Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 09:48 AM

76 posts, read 295,514 times

Advertisements

We are visiting the G'ville area in early November with our 4 boys. Are there some places and/or activities for the kids this time of year in that area? We will be doing a lot of driving checking out small towns around G'ville, so we would like to take the kids to some fun places too, so they don't get totally bored!
Thanks for any info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2006, 10:57 AM

2,265 posts, read 3,733,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrienne1 View Post
We are visiting the G'ville area in early November with our 4 boys. Are there some places and/or activities for the kids this time of year in that area? We will be doing a lot of driving checking out small towns around G'ville, so we would like to take the kids to some fun places too, so they don't get totally bored!
Thanks for any info
What age range are your boys? Frankies Fun Park is always a popular place.

Old 09-15-2006, 11:10 AM

My boys are 14, 10, 7 and 14 months. What is Frankies fun place???
Thanks, Adrienne

Old 09-15-2006, 11:14 AM

2,265 posts, read 3,733,329 times
here's a link. At the bottom is a link for the Greenville,SC location. Would be easier to give a link

http://www.frankiesfunpark.com/

Old 09-15-2006, 11:24 AM
jac

389 posts, read 1,007,024 times
It really depends on the ages and interests of your boys. Check out the Greenville County Recreation Dept on the county website. There are many places to run/play/hike/skate etc. Roper Mountain Science Center is a favorite of my family. They have planetarium shows on Friday nights, plus programs on the 2nd Saturday of every month (except December). They have a website as well. It is a great place to join. I think it costs $40 (check their website, you can not buy membership at the gate). You then get in to most of their programs for free and you can get into other science museums around the country. There is also a place near Mauldin that has mini golf, go-karts etc. Baseball season is over, but you may want to walk downtown over to West End field. It is modeled after Fenway Park (without the Citgo sign). Reedy Falls Park downtown is quite cool as well. My kids love the bridge.
Hope this helps.

Old 09-15-2006, 11:30 AM

Thank so much for the info! My boys will be pleasantly surprised with all of the things to do down there, it sounds like! Quite different from up here in Maine, especially in November! This place shuts down by late september. Thanks again! Oh, are there any restaurants down in that area where we can take them for a true "southern" meal??

Old 09-15-2006, 11:32 AM
jac

Adrienne,
I just saw your post with the ages. Mine are 4 and 7. There are 2 parks that have train rides. Don't know if they run in November, but they might like that (well, maybe not the 14 year-old). There are some great playgrounds around. There is one in Greer that is supposed to be fantastic. This morning we went to Southside Park (Mauldin side of Simpsonville, I think). It is really nice. Heritage Park in Simpsonville is nice, just a little smaller. Do your boys play any sports?

Old 09-15-2006, 01:30 PM

hi jac,
My oldest loves basketball, football and baseball (pretty much everything, I guess). The younger ones like hiking, skateboarding, etc... Any info on skate parks, trails??
Thanks again. Adrienne

Old 09-20-2006, 01:52 PM
jac

Hi Adrienne,

There are quite a few parks around. The Greenville County website has a list of them with amenities, directions, etc. Heritage Park (Simpsonville) is a great one to visit and walk around to see the baseball facilities. I have never seen such nice baseball fields. You can hike at Paris Mountain State Park. I am sure there are more places, too, but we haven't been here for very long. My kids have enjoyed going to Southside Park. There is a great playground, soccer fields, tennis courts and basketball courts. It is also home to Discovery Island, which is a water park.

Other things I have thought of 1) Mice on Main Stop at the Chamber of Commerce on Main Street in downtown Greenville for the clues, then have your older children help the younger ones find bronze statues of the mice from the book "Goodnight, Moon".
2)Check out the Greenville Zoo It's small, but I have heard it is great for kids, plus there is a park nearby (Cleveland Park, I think)
3) Check out a branch of the Greenville County Library. We have been to the branches in Mauldin, Simpsonville, and Fountain Inn. All three have the same building design, which makes it easy to find things. The children's section has computers with education games for the kids. My boys love them.

Of the three branches I mentioned, I like the Fountain Inn one the best. It is located on Main Street, between a church (PCUSA) and the old Fountain Inn High School (which houses a PCA on Sundays). The surroundings are beautiful. In fact, Fountain Inn is very quaint.

I know you are looking for southern food too. If I find something, I will let you know. Places that we have enjoyed (in no particular order) are Fatz Cafe, Mutt's BBQ, Anthony's Pizza on Fairview Rd in Simpsonville, MiMi's on Woodruff (cajun style near Lowes) and MiMi's Japanese Steakhouse at the intersection of Woodruff and E. Butler.

Hope this helps,
jac

Old 09-20-2006, 03:26 PM

Thanks so much jac! I really appreciate all of the info. I can not wait to get down there! How long have you been there? Where did you move from? You mentioned a PCA church that meets at the Fountain Inn high school. Are you familiar with that church? That is the denomination we will be looking for down there. What town do you live in? We have been looking into Pickens. Are you familiar with that town? I would love to hear your opinion of any other towns near G'ville. Thanks again very, very much!
Adrienne
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area