Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2023, 03:20 PM

31 posts, read 32,377 times

Advertisements

If I recall, the remnants of a hurricane came through the greater GSP area last year. Can anyone tell me if there were any flooding issues? My wife and I have been looking in the Easley area to the west and Inman area to the east. There appears to be flood plains in both area's where ho,es are being built. Any info that you can share would be appreciated. TIA

Scott
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2023, 06:40 PM

5,677 posts, read 5,901,269 times
Maybe some localized stuff, but nothing major. I really dont remember.

Old 03-06-2023, 06:07 AM

129 posts, read 172,917 times
Easley is at very low risk for hurricanes at over 200 miles inland. Effects from outer bands can be felt 150 miles +, but that would most likely be from a higher Cat level. Have you looked at the Pickens County GIS and FEMA Flood mapping?

Old 03-07-2023, 06:13 PM

7,260 posts, read 4,638,290 times
The terrain here typically results in the same flooding spots here and there. Don't really see wide spread flooding this region like in other parts of the state.

You can view Fema flood maps here (have to zoom into nearly neighborhood level for layers to appear unfortunately & sometimes can take good minute to initially load data. Data may not include dam failure scenarios.): https://hazards-fema.maps.arcgis.com...9338b5529aa9cd If you have a specific address can type that in here: https://msc.fema.gov/portal/home

Can also see some river height history here (click a colored dot to see current level and further down the page record levels, can see how far that is from property height if nearby potentially or investigate what happened on those dates): https://water.weather.gov/ahps2/index.php?wfo=gsp

Old 03-07-2023, 10:11 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,543,625 times
I saw on the news tonight they have a plan to reinforce Conestee Dam.

Old 03-08-2023, 12:02 PM

31 posts, read 32,377 times
Hey thanks for the quick replies. Have a great week everyone. First trip to GSP in a month. I/we cannot wait to scout out the area. We will be there for a week. 2nd trip planned for the 2nd week of June. Will the humidity be close to normal summer time conditions in June? I'm sure July August and September are the scorchers with full humidity.

Old 03-08-2023, 12:40 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,543,625 times
July and August are usually the worst for humidity but sometimes it stretches to June and September. I tolerate it because I would be dealing with snow if I had not moved here, and I could not handle that at my age. Also, where I came from gets as humid as it does down here.

Old 03-08-2023, 02:34 PM

17,612 posts, read 15,305,962 times
The only time I can remember significant flooding issues was back in 2006 or so.. I don't exactly recall the year, but we had like 3 hurricane remnants come through back-to-back-to-back

I remember the water treatment plant on Mauldin Rd was almost underwater.

Old 03-09-2023, 04:01 AM

606 posts, read 586,352 times
When we were looking for land to buy, we looked each potential parcel up on the county GIS site. This will tell you things like flood plains, etc. The way the weather seems to be getting crazier, we rejected anything in a flood plain. We ended up on top of a hill, so no flood issues here. You have to do your own due diligence. In FL, we nearly bought a house near a sewage treatment plant after an unscrupulous realtor tried to convince us that there wasn't an odor problem. There was a major problem there for years.

Old 03-09-2023, 02:52 PM

121 posts, read 95,502 times
I’ve lived in Easley all my adult life, and familiar with Inman. Flooding is not an issue here. Feel free to PM me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area