Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 10:50 AM

25,798 posts, read 18,848,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Wait until there's a generation of kids who think more of their "kennelers" than they do of their real parents. Then there's going to be a whole decade worth of hand-wringing psychological and sociological studies. Particularly after one of them commits some kind of horrible crime, but gets rescued from prison and/or the electric chair when they claim trauma from not having grown up in a real home environment.

Ah, life in these United States, where everything is a "condition" you can use as an excuse!
In addition to that, I believe we will see an increase in 'elderly abuse.' And I'm talking about those folks who have kids and then kennel them out constantly. When the tables are turned and the parents are old and decrepit, don't you think the 'revenge factor' might come into play? Why should the children care about the old folks when they obviously never cared about the children? I don't think any child likes to be uprooted and pawned off on a consistent basis. And NO, I'm not talking about a simple summer camp or something like that; I'm talking about getting rid of the kids much of the time because they are a 'pain.'

Although anecdotal, I have several examples in my extended family. Those children have had serious issues as adults, and I mean SERIOUS issues. I know this is not always the case, but I do question whether or not the chances of a dysfunctional adulthood are increased. I don’t know the answer, but I think it’s worth thinking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 11:01 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,277,381 times
Well, it just gets back to how much of the time are we referring to here. As some have said, if we are talking one or two weeks a year AND the child enjoys it, I see no problem. Also, like with anything you would want to make sure the environment was wholesome, beneficial etc.

Most parents, IMO, even if they are crazy about their kid(s)as I was my own son, do enjoy having a bit of a break from parenting responsibilities. I see nothing aberrant about that. If this were a frequent occurence, however, you would have to ask why this would be happening and question the effect it would have on the child.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:04 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,619,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Most parents, IMO, even if they are crazy about their kid(s)as I was my own son, do enjoy having a bit of a break from parenting responsibilities. I see nothing aberrant about that. If this were a frequent occurence, however, you would have to ask why this would be happening and question the effect it would have on the child.
OK, but the whole idea of a "kennel kamp" doesn't exactly imply a "bit of a break from parenting responsibilities." Quite the contrary, it sounds more like avoidance of those responsibilities. It will definitely be interesting to see what kinds of parents are shipping their kids off to be taken care of (raised?) by someone else.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:52 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,230,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Apparently, the new "latest trend" is long-term babysitters for parents who cannot care for their kids for extend periods of time and do not have a nanny or relative.

I just caught the tail-end of the report, but it seems that most of the parents who are participating are using the service so that they can vacation without the children. So they are dropping their kids off at "Kid Kamps" where they are taken care of until the parents return.

Personally, I think it is an awesome idea, but the commentator did not approve of "kenneling the kids" har har. I think the visual on that is hilarious. Did anybody else catch this report?

What are your thoughts?

20yrsinBranson
I think its great, especially, if you can deal with a place that you do not have to pay weekly just to maintain a spot. People could go on business trips.

Sure, it will be abused but no more and no less then people who get rid of their kids now.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:10 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,041,341 times
Can you explain it a little more or provide a link? It sounds low tech so I wonder why it wasn't thought of 20 - 50 years ago. What am I missing?

Old 09-07-2009, 09:49 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,040,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Can you explain it a little more or provide a link? It sounds low tech so I wonder why it wasn't thought of 20 - 50 years ago. What am I missing?
Laura, I googled and couldn't find a link.

But I just now remembered a place that used to exist in Denver in the mid-90's. It was drop-in, you didn't have to pay tuition to keep a spot.
The huge difference was that it was not an overnight place.

Overnight care *does* exist, it's just that other than summer (and winter break) camp, I've never heard of licensed daycare that runs 24/7 for weeks at a time.

Old 09-07-2009, 01:38 PM

7,145 posts, read 12,681,095 times
Instead of kid kamps, why not family sleep over camps such as these:

The Country's Best Family Sleep-Away Camps - ABC News

But I imagine the Kid Kamps are for those parents who need a break and don't have any close relatives to child watch while parents take a vacation...not everyone has a Granny and Gramps in their lives these days...more's the pity...

We loved having Granny baby sit us when our parents took a rare solo vacation--she was a fantastic cook and let us stay up late, a plate of home-baked cookies close at hand...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates