Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 02:11 PM

1 posts, read 5,018 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving to the Greenville area and I was wondering what are the best places to live in Greenville county? What places should I avoid? I have seen some homes near Westcliffe and near Berea but I have had multiple people tell me to steer clear of that area.

Also, what are the best schools in the area as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 06:02 PM

843 posts, read 1,431,557 times
We need more information. Close to grocery stores? What size lot/house? Need to be close to the interstate? Someone's perfect location is another person's hell. I for one would never live in one of those thrown up subdivisions in Simpsonville, but most people wouldn't want to live in my 1100 sqft ranch house.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:02 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,211,197 times
We have good friends who live in Westcliffe and know the area well.That was THE neighborhood on the westside back in the 70's.I might suggest Northwood Hills as an alternative.Its pretty much across the street from the Publix at Old Buncombe Rd and Poinsett Hwy, closer to Furman University.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:14 PM

632 posts, read 748,239 times
Westcliffe is still a relatively desirable neighborhood. Your money can buy a lot of house there, but the general surrounding area has gone down some in the past few years.

Old 02-21-2018, 06:45 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,291,047 times
The raw data for schools are in the SC state report cards:
https://ed.sc.gov/data/report-cards/

Note that you can look at archived reports going back several years. They are mainly based on standardized test scores but they give you an idea of school performance over time. I'd suggest looking at high schools first and then working back - there seem to be fewer excellent high schools compared to elementary schools where most of them are good. You have to be careful to make sure which schools homes you are looking for are zoned to - growth has moved attendance zones in weird ways at times. You may not be zoned for the closest or even second closest schools.

Do you need to commute to a specific area? That could have an impact on your decision of where to locate. Are you limited to Greenville County? There are also good schools in some of the neighboring communities (i.e. Byrnes High School in Duncan and Powdersville High School in Powdersville).

Berea isn't generally considered the most desirable area and the high schools over there (Berea and Tarvelers Rest) aren't among the best in the county, either.

Old 05-31-2018, 01:00 PM

58 posts, read 64,622 times
I agree with Mcat....

We need more information on what you are looking for and budget

Old 06-07-2018, 12:41 PM

10 posts, read 16,662 times
I moved here from CT in 2013 when my son started high school.. For me I love the Eastside...Taylors, Greer, near Riverside and Eastside High. Your best schools are in Taylors, and Greer bordering Taylors and Greenville.

Old 06-08-2018, 06:31 PM

58 posts, read 64,622 times
We moved to Greenville November 2016 and chose to live on the Eastside. My kids attend Riverside High, Northwood Middle, and Buena Vista Elementary and I can't say enough good things about them. We wanted a neighborhood with larger lots and to be close to restaurants/retail so that it would be the most like what our kids were used to in MI. I absolutely LOVE our neighborhood and the schools have been pretty great as well. Feel free to message me with any questions.

Old 06-09-2018, 04:07 AM

188 posts, read 331,942 times
We're new here too! We are building in Simpsonville because we liked the country feel, large lot size and good schools. I am not a Greenville expert by any stretch, but I think we'll be happy with our choice.

Old 06-09-2018, 06:51 AM

2,443 posts, read 2,868,283 times
As others said it depends on what you need to be living close to. We live in Greenville close to Woodruff Rd; husband loves Costco and can be there in 5 minutes; I can be downtown in less than 15 most days. Simpsonville has some lovely neighborhoods but it would take too long to get to most of the places we want to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area