Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 10:59 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,498,471 times

Advertisements

I hate to say it, but I feel like Winston is more desirable than Greensboro these days which could be another reason Hanes is doing well. Winston seems to be running uphill faster, the downtown area is much nicer (trendier, glitzy, safer) than downtown Greensboro (IMO) and it seems like more folks are moving to Winston/surrounding Forsyth County suburbs. Greensboro has been flying under the radar since the 1980's, the textile industry has vanished and the Greensboro Massacre probably scarred the city's image. I like both cities, but Winston appears to be on the verge of explosion. However, Greensboro appears to be making strides, but not to the point of catching up to Winston.

Last edited by JayJayCB; 02-23-2015 at 11:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 11:53 AM

536 posts, read 640,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
I hate to say it, but I feel like Winston is more desirable than Greensboro these days which could be another reason Hanes is doing well. Winston seems to be running uphill faster, the downtown area is much nicer (trendier, glitzy, safer) than downtown Greensboro (IMO) and it seems like more folks are moving to Winston/surrounding Forsyth County suburbs. Greensboro has been flying under the radar since the 1980's, the textile industry has vanished and the Greensboro Massacre probably scarred the city's image. I like both cities, but Winston appears to be on the verge of explosion. However, Greensboro appears to be making strides, but not to the point of catching up to Winston.
Agreed except I do not believe more people are moving to W-S than Greensboro.

Old 02-23-2015, 09:16 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,574,256 times
Quote:
I don't mind Four Seasons at all. However, it's true that the surrounding areas aren't too nice which may be a problem. In fact, the whole High Point Road area could be nicer IMO. Everytime I visit the mall, there's barely anyone there. It's like Triangle Town Center over in Raleigh, definitely going downhil. I've heard the same regarding Oak Hollow in High Point but I've never visited. I do like Hanes Mall, though. It's almost like the Streets at Southpoint (Durham) of the Triad. Definitely appears to be more vibrant, it might be attracting people from High Point and Greensboro who want to avoid Oak Hollow and Four Seasons. Friendly Center is also going uphill, always packed when I visit. Who knows what will happen in the future, but I hope for the best regarding Four Seasons.
I wouldn't bother with Oak Hollow mall. The mall has only 1 1/2 anchor tenants out of the former 5. My last pass through there it was easily 75% vacant.

Old 02-24-2015, 04:40 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,963,533 times
Quote:
I would agree to a certain extinct, on the fact that it is more trendier, As it should be. Winston Salem is the city of the ARTS,While Greensboro is the city of Entertainment. As for the population, no, That is the complete other way around. Why 4 seasons is doing so badly, is not because of desirability of Greensboro as a whole,it has nothing to do with that. It's because the mall is now in a predominantly Ghetto area that worsens by the day. The city is trying to change that by taking back high point road.So UNCG can Build all the shiny new big Buildings along that clogged atery if they like, but that area as a whole is loss. What is helping Greensboro and it's desirability factor, is friendly center. Although much more upscale than 4 seasons...more likened to that of the north hills area of Raleigh. Stores are migrating from the mall to Friendly because that area is exploding with growth, The mall is dying due to the Area and Friendly. it's just a case of being in the bad place at the wrong time. But it's a beautiful mall and i sure hope they can save it.

Hanes mall is in the right place at the right time.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:16 PM

Hanes benefits from not butting up to residential neighborhoods. While this may not stop people from doing no good it's harder to do and then try to escape in all that traffic.
This same problem plagues the Palladium in High Point. It was fine until apartments were built on the property and then teens began to loiter around the theatre. Last time I was there it seemed to be under control.
I was photographing MLK Day last year at Four Seasons and made several passes around the mall. I don't know what the income is but most of the spaces were occupied. Certainly no where near the vacancy of Oak Hollow Mall. So I don't get all of the down-in-the-dumps I read here.

Old 03-01-2015, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Hanes benefits from not butting up to residential neighborhoods. While this may not stop people from doing no good it's harder to do and then try to escape in all that traffic.
This same problem plagues the Palladium in High Point. It was fine until apartments were built on the property and then teens began to loiter around the theatre. Last time I was there it seemed to be under control.
I was photographing MLK Day last year at Four Seasons and made several passes around the mall. I don't know what the income is but most of the spaces were occupied. Certainly no where near the vacancy of Oak Hollow Mall. So I don't get all of the down-in-the-dumps I read here.
When a major anchor of a mall goes out(in this case moves) it's now a time to start worrying about the well being of the mall. i really do hope it does not go under. meanwhile at friendly, Lululemon is about to open, and i'm hearing talks of Dolce & Gabbana being the new tenants of the old Old Ann Taylors.

Old 03-01-2015, 11:02 AM

85 posts, read 168,416 times
A Dolce and Gabbana. Really?? D&G would be by far the highest end store in the region. This is the type of store that you expect to see only in malls anchored by Neiman Marcus and Saks. If CBL is able to land such a tenant I will have a new found respect CBL properties as a whole.

Old 03-01-2015, 12:53 PM

As far i can tell, it could just be hear say, but iv'e heard it from multiple people who are close with or live in the friendly area. But still, take that with a grain of salt.

Old 03-01-2015, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzer2 View Post
A Dolce and Gabbana. Really?? D&G would be by far the highest end store in the region. This is the type of store that you expect to see only in malls anchored by Neiman Marcus and Saks. If CBL is able to land such a tenant I will have a new found respect CBL properties as a whole.
Me too, especially after their disastrous mismanagement of Oak Hollow Mall.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:41 PM

108 posts, read 131,889 times
I was at hanes mall this weekend and there were ALOT of empty storefronts in the mall. I hope management has plans to fill those empty stores quick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point