Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 09:15 AM

348 posts, read 496,881 times

Advertisements

I have been to the Atlanta Aquarium and found it to be great. Don't like the drive to Atlanta, rode on a bus tour last time. It seemed very crowded for a Feb/Mar visit. I like the idea of getting out of Greenville and down I26 to Charleston and you are almost there. Is the trip to Charleston worth it? Would the crowds be smaller? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 09:25 AM

257 posts, read 327,524 times
You're comparing the world's largest aquarium in Atlanta with SC's rather small aquarium. I don't think it would be worth a trip to Charleston just to see the aquarium, but if you want to sightsee in general, then Charleston is a good option.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:47 AM

91 posts, read 243,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto_Guy View Post
You're comparing the world's largest aquarium in Atlanta with SC's rather small aquarium. I don't think it would be worth a trip to Charleston just to see the aquarium, but if you want to sightsee in general, then Charleston is a good option.
I second this

Old 02-27-2011, 11:20 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,137,125 times
As a member of the SC aquarium I would say comparing the two is like comparing apples and oranges. They are both fruit and that is it.
The SC aquarium takes you on a journey from the mountains to the sea. You will start on the top level seeing trout in a misty rocky surrounding and then walk down and around the complex seeing rivers, creeks, streams and lakes. You will end up at the sea where you can view the large tank of saltwater fish and also go outside and view the salt marsh display.
We usually go down, visit the aquarium, have lunch tour downtown for a while and then head back home. Here is the link. You can trade your ticket in for a membership while there if you think you may come back again within a year. You can make arrangements to go to the turtle hospital they have there as well. Last time we were there I think there were 8 or 9 turtles recouping from various ill and afflictions. South Carolina Aquarium on Charleston Harbor

Old 02-27-2011, 01:47 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,099,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuguy2 View Post
I have been to the Atlanta Aquarium and found it to be great. Don't like the drive to Atlanta, rode on a bus tour last time. It seemed very crowded for a Feb/Mar visit. I like the idea of getting out of Greenville and down I26 to Charleston and you are almost there. Is the trip to Charleston worth it? Would the crowds be smaller? Thanks.
You are aware that Atlanta is closer to Greenville than Charleston, aren't you?

Old 02-27-2011, 05:25 PM

40 posts, read 124,655 times
GA aquarium is nice but a recent visit to Pigeon Forge, TN we loved the Ripley Aquarium better. it's not as big but it's less crowded and you can actually enjoy your trip. it is a good trip so i'd advice just on a TN trip to check it out.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:09 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,756,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
You are aware that Atlanta is closer to Greenville than Charleston, aren't you?
I would rather drive the 3.5 hours to Charleston over the 2.5 hour (on a good day) trip to Atlanta. Plus, it's the city of Charleston vs. the city of Atlanta. There is no comparison. Make the drive to Charleston.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:49 PM

899 posts, read 2,286,957 times
I've been to lots of aquariums including the SC Aquarium and the Georgia Aquarium. Even comparing them with each other I think the SC Aquarium is much better. As ruvidu mentioned the mountains to the sea layout is a great concept. If you live in Greenville and are into aquariums then a trip to the one in Charleston is a must. Plus you can just make a weekend out of it and do everything else Charleston has to offer.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:40 AM

257 posts, read 327,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by furmanpals View Post
Plus, it's the city of Charleston vs. the city of Atlanta. There is no comparison.
You realize that statement could easily go either way, right? You're talking about two entirely different cities here. One is essentially a living museum on the coast and the other is a national/international 21st century business center with tons of attractions and major events.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:30 AM

5,590 posts, read 15,371,404 times
I was not impressed by the SC Aquarium, although it is a nice (poorly executed) concept. As others have said, it should be included on a list of things to see and do in Charleston, but not the primary objective. While there are many more options in Atlanta for visitors, Charleston has more than its share of interesting tourist traps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area