Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2023, 12:10 PM

13 posts, read 8,517 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We are thinking of moving to Greer, SC from Wisconsin. There are some new developments coming to market from SK Builders. Any information you can share on this local builder is appreciated.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2023, 12:47 PM

31 posts, read 32,069 times
mptraSP My wife and I are strongly considering relocating there as well. We have included Greer on our places to check out. We are planning a recon mission the second week of June and are spending a full week there and have rented a house on Lake Hartwell about 45 minutes away to do some boating.

We are from the Appleton area and old man winter has been wearing us out for some time. GSP has been on our radar for about 10 years and decided to get serious about relocating some place warmer where the winters are mild late last year when the first snow began falling in late October.

WE have been to Greenville once for 1-1/2 days and we were impressed. We feel like it is a larger Fox Valley metro area Green Bay-Appleton-Oshkosh and looking forward to checking out housing options, rush hour traffic congestion, dining options and hopefully get the overall feel or "vibe" for the metro area.

Good luck.

Old 02-07-2023, 10:06 AM

4 posts, read 4,962 times
I live in Greer and I've been here for 8 months. I lived here in the early 90's for college, too. Feel free to reach out to me with any questions or concerns you may have.

Old 02-07-2023, 07:52 PM

2,442 posts, read 2,866,823 times
I've sold several SK homes; some were a bumpy road and others were more smooth. It depends on the individual superintendent. However, each home turned out beautifully in the end and I really think they are a good quality builder. You definitely need to work with your own buyers' agent to have someone on your side, as well as keeping an eye out on things if you are not local.
Greer is a beautiful area, as well, and the SK communities I have seen there have nice sized lots.

Old 02-08-2023, 10:10 AM

103 posts, read 128,902 times
We built with SK in 2020 and overall have been happy. We managed to find a neighborhood with larger 1/2 acre + lots, but many of their developments are postage stamp sized lots and slam packed together.

If you did proceed with them, definitely plan to stay on top of things with constant communication. If you're out of town, have someone that can do regular site visits (at least once a week) to check on things. Do framing and roofing inspections, and check details at every stage. If they make promises, get it in writing and don't sign the closing documents if any details were missed because you'll lose leverage to correct things after closing. Some neighbors were made verbal promises along the way to add/change/remove things but were never done.

They can do good work but your experience will highly depend on your superintendent. We had a great experience because our super was on top of things and made sure it was done right. Other neighbors have a very negative opinion of SK because they had a different superintendent and very different build experience. All in all, SK is good but you have to be the one staying on top of things because you can't necessarily depend on the superintendent to attend to every detail the way you might like.

Old 02-17-2023, 11:31 AM

144 posts, read 146,102 times
We followed our son and his family and grandsons with his move to this area.
We bought a home in a smaller development (high end) and are quite happy.
.7 acres, fenced with 3' fence for smaller dogs. Paid $318K for a 2000 sq. ft. home.
Nice trees everywhere and lots of water in retention basins like small lakes.
By road, we are 34 miles from the N. Carolina border.
On the downside, if you need anything it's a 20 minute ride down the highway to Wade-Hampton where the business community is located. Just not much in the way of shopping of any
kind up in our area.
On the upside, it's very quiet up here.

Last edited by w7kkk; 02-17-2023 at 11:40 AM..

Old 02-19-2023, 05:07 PM

Thanks everyone for the feedback. We know SK has two larger developments with 1/2 acre lots in north Greer by Lake Robinson and another in south Greer near Reidville. Both are attractive and would suit our needs for a quieter, slower speed of life. Great advice on keeping tabs of the project if a new build.

We'll be heading down in late March to look at some colleges in the Upstate for my son, a senior in HS. Perhaps we will have some time to check out Greer while we are there!

Old 02-25-2023, 03:18 PM

690 posts, read 1,145,792 times
Our 1st home was SK. Super cheap quality (total starter home back in '02 for 108K - ha! Those were the days) and we almost built a 2nd home with them but they screwed up and destroyed the lot (cleared out all the trees we wanted to keep) so we backed out.

In our experience (and we lived in our 1st SK home for 10 years) was that quality was pretty bad. But I've also heard they've improved over the years.

They tend to build up on the Greer area (the owner lives about 2 miles from our current home and in Greer).

They typically build on larger lots (1/2 acre or more) which is a nice plus if you like larger lots.

Old 03-05-2023, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
I've sold several SK homes; some were a bumpy road and others were more smooth. It depends on the individual superintendent. However, each home turned out beautifully in the end and I really think they are a good quality builder. You definitely need to work with your own buyers' agent to have someone on your side, as well as keeping an eye out on things if you are not local.
Greer is a beautiful area, as well, and the SK communities I have seen there have nice sized lots.
Speaking of Greer in particular, I hear that some parts of this town are zoned to Spartanburg County for property taxes as opposed to Greenville County. Would you have any insight on which county is more expensive?

We are a couple that are planning to retire in 7 years and so would not be keen on paying more on property taxes since the kids will no longer be going to school.

Thank you.

Old 03-06-2023, 01:58 PM

2,442 posts, read 2,866,823 times
Tax rates in Spartanburg County are slightly lower but it it's not a huge difference. As I'm sure you know property taxes in SC are lower than a lot of other places in any case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area