Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2023, 06:09 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times

Advertisements

As it may be known, right now I have a well problem. My water supply comes from, right now, a tank truck filling up my storage tank which then feeds the house. When that runs low, I order up another tank truck which will be the practice until I get the well problem fixed.

Right now, I have minimized my use of water. Toilets off unless in use, shower warm up water into a bucket (to be used for toilets) or into a cooler for drinking water, yesterday's coffee used to soften food in dishes before washing, sponge baths on the weekend when laundry is done, things like that.

So, on the notion of "Think twice before you let it go down the drain", what are some other double uses or so of water that one might practice in the home? More a practice, mind you, as oppose to "Well, for a few thousands of dollars, you can have someone repipe your place so you can....."

Old 02-14-2023, 07:58 AM

7,237 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Major uses of water-

Bathing- over-rated as a health mantenance measure.. In fact, if you don't bathe regularly, you'll probably wind up with fewer colds--> fewer peole will come close. We bathe frequently now more to provide a social function than a medical function.

Dishes/cookware-- use sand to rub away residue and wipe with a dry clothe or even foilage. Use ashes as an alkali to help mobilize fats and oils if necessary. Pretend you're wilderness backpacking.

Toilets-- You're located remotely. Try a latrine or pit style outhouse. No need for water.

Cooking-- best nutrition is from meat & potatoes anyways. You don't need water for either.

Drinking-- This is why God gave us beer.

Clothes washing-- drive occassionaly to the closest river and beat them on the rocks like your greatgrandmother did--although, with the price of gas now and your remote location, it might be cheaper just to throw dirty clothes out and buy new ones.

Good luck.

Old 02-14-2023, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Major uses of water-

Bathing- over-rated as a health mantenance measure.. In fact, if you don't bathe regularly, you'll probably wind up with fewer colds--> fewer peole will come close. We bathe frequently now more to provide a social function than a medical function.

Dishes/cookware-- use sand to rub away residue and wipe with a dry clothe or even foilage. Use ashes as an alkali to help mobilize fats and oils if necessary. Pretend you're wilderness backpacking.

Toilets-- You're located remotely. Try a latrine or pit style outhouse. No need for water.

Cooking-- best nutrition is from meat & potatoes anyways. You don't need water for either.

Drinking-- This is why God gave us beer.

Clothes washing-- drive occassionaly to the closest river and beat them on the rocks like your greatgrandmother did--although, with the price of gas now and your remote location, it might be cheaper just to throw dirty clothes out and buy new ones.

Good luck.
Thank you but I was thinking more in terms like energy conservation in the Carter Era. You know, "Come on, America, don't be fuelish.". That kind of mentality. Hence, what are the wiser ways to use water such as in the thinking of gray water. Now, I am not going to repipe to do gray water, I don't have a lawn, but thinking in those ways, to get the max use out of one's water.

On the beer note, well, I can't because I am a Type II but Bibical approaches to unsure water supplies is why I keep the wine cellar around.

Old 02-14-2023, 02:11 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
You're taking fairly extreme measures already. If you get any precipitation at all, set up rain barrels wherever it runs off your roof, collect it and use it for tasks that don't result in ingestion: laundry, showering, toilet flushing.

FWIW and IIRC, you are way past Carter era water conservation recommendations. Plus, many of those were focused more on modification/design of the home itself: updating/replacing wasteful appliances, turning down water heater settings, using low flow faucets, showerheads and toilets, shortening plumbing runs, using timers for irrigation, detecting and repairing plumbing leaks. They also suggested very basic behaviors you should be doing already such as not running water while doing dishes, food prep, brushing teeth, shaving, short showers, putting bricks in toilet tanks (depending on the toilet that's not always a good idea).

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-14-2023 at 02:24 PM..

Old 02-14-2023, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
You're taking fairly extreme measures already. If you get any precipitation at all, set up rain barrels wherever it runs off your roof, collect it and use it for tasks that don't result in ingestion: laundry, showering, toilet flushing.

FWIW and IIRC, you are way past Carter era water conservation recommendations. Plus, many of those were focused more on modification/design of the home itself: updating/replacing wasteful appliances, turning down water heater settings, using low flow faucets, showerheads and toilets, shortening plumbing runs, using timers for irrigation, detecting and repairing plumbing leaks. They also suggested very basic behaviors you should be doing already such as not running water while doing dishes, food prep, brushing teeth, shaving, short showers, putting bricks in toilet tanks (depending on the toilet that's not always a good idea).

In reverse order, I was talking about energy......but I apologize for that error, it appears I was an administration or two too early. https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...27t+be+fuelish

Rain water is a consideration but now, we are talking more materials than practices, so let's talk practices, of what one can do without spending money.......and certainly not spending the money of someone else......as I so often see here on CD when I ask for help on an issue.

Old 02-14-2023, 03:44 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
You want practices that don't cost anything? Here are a couple:

Stop cooking. Transition to food you can eat in its "raw" state or directly out of whatever container it comes in. No water wasted in cooking and no cleanup.

Stop flushing the toilet. Dig a latrine pit in the backyard and use it! You have acreage, right? People who didn't have the luxury of indoor plumbing/running water have done this for centuries.

People can offer suggestions until their fingers fall off but if all you do is give excuses why they won't work, they'll probably stop. Only you know how far you are willing to take this OP.

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-14-2023 at 04:23 PM..

Old 02-14-2023, 07:40 PM

3,934 posts, read 2,184,548 times
Here is the main household use of water:

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/w...ty-d_1900.html

After brainstorming some obvious actions to choose from for “second”water use.

- If you could eliminate toilet flashing vs composting toilet or outside toilet - it would save water.

- Use of sponge baths instead of showers or shower less frequently standing in a sturdy shallow plastic tub to collect water to flash toilets.

-You could brush your teeth by plunging the toothbrush for a few min into a mug of boiling water to soften it, then brush with and use the cooled water as rinse.

-Cook by stewing on low flame under the lid or use slow cooker- little water needed.
When cooking pasta, potatoes, other veggies - use very little water- just enough for pasta or veggies to finish cooking and adsorb all the amount of water- cook low and slow.

- Dishes must be wiped off with a wet paper towel and dish detergent into a trash can immediately after meal or after cooking as you go and placed in a plastic tub with soapy water for the day. Cold water is ok if you wipe them thoroughly from remnants of food and fat.

Don’t let the dishes accumulate without wiping them with wet soapy first - dried out plates are harder to clean, takes more water, time.
Use second tub with clean water to rinse the dishes at the end of the day and dry out.

Both tubs with soapy and rinse water could be used to flash the toilet.

Wear apron or “yard” clothing for dirty jobs to save the clothing, wear the clothing several times; refresh them by hanging outside overnight? Or in the sun? during the day? Alternate between 2 sets? One is to wear - the other being refreshed by the sun and wind? Frost is really good for freshening up.

Wash the clothing by soaking it for a day, wash by hand. Re-use water to flash toilets, or mop the floors? Don’t use too much detergents if using for floors.

Ask older people how they used to do things or ask at off-grid people forums- they may have better advice
Let us know - how low (water wise) could you go…

Good luck!

Last edited by L00k4ward; 02-14-2023 at 08:11 PM..

Old 02-14-2023, 07:49 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
If you're using a softener (likely in TX hill country) there is probably a meter on the softener. I get by using 7 gal / day with no big deal. Renters use 200gal )

I shower and toilet at the health club when I drive to town.
I save gray water to pre-rinse dishes.

I mow grass after sunset to avoid shock and conserve water.
Do any outdoor watering just before dawn.

Do 2 small loads of laundry every other week.

Will be adding 20,000 gal underground rain collection tanks when I can find cheaper aqua blocks or scrap plastic pallets. Will add a set of step tanks to pre filter runoff water. (I'm in a draw from neighbors and steep hills surround me. I've done a lot of grading to direct runoff water to recharge / retention ponds.

My pond / dam is 300ft long, 50 ft across and 30 ft deep. It's currently dry.

Just the normal stuff.

Old 02-15-2023, 01:55 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,428,248 times
Unless your toilets are leaking, you don't need to turn them off between uses. The water will just sit there until used. If you've only peed, don't flush until the 3d or 4th use. If poop, flush immediately. If your toilets are low flow, do NOT put a brick in the tank to cut back on water use. Low flow toilets are one reason why so many sewer lines get clogged - not enough water to push it down the pipe.

Save any water you use to cook foods in and use that to soak dishes before washing, or water your vegetable garden with it. That is, if you don't turn that water into a broth.

Cook vegetables in the microwave, where little to no water is necessary.

If you open a can of vegetables and there's a lot of water, drain it into a container and freeze it until you're ready to make a soup/stew/something that needs water, and use that. It will add water and extra flavor. Heat the drained vegetables in the microwave.

If your hair is kinda oily, do a dry shampoo. Dust baking soda all through it, let it sit a few minutes to absorb dirt and oil, then go outside and thoroughly brush it all out. Wash with water and shampoo not more than once a week. If your hair is dry, it can go a couple weeks without a shampoo and still not smell like a foot...

If you don't have one, attach a cutoff into your shower hose, if you don't have a shower knob that keeps the temperature set. Wet down, push button to stop water flow, soap up, turn water back on, rinse. Navy shower -- works very well. We've used it for years now.

Wash small items in the sink and line dry, using as little detergent as possible. Add white vinegar to the rinse water to cut any residual soap. Save that vinegar rinse water for one or more extra uses, then use it to help kill undesirable plants around the place -- might need to add more vinegar, though.

White vinegar will be your friend in the absence of water. It cleans, disinfects, kills weeds and ants, is edible, and is good for your skin, too. Just be patient until it evaporates, and the odor will go away.

Good luck.

Old 02-15-2023, 02:25 PM

654 posts, read 630,160 times
I have adopted the Bear Grylls method of water conservation, especially as the day wears on and it gets closer to twilight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living