Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2023, 04:31 PM

401 posts, read 275,602 times

Advertisements

DH and I, with our middle school and elementary aged kids, are looking into new construction online in both this are and Columbia. We have been wanting to move, not just like a state over like we did, for the past 13 years, but have always been too scared to actually do it.

Curious about the cost of living in this area? Crime? Are the schools good? DH can get a job transfer, but the pay is a lot less, but I am assuming the cost of living is much cheaper too. Are the people in SC generally welcoming to out of towners? I am not going to be one of "those" who comes in preaching how back North is so much better, but I also don't want it to be super hard for us to make friends?

Any info you could share!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2023, 06:19 PM

5,487 posts, read 8,318,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyYa80s View Post
DH and I, with our middle school and elementary aged kids, are looking into new construction online in both this are and Columbia. We have been wanting to move, not just like a state over like we did, for the past 13 years, but have always been too scared to actually do it.

Curious about the cost of living in this area? Crime? Are the schools good? DH can get a job transfer, but the pay is a lot less, but I am assuming the cost of living is much cheaper too. Are the people in SC generally welcoming to out of towners? I am not going to be one of "those" who comes in preaching how back North is so much better, but I also don't want it to be super hard for us to make friends?

Any info you could share!!
This area is loaded with transplants. I think you'll be fine.

Old 06-21-2023, 07:07 AM

5,671 posts, read 5,873,497 times
In the Fountain Inn area, there are a few new developments under construction right now. I would go as far as to say tha tthere are more transplnts than natives here. Ive worked in FI since I was 16 years old, (To supplemnet my farming) and you wont find a nicer place for the money. Be warned though, FI is growing!

Old 06-21-2023, 03:54 PM
Status: "dreaming of Glacier National Park" (set 10 days ago)

727 posts, read 343,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
I know people from both major political backgrounds that love the Simpsonville and Fountain Inn areas.
That wasn't my point. My point is there is a higher probability a person on team blue won't be happy in Greenville, especially out in a suburb like Simpsonville / Fountain Inn. I think the majority of people who are not happy in this area are on team blue. This is based on my interactions with them, like my current supervisor, and what they say.

There are a good number of what I call NASCAR Democrats in Fountain Inn and Laurens County. They tend to be 60 plus.

Old 06-21-2023, 05:24 PM
jac

389 posts, read 1,006,650 times
Where are you coming from? And what are the things you like about where you currently live?

Old 06-22-2023, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMan45 View Post
That wasn't my point. My point is there is a higher probability a person on team blue won't be happy in Greenville, especially out in a suburb like Simpsonville / Fountain Inn. I think the majority of people who are not happy in this area are on team blue. This is based on my interactions with them, like my current supervisor, and what they say.

There are a good number of what I call NASCAR Democrats in Fountain Inn and Laurens County. They tend to be 60 plus.
I work real estate. I've been around happy people from both backgrounds. I guess it's subjective. But I don't know of many who are unhappy. There is some diversity.

Old 06-25-2023, 07:36 PM

USA Today ranks Greenville a top 10 "small city" to raise a family.https://www.greenvilleonline.com/sto...c/70325192007/ These kind of lists usually drive some Greenville residents crazy over on Twitter. They try to refute Greenville being on them.

The schools were rated 8.5 out of 10 which feels like a miracle. There are some parents who are not happy with SC public schools especially the ones who research school scores.

I'm surprised they gave Greenville a 8.5 out of 10 for livability if the roads are worse than most other places, as many people claim.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 06-25-2023 at 07:58 PM..

Old 06-25-2023, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
I work real estate. I've been around happy people from both backgrounds. I guess it's subjective. But I don't know of many who are unhappy. There is some diversity.
I'm not making an assertion about the number of people in that group who are unhappy living in this area. I'm saying that group seems to have more people who are unhappy in the Greenville metro relative to other groups.

You also have to factor in other things as well like personality and hobbies. Some people who are unhappy here in my experience don't seem to have a hobby that helps them meet people.

If a person likes hiking and other outdoors stuff or if they play sports, they are more likely to like it here (in my view).

Old 06-25-2023, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMan45 View Post
I'm not making an assertion about the number of people in that group who are unhappy living in this area. I'm saying that group seems to have more people who are unhappy in the Greenville metro relative to other groups.

You also have to factor in other things as well like personality and hobbies.

If a person likes hiking and other outdoors stuff, they are more likely to like it here (in my view).
Gotcha.

Old 06-26-2023, 08:05 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,865,867 times
Thanks good thread so far, haven't looked into fountain inn much just yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area