Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2023, 01:13 AM

61,646 posts, read 87,001,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprklcl View Post
Many stores of much size you visit have recycling bins for printer ink, small electronics, plastic bags, larger batteries, etc. Curious if the stores themselves who have agreements with the recycling companies whom they have contracted to pick up from these bins regularly, whether it is a money maker for the stores or a cost for them. One close by mega store, whose political beliefs I much disagree with that is a topic for another forum which I seldom buy anything from, has convenient recycling bins near the entrances which I most often recycle printer ink cartridges. If it costs them, that is very good so they have less in profits. I don't see how is a big money maker for any store, but appreciate any insights from anyone who knows.

If they want to do it - l am all for it. Surely they explored all pros and cons before making any decisions.
They might do it just for environmental reasons, not political.

Living most of a year overseas I am used to see all sorts of recycling programs. It's not all about money making, but good for the planet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2024, 03:02 AM

7,234 posts, read 5,114,062 times
https://www.npr.org/2022/10/24/11311...20it%20becomes.

Unfortunately, re-cycling is wishful thinking. Except for iron/steel & aluminum, most items can,t be recycled profitably or energy efficiently. Even recycling copper wire is inefficient because stripping the insulation is so labor & energy intensive. Electronic devices, with their thousands of little parts, can,t be efficiently disassembled for reuse or recycling.

Items made from recycled material are lower quality and even more toxic than those made from virgin material, so there is limited market for them.

As noted here earlier, putting something in the recycling bin makes you feel good, but does little for the environment. Seinfeld,s sililoquy in the Baboo episode comes mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living