Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 03:43 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,731,629 times

Advertisements

I'll be in NY for a few weeks, working the US Tennis Open and I'm bringing my wife and daughter. My company pays for my ticket but I had to buy the ticket for the girls. I can't believe how much money it is; $506 r/t For a little perspective three years ago my wife and I took a vacation to Australia and our flight from Los Angeles to Brisbane was $788 r/t. Until we get a lcc into Greenville we're going to keep paying these absurd prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 03:51 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,903,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
I'll be in NY for a few weeks, working the US Tennis Open and I'm bringing my wife and daughter. My company pays for my ticket but I had to buy the ticket for the girls. I can't believe how much money it is; $506 r/t For a little perspective three years ago my wife and I took a vacation to Australia and our flight from Los Angeles to Brisbane was $788 r/t. Until we get a lcc into Greenville we're going to keep paying these absurd prices.
With oil prices, LCC's are about to be a thing of the past. Southwest will be the last one standing, until their oil hedge is over. Low prices nationwide are about to be over.
506 actually sounds good to me considering what I've paid lately (and not just from GSP).

Old 07-31-2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
With oil prices, LCC's are about to be a thing of the past. Southwest will be the last one standing, until their oil hedge is over. Low prices nationwide are about to be over.
506 actually sounds good to me considering what I've paid lately (and not just from GSP).
Well, after the initial shock and disgust, I called my supervisor in LA and we checked flights from Charlotte instead. I just got the flight for $213 r/t. GSP just lost my business. This has nothing to do with LCC's, it has to do with the fact that for some stupid reason the dumb dumbs in charge of GSP charge one of the highest landing fees in the country, actually causing a disincentive for airlines to want to come here.

Old 07-31-2008, 05:14 PM

91 posts, read 271,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
I just got back to NY from Greenville/Spartanburg 2 weeks ago, and when I researched my flight options from NY, I found that fliying in/out of Newark, NJ to GSP was *much* cheaper than JFK or LGA - $162.50 R/T, *including* all taxes and fees, via Continental Airlines, and the flights were direct and only about 1 hour and 45 minutes each way. I booked
via travelocity.com. Hope this helps.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:29 PM

11,714 posts, read 24,900,941 times
Saved $600 flying out of Atlanta over GSP.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:09 PM

192 posts, read 431,037 times
I recently completed a trip to Washington DC.

I looked for flights about 90 days out and found:
$213 from Asheville
over $400 from GSP
over $300 from CLT

GASP! I had never thought about checking Asheville! Small airport; not a whole lot of entertainment while waiting . . . but for that price, who can resist?

Old 08-02-2008, 11:50 AM

At first I thought it was $600 I saved. Found out last night it was actually $800 cheaper to fly out of Atlanta over GSP.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:59 AM

5,893 posts, read 12,856,776 times
". . . for some stupid reason the dumb dumbs in charge of GSP charge one of the highest landing fees in the country, actually causing a disincentive for airlines to want to come here." (a partial of a quote by Sonrise)

I was thinking maybe, like some of the people on this board, those in charge of GSP don't want more people coming to Greenville either.

Old 08-02-2008, 12:28 PM

It has nothing to do with the people who run GSP. It is the airlines charging the high airfares. I do think the people who run GSP aren't the smartest of the bunch though.

Old 08-02-2008, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
It has nothing to do with the people who run GSP. It is the airlines charging the high airfares. I do think the people who run GSP aren't the smartest of the bunch though.

You're not getting my point or I'm not articulating it properly, probably the latter; from wiki:

Landing fees are a charge paid by an aircraft to an airport company for landing at a particular airport. Landing fees can vary greatly between airports, with congested airports, ones where most of the landing slots are held by airlines being able to charge premium prices because of supply and demand, while less congested airports charge less because the demand is not as high. The money generated by landing fees is used to pay for the maintenance or expansion of the airport's buildings, runways, aprons and taxiways.

Landing fees can also be used to attract more flights by keeping the fees low. Some airports, especially general aviation airports do not charge landing fees.

There may be a correlation between the amount of traffic an airport can manage and its fees, based on the assumption that a larger airport can handle more traffic and thus spread the total airport maintenance and operating costs out over more carriers, as well as being able to generate more revenues from concessions, retail, parking and other services.

Landing fees may encompass additional airports provided services. Some airports will simply charge a single fee for landing and provide gates and check-in facilies as part of that fee. Other airports will charge a lower fee for landing but will charge airlines for the use of gates and check-in facilities.

I can't find a link now but I recently read that GSP has the 2nd most expensive landing fees in the country. If true, this is utterly absurd. The lower the fees, the more airlines will come in, the more airlines the lower the prices, i.e competition. Hope that made sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area