Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2009, 07:13 PM

66 posts, read 147,980 times

Advertisements

can anyone tell me in simpletons terms the most important aspects of building a deck as far are the inspections are concerned? Also, building OFF of our existing deck and replacing existing decking boards, what if the existing FRAMING of deck doesn't meet code? Does that matter?? My brother can do this, just not familiar with NC codes!! Footings...that's the thing that's confusing him. AND help would be greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 08:24 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,777 times
Holla, as I mentioned in your other thread, you should call the Winston-Salem Inspections Dept. Explain to them what you're planning to do, and they can tell you a) whether a permit is required, and b) where to find the pertinent sections of the building code. The code is there to make sure structures are safe, so if your framing doesn't meet code you could have potentially serious safety issues.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:04 AM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times
Building codes can be found at the public library. If the existing deck is fairly old chances are it is not going to meet code, not because it is unsafe, but because codes are changed over time as the needs arise. The ballisters are a good example; though I forget the measurement, new deck ballisters must be spaced close enough so that a child's head cannot fit between them.
Footings are easy; go deep. Better safe than sorry

Old 10-21-2009, 07:06 PM

Spoke to the inspector today...he said he will not pay any attention to the existing deck since we are building OFF of an existing deck. The footers are what is confusing me. Okay, we are digging down 18 inches down instead of the 12 feet they require, but do we set the posts on a cement block, OR cement it in?? Footers are the only prob. loloL I do have a qualified framer I just want to know for myself.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:48 PM

37 posts, read 215,569 times
Ok,

here is a link to check out: www.durhamnc.gov/.../inspections/decks.cfm

Try this and see if it sheds some light. Bottom of the footing should be 12" below grass (called grade). 18" is even better as it gets colder where you are than here. At your local home depot or lowes, they have Simpson footing brackets that will be placed in the wet concrete and tie the wood post to the footing. This prevents a strong wind from picking up the deck.

Those guys there can point you in the right direction. If your current deck has held up well, you could place new posts in line with the old. Then just match heights and be sure to bolt the new 2x10 framing to the post, not just screw. They make informative books at home depot, or you can call a local structrual engineer, and he may be happy to show mercy on you and email a typical detail. Liability is always an issue, but they may give you something, or talk you through it. Kaydos Daniels in Raleigh would probably help if you can not find one there.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:36 PM

Gotcha! It is built!! LOL All went as planned!! I will have to take pics for u all!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point