Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 07:44 PM

341 posts, read 452,326 times

Advertisements

I live in NYC & I find the number of people who have been here for 10 years or more, yet do not speak or know @ least a little english to get by, is unacceptable, rude, and disrespectful.

I will admit that my partners family is of latin descent and many of their friends have been here for 5 years or longer..yet they don't know a lick of English. It makes me sick. I can barely communicate with all of them and "I" feel like the outsider.

I'm tired of people in NYC asking " Don't you speak spanish?". NO, I don't. I'm American, I speak the language of our country- which is English.

The fact that I am constantly having Spanish shoved @ me...having to see EVERYTHING in both English and Spanish just makes me even more determined to never learn the stupid language.

There needs to be some solidarity in our country. I wish they would make it a law that immigrants must learn the absolute basic english within 4 years of being here..and make them take a test. Why? Because I'm tired of seeing these stupid foreigners break laws or pull crap and play "stupid" like they have no idea what is going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 07:52 PM

25,702 posts, read 18,781,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum333 View Post
...EVERYTHING in both English and Spanish just makes me even more determined to never learn the stupid language. ...
And you consider English an 'intelligent' language? You wouldn't if you didn't know it.

People who live in glass languages shouldn't throw stones. (or something like that)

Old 05-28-2009, 07:57 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,224,475 times
That piece sounds a bit contrived.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:12 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,412,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
I think that whenever that we have talks about an official language in the US we talk about unity and belonging and "our country". However, that is riding way to close to attempting to eradicate other cultures starting with language.

We have seen nationalism rise to this level time and again. It is like picking up a book and knowing the ending.

Thing is we arent Turkey & nobody is suggesting to irradicate any other culture or lock anyone up. People will always be able to speak, write & communicate in any language they choose. But they will need to know & understand English in order to deal with legal things, or hire an interpretor.

Theres no reason for A spanish drivers test or Spanish school notices, Spanish instruction on Gov't websites & bulliten boards. As I said earlier its quite the slap in the face for other immigrants that arent lucky enough to be Spanish speaking. Its unfair & unjust & should be fixed up.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:28 PM

You took it in a literal sense. I was being dramatic to get my point across. No language is better than another. However, in the USA, English IS. WHY? Because you need to know it here in order to advance in our society.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:32 PM

25,702 posts, read 18,781,503 times
Quote:
You took it in a literal sense. I was being dramatic to get my point across. No language is better than another. However, in the USA, English IS. WHY? Because you need to know it here in order to advance in our society.
I know, I know. Just giving you a hard time. But it could be taken the wrong way...

Old 05-28-2009, 08:34 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Quote:
I live in NYC & I find the number of people who have been here for 10 years or more, yet do not speak or know @ least a little english to get by, is unacceptable, rude, and disrespectful.
The rest of the country is pretty sick and tired of always doing everything to make New Yorkers happy. If New Yorkers think everybody in New York is unacceptable rude and disrespectful, move somewhere else, if anybody will have you. The rest of us are all fine, without having to take steps that will fix New York.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The rest of the country is pretty sick and tired of always doing everything to make New Yorkers happy. If New Yorkers think everybody in New York is unacceptable rude and disrespectful, move somewhere else, if anybody will have you. The rest of us are all fine, without having to take steps that will fix New York.
Hey now lol...I'm not even from here. I personally don't even care for this lame city. NYC is NOT @ all what it's cracked up to be..and the people are just generally morons. (No offense to those who aren't).

I could care less about what NYC wants and I don't think the rest of the USA gives a jack about pleasing them. NYC doesn't have pull like that.

I'm only here to finish a contract. I'm THRILLED to be leaving soon...*sigh* ..maybe in another 3 years?

Old 05-28-2009, 10:48 PM

472 posts, read 740,539 times
I don't live in NY, but I think it is unacceptable, rude, and disrespectful of people to live in this country for 10 years and not make any effort to learn the English language.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:33 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedsnake View Post
I don't live in NY, but I think it is unacceptable, rude, and disrespectful of people to live in this country for 10 years and not make any effort to learn the English language.
When you hear people speaking a foreign language, how do you know how long they have been in this country? If you overhear two people speaking a foreign language in a private conversation, is it any of your business what language they are speaking? If you and your family spend a week in Cancun, do you speak only Spanish, on the beach and in the markets and the hotel lobby, so as not to be rude and disrespectful to the Mexicans?

If English were declared the official language of the USA, what do you want? Do you want it to be against the law for two people in a public place to be overheard speaking any other language to each other, or what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates