Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2006, 07:16 AM

10 posts, read 31,779 times

Advertisements

Can't seem to find the "perfect" house for us on Realtor.com. There seems to be tons of new communities popping up. We'd like to have .5 acres with a wooded lot (at least in the back). Any input would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2006, 09:43 AM

89 posts, read 388,332 times
Good luck im sure they are out there too find. But most of the places you see going up they put the house way too close for my likeing...

Old 09-03-2006, 05:24 PM

10 posts, read 31,779 times
Thanks for the input. Anybody who lives in one of the subdivisions care to comment?

Old 09-03-2006, 07:17 PM

33 posts, read 196,581 times
Default large lots

And why would anyone want to live in those subdivisions with the neighbor right on top of you (like here in Jersey) and those stupid hoa rules? Yuck! We want at least an acre. Hope we find it in the Greenville/Anderson area.

Old 09-04-2006, 05:54 AM

745 posts, read 2,236,159 times
It depends on how far you are willing to drive. We are looking for rural acreage, and are willing to drive 25-30 miles for work if necessary. In my searches, I have found a number of larger lot 'subdivisions', ranging up to 5 acres or more. Some of these are even gated communities, if that's your desire. For us, we want a more unrestricted lifestyle. After living in a crowded subdivision (six houses per acre) we want to do the 'Green Acres' thing and get back to nature. Try checking w/ local realtors. I have found several that allow easy online access to the MLS, and you can just scroll through the listings. Many of these online sources allow you to select 'minimum acreage' in your search.

Old 09-04-2006, 03:50 PM

33 posts, read 196,581 times
Default acreage

flgargoyle, in what towns have you been looking for these houses with acreage?

Old 09-04-2006, 05:25 PM

745 posts, read 2,236,159 times
I just did a quick search on cherylteague dot net, and found over 1100 homes on 1/2 acre or more; 375 on 1 acre or more, all under $200K (I don't know what your budget is). As I said, we want to be away from development, and don't care about schools or shopping. I don't know as much about houses, b/c we are looking for raw acreage. We are mostly looking west and north of G'ville, in Pickens, Easley, Liberty, Travelers Rest, Marietta, and Lyman. Land seems to run about $8K to $12K an acre for 5 acres or more. Pretty much the further from G'ville you are, the lower the prices, esp. on the east side, towards Fountain Inn. Most of the growth seems to be happening out that way too, esp. Simpsonville. We plan to buy land now, and build in 3-4 years when our son is out of college. Other online tools I've used have been Mapquest. google earth, and of course, city data. We'll know a lot more in 2 weeks (we are going to look); I plan to post my findings here when I get back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area