Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2020, 04:59 PM

771 posts, read 628,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YinXyang View Post
Lexington Kentucky is very similar to W-S
Lexington, KY is a good pick, especially since it is Appalachian-influenced akin to Winston-Salem. The downtowns are similar in size, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2020, 06:22 PM

773 posts, read 647,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Actually I find Raleigh and Greensboro comparable to Charlotte in more than a few ways.
And i find Raleigh and especially G'boro different from Charlotte in a lot of ways. Almost all cities are comparable in "more than a few ways".

Old 11-13-2020, 08:24 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,167,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal James View Post
And i find Raleigh and especially G'boro different from Charlotte in a lot of ways. Almost all cities are comparable in "more than a few ways".
The bottomline is that most lesser cities would like to be compared in favorable ways to more successful cities. No city would actually seek to compare itself to another city that is stagnant or in decline.

Just because any city can be compared to another city in "more than a few ways," it does NOT make them similar. True similarity goes way deeper than appearance and geographical aspects.

Old 11-13-2020, 10:00 PM

37,897 posts, read 42,015,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
The bottomline is that most lesser cities would like to be compared in favorable ways to more successful cities. No city would actually seek to compare itself to another city that is stagnant or in decline.

Just because any city can be compared to another city in "more than a few ways," it does NOT make them similar. True similarity goes way deeper than appearance and geographical aspects.
Firstly, I don't know if the OP created this thread with an ulterior motive or whatever as you're claiming, but I'm just taking the thread at face value. It's not that serious to me.

Secondly, let's keep in mind that it isn't cities comparing themselves to other cities in this thread which is impossible anyway since cities aren't people. It is the posters in this thread, who actually ARE people, that are doing the comparing.

Thirdly, people in "more successful cities" compare their own cities to "lesser" cities all the time if they bear more than a passing resemblance to such cities. Although I no longer live in Charlotte, I will always regard it as my second home and here I am, arguing that it is comparable to supposedly lesser Raleigh and Greensboro.

Fourthly, my statement concerning Raleigh and Greensboro being comparable to Charlotte in more than a few ways does not mean I was implying they were all very similar to each other. It was stated to counter the claim that Charlotte is in its own category to the extent that no other city in the state can be compared to it. I thought that was pretty obvious but for some reason folks are feeling especially argumentative in this thread.

Old 11-13-2020, 11:24 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,963,533 times
Are you saying that’s it’s comparable to Charlotte because of how urban Greensboro’s layout is?

I’m confused, but yes W-S is extremely similar to Lexington, KY.

Old 11-13-2020, 11:33 PM

405 posts, read 318,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YinXyang View Post
Are you saying that’s it’s comparable to Charlotte because of how urban Greensboro’s layout is?

I’m confused, but yes W-S is extremely similar to Lexington, KY.
Say what now ....... ?

Old 11-14-2020, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Firstly, I don't know if the OP created this thread with an ulterior motive or whatever as you're claiming, but I'm just taking the thread at face value. It's not that serious to me.

Secondly, let's keep in mind that it isn't cities comparing themselves to other cities in this thread which is impossible anyway since cities aren't people. It is the posters in this thread, who actually ARE people, that are doing the comparing.

Thirdly, people in "more successful cities" compare their own cities to "lesser" cities all the time if they bear more than a passing resemblance to such cities. Although I no longer live in Charlotte, I will always regard it as my second home and here I am, arguing that it is comparable to supposedly lesser Raleigh and Greensboro.

Fourthly, my statement concerning Raleigh and Greensboro being comparable to Charlotte in more than a few ways does not mean I was implying they were all very similar to each other. It was stated to counter the claim that Charlotte is in its own category to the extent that no other city in the state can be compared to it. I thought that was pretty obvious but for some reason folks are feeling especially argumentative in this thread.
The same way that Charlotte is always trying to measure up to Atlanta? All of these cities are unique in their own ways. Let’s just leave it at that. These comparisons are pointless.

Old 11-14-2020, 10:43 PM

37,897 posts, read 42,015,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
The same way that Charlotte is always trying to measure up to Atlanta? All of these cities are unique in their own ways. Let’s just leave it at that. These comparisons are pointless.
Your arm should be sore as hell from excessively tilting at this windmill.

Just because you're unable to see this as nothing more than an exercise in one-upping doesn't mean there isn't actually substance here. This topic is no more "pointless" as any other on this forum and there's no legitimate reason to try and shut it down just because you have some ax to grind against Greensboro or the Triad. There's always the option to just skip right over this thread if it rubs you in such a wrong way and leave those who actually want to participate in peace.

Old 11-15-2020, 07:53 AM

My point being, and I double down on this, if you’re going to compare ANYTHING, be specific. Comparing growth rates or number transplants vs. natives, for example, is very different than just saying two cities are “very similar.”

To a critical thinking person that should be intuitively obvious.

Old 11-15-2020, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Your arm should be sore as hell from excessively tilting at this windmill.

Just because you're unable to see this as nothing more than an exercise in one-upping doesn't mean there isn't actually substance here. This topic is no more "pointless" as any other on this forum and there's no legitimate reason to try and shut it down just because you have some ax to grind against Greensboro or the Triad. There's always the option to just skip right over this thread if it rubs you in such a wrong way and leave those who actually want to participate in peace.
I do not see this thread as an exercise in one upping, but believe whatever you’d like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point