, Ecstasy, Caffeine, etc)-These would be the most "social" drugs. They are most common at parties or social events. Why? You are more social with stimulants in your system. Why do you take that girl you want to impress to Starbucks? Surely it isn't because you want her to see you spending so much money on coffee. The caffeine is appropriate if you want to be more social and talkative. Ecstasy causes feelings of happiness and friendliness. That is why it sets the mood for people at raves and all night dances.

Cannabis-I put this in its own category for a reason. There is really no other drug that is used for the same reason. Marijuana is an enhancer. Taste, touch, sound, sight, and smell are all enhanced. Things become more fun. Music sounds better. Sex feels better. Food tastes better. It adds a little excitement to the world you're in.

Hallucinogens-This has three subcategories: Psychedelics, dissociatives, and deliriants.
Psychedelics (LSD, Psilocybin mushrooms, mescaline, DMT, etc)-Purely for mind expansion. Yes, there are the visuals and distortions, but there are also changes in perception. Psychedelics offer a different way of looking at people, life, family, etc. Think of all the 60's and 70's rock you've listened to where you heard some sort of observation or theory and thought, "I've never looked at things that way." That is psychedelics.
Dissociatives (PCP, Ketamine, etc)-Generally for people who like the feeling of depersonalization or being separated from their own body. Similar to psychedelics, but the visuals and experiences are noticeably different.
Deliriants (Datura, Deadly Nightshade, Benadryl, etc)-These are the "real hallucinogens". One can not distinguish hallucinations from reality. They don't produce distortions or odd visuals like the previous two. It's exactly like dreaming something that is so realistic, you don't know it didn't happen until later. Most people report that their experiences with deliriants were more like nightmares than good dreams. Deliriants aren't popular because most find their effects unpleasant.

Hypnotics-Drugs used for insomnia. No explanation needed there.

Analgesics (Painkillers, Opiates (Morphine, Heroin, etc), etc)-Used for pain and the euphoric states they bring. Many other drugs cause euphoria, but none compare to the kind induced by analgesics. Note how hard it is for people to quite heroin (or even prescription drugs like oxycontin).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates