Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2007, 09:32 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,717,315 times

Advertisements

I put big in quotes because for those of us residing in Greertucky (north of Wade Hampton) any commercial development is big. One can only have so many feed shops, lawn mower repair and dollar generals (ironically enough almost nothing there is a dollar, but I digress). I haven't seen anything about it but if there already is a thread I apologize. It's got to be almost 15 -20 acres but I know nothing about it. This is a very underserved market as everyone has to drive down to Wade Hampton for most commerce/shopping. New housing developments are popping up everywhere and Ryan Homes just started one across from Blue Ridge High School. Any info would be welcomed. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 01:28 PM

79 posts, read 364,567 times
Talking shades of Spring Hill, Florida

Sounds a lot like what happened to Spring Hill, Florida. "Mcmansions" and shopping malls.

Old 07-15-2007, 07:52 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,717,315 times
I can't believe that you just mentioned Spring Hill. We have a home there and can't sell it for the life of me. It's only 2 1/2 years old and it's depreciated $40k in the last year. People are leaving Florida in droves and the housing market there is nearly at "crash" proportions.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:21 AM

79 posts, read 364,567 times
Talking I am so glad we are on the same page!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
I can't believe that you just mentioned Spring Hill. We have a home there and can't sell it for the life of me. It's only 2 1/2 years old and it's depreciated $40k in the last year. People are leaving Florida in droves and the housing market there is nearly at "crash" proportions.
Sonrise, I am glad you weren't offended by my response to your post. I can't help but speak sarcastically in regards to Spring Hill. I have very little love for Hernando County, and in particular, Spring Hill. My mother and stepfather live there, and are in the SAME situation with their home. They don't want to leave the state for some reason, and have been trying, to no avail, to sell their home and move into an apartment. The sad thing is, apartments are so ridiculously expensive, that I fear they will be making a big mistake. You can't touch a two-bedroom apartment for under $700 in Spring Hill...And it's actually hard to find an apartment in Spring Hill. When I moved back from England to be near my mother, it took me several months to find a place. I am a teacher, and I was making "too much money" for all but one of the apartment complexes in my area. I couldn't find a one-bedroom that WASN'T "income based", and so I was forced to suck it up in a $670 a month, 2 bedroom apartment that now goes $700+. (really unnecessary, as it was just myself and my cat!) My teaching salary was less than what it will be with Greenville schools. We also are paying only $520 for A HOUSE...Albeit it's in Easley, but I could have easily found a comparable place in Greenville for a similar price. In fact, we had looked at a few houses that were around the same price to rent. We picked Easley because we wanted an older home with history.

With that said, Spring Hill, and Florida in general, is a tough nut to crack.

My two cents is that Florida is not able to support the volume of people that move in each year in search of "greener pastures". Everyone wants new homes, and model homes, and the "older" homes that are only a few years old, are given the brush-off. Not to mention, that the cost of living is so incredibly high in proportion to the salaries.

There's something very wrong with a state that will pay teachers the same salary to teach in Hillsborough county (Tampa area) that Greenville county will pay a teacher, and the cost of living is so much lower in comparison to Florida.

Oh, and let's not forget all the lovely SINK HOLES that Spring Hill has to offer!

I hope you sell your house. My mother said that her property taxes for her modest two bedroom house on Lansfield Drive, off of Mariner Blvd, is almost triple to what I will be paying in Pickens County.

Last edited by hollimarie; 07-16-2007 at 10:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area