Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2023, 04:42 PM

764 posts, read 508,571 times

Advertisements

Uber seems more convenient and cheaper than traditional taxi, hence, it has a market.

Now, many households may have some car(s) that they've been using for many years and you know, we then become sort of emotionally attached to such object... so, when they buy a new car, they may not be willing to sell such a used car immediately, while it's also true the used car may lose value a little bit if it keeps stayed with the family for a considerable period of time the family may still prefer such a vehicle stay with the family for some time... then, it just stays idle. Now, if that's quite true, why not lease/rent it to a neighbor or his/her visiting friend or the like for a week or a month something?
Then, all parties benefit from this arrangement.

Also, it's sort of like airbnb in the sense of leasing out extra capacity (not for space but for transportation).

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2023, 05:01 PM

302 posts, read 176,956 times
I heard of this before but I'm not sure if a company has successfully done it. They competitor is budget/avis/rent a car companies. I would only try this in an area without rent-a-car companies, like not near an airport. Or serve a different target market, like those who can't afford a car but needs a way to work. Public transportation is another competitor, so probably choose a city without a good transit system.

Old 09-02-2023, 06:50 AM

Some key assumptions:
* There are indeed quite a decent level of families that have an extra vehicle that they are no hurry to get rid of (supply)
* There are a meaningful number of people (potential customers) that have a short-term need for a vehicle (need/demand)
* Such vehicle owners are happy to lease/rent their spare vehicle at a decidedly cheap rate than car rental companies (competitiveness)

I myself is way too busy, otherwise, this opportunity might be worth further exploration.

Last edited by mw1984; 09-02-2023 at 07:20 AM..

Old 09-02-2023, 07:10 AM

7,258 posts, read 4,627,818 times
The most successful with this concept I’ve seen is Turo and actually has a quite a few in this area participating. Website: (if the log in thru other services window pops up and doesn’t let you pass just click Turo logo and it’ll bypass that screen): https://turo.com/

Can rent regular cars, electric ones, and occasionally super cars. There’s another but I can’t recall the name.

Old 09-02-2023, 07:25 AM

I don't think Turo would be successful.
One of the key assumptions:
"at a decidedly cheap rate than car rental companies (competitiveness)", based on my view of turo website for Greenville SC it's rate/price is actually higher than that of car rental companies.

Old 09-02-2023, 10:51 AM

4,600 posts, read 6,014,614 times
What about insurance? How does it work? Not sure I want someone uninsured driving my vehicle and don't want the liability if something happens and they hurt someone with my vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
View detailed profiles of: