Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2023, 09:51 AM
Status: "dreaming of Glacier National Park" (set 17 days ago)

733 posts, read 348,961 times

Advertisements

Big Red,

Have you been to Denver? Take a google drive on the interstate that runs around the downtown and football stadium. That's a bleak landscape in my view. I don't follow how a person could drive in that for years but then have a problem with Wade Hampton and Laurens in Greenville.

I could see mentioning Wade Hampton and Laurens to somebody who is coming from Vail or similar but not an urban place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2023, 12:00 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,871,773 times
Yes, LakeMan, I have been to Denver. I don't actually recall if my client lived in Denver or one of the surrounding towns. Just reporting on my experience.

Old 04-08-2023, 02:59 PM

Understood.

I think it is tough find a house with mountain views near a downtown of Greenville's size without urban built up roads in the area.

Old 04-08-2023, 03:37 PM

I mentioned above that it is easy to avoid Wade Hampton if you live in Greenville. That includes people who live in neighborhoods around it.

Here's an example. Let's say you live in the Pebble Creek golf neighborhood Stone Creek off Stallings and W Mountain Creek Road on the Ledgewood Way street.

To get home from downtown, you can drive down North Main Street, right onto Rutherford Road, left onto North Pleasantburg, then shortly after take a right onto Piney Mountain Road before the Home Depot. You'll then make a right on State Park Road at the CVS and drive the rest of the way to your house on State Park.

Most people like the look of North Main, and Piney Mountain / State Park have a mountain vibe.

Let's say you don't like the look of the older Walmart on Wade Hampton. If you don't mind driving a little more, you can drive from this Pebble Creek neighborhood on State Park Road around the eastern side of Paris Mountain to a newer Walmart in Travelers Rest. That's only a 10 minute drive and it's all in the country.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 04-08-2023 at 03:47 PM..

Old 04-08-2023, 06:20 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,037,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMan45 View Post
That's a big move.

Other than family or job related reasons, the only reason I can see to make a long distance move to Greenville is proximity to the Blue Ridge. But you have access to the Rockies in Denver.

South Carolina is a relatively poor state. Some transplants, typically from large cities like Raleigh and Charlotte, are not happy with many aspects of Greenville like the roads, schools, lack of gentrified suburban areas, litter, shopping options and shopping center aesthetics, "red state" people, etc.

Some transplants like downtown Greenville so much they move here despite having problems from the start with other aspects. It leads to an internal conflict. People seem to view downtown Greenville as significantly more appealing than most downtowns. I believe Greenville is now a "blueblood" downtown , joining a small group of cities like Charleston, Savannah, and San Fran. Most downtowns look similar, corporate and nondescript.
Red State people are bad! But let me guess... "Tolerance" and "Coexist."

Am I right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area