Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 11:21 PM

17,598 posts, read 15,272,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Haywood Mall eventually won because it was between McAlister Square and Greenville Mall.
I could argue that. Location I don't think played a major part in Haywood winning over Greenville Mall. Now.. McAlister Square.. Yes, I would have to agree that played a part.. But, so did the fire, so did the fact that it was a far smaller footprint than Haywood or Greenville Malls. Did location play a part? yes. Can't deny that. I just don't think it was a major factor.

The real deciding factor between all three, in my mind, is anchors.

Even today, you open Greenville Mall where it was.. With the same anchors it had vs the anchors that McAlister and Haywood had.. Haywood wins. At the time, Haywood was the 'growth' area, so, it had that going for it, but.. Haywood had the steady anchors, some of which were stolen from McAlister and Greenville Mall. Yes, I do know that none of the anchors from Greenville Mall is actually still in business, short of Dillards, but..

The other major factor is the modernization. Greenville Mall was built in the semi-cookie cutter 1970's formula and it was 17 years before it got a facelift. Dark inside with the weird-ass purple and orange colors, while Haywood was more 'modern' with skylights and a more open feel to it.

Greenville Mall I always compared to Crosscreek (now Greenwood) mall. Not necessarily the same layout, but the same 70's modeling. Ugly as sin, but.. Fascinating to walk through if you still find one with that styling today. Crosscreek wouldn't have made it if there was competition from another, more modern, mall in Greenwood.. Anderson Mall I haven't been to in many, many years.. But I seem to recall it being similarly dungeon-like.

Greenville Mall, after the remodel in.. 1995 or so? Was really the nicer mall of the two. But.. The battle was lost at that point. Shopping had shifted to Haywood and the lack of stable anchors doomed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 11:35 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,262,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
If that project had come to fruition and indeed included a Rich's, then perhaps today Spartanburg would have a Macy's. I would have thought the former Proffit's should have become a Macy's, as Costco is an odd choice for a major mall anchor. And Spartanburg shoppers must continue to commute to Greenville to shop at Macy's.
I think the former Profitt's should have been kept for another anchor. It and Costco #1008 could exist together.

Old 07-01-2016, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
reenville Mall, after the remodel in.. 1995 or so? Was really the nicer mall of the two.
Greenville Mall expanded and remodeled in 1995. It was a nice mall indeed.

Old 07-02-2016, 12:35 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,050,331 times
Quote:
I couldn't agree more! That location was always superior, but the GM was poorly managed / operated. I like what it's become. The Mall era is over, for now

Old 07-02-2016, 09:11 AM

5,162 posts, read 7,364,544 times
Quote:
I guess it was about this time when it had a nice selection of anchor stores, which included Dillard's, Parisian, and Montgomery Ward. Are there others I am forgetting? And it had the nice open food court.

Old 07-02-2016, 09:15 AM

5,162 posts, read 7,364,544 times
Quote:
I think the former Profitt's should have been kept for another anchor. It and Costco #1008 could exist together.
The identical Proffitt's building in Columbiana Mall became a nice Belk store. But I don't think it was a Proffitt's before. Perhaps it was a J.B. White. And Belk also took over the former Sears store at that mall.

Old 07-02-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
I guess it was about this time when it had a nice selection of anchor stores, which included Dillard's, Parisian, and Montgomery Ward. Are there others I am forgetting? And it had the nice open food court.
J.B. White, which expanded into the mall, was nice before Dillard's. I enjoyed Oshman's Super Sports USA before it became Sports Authority.

Old 07-02-2016, 09:30 AM

Quote:
The identical Proffitt's building in Columbiana Mall became a nice Belk store. But I don't think it was a Proffitt's before. Perhaps it was a J.B. White. And Belk also took over the former Sears store at that mall.
Belk has been adding second anchor stores at various locations to separate women's departments from other departments.

Old 07-02-2016, 09:57 AM

4,602 posts, read 6,022,762 times
Quote:
Yes the Columbiana Belk store was originally JB White and was identical to the JB White store at Westgate which later became Profitt's eventually razed for Costco.

Both identical as you rode down I-26. They were really beautiful stores and a shame the Spartanburg one was torn down to make way for that ugly Costco building and gas bays.

Belk should have moved into that former JBW/Profitt's at Westgate as it was much nicer than their current old store. They could have put Costco at that Westgate Crossing side of the mall where Belk is now.

Old 07-03-2016, 08:31 AM

26 posts, read 31,793 times
Was there in '75 when they cut the ribbon at Westgate. Not overly excited as a 5th grader but I guess my Mother was! I remember the arcade and the Record Bar. Also the Picadilly Cafeteria.

It was a big deal for Spartanburg as the closest malls were McAlister Square in Greenville or Southpark in Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area