Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2021, 08:45 AM

11,085 posts, read 17,532,479 times

Advertisements

My ex wife passed away unexpectedly yesterday morning. We were still friends and, thankfully, my wife is a big believer in families, so anything having to do with my sons, their mother was always invited. She lives about 90 miles away from us but my wife told her she could stay at our house when our son got married here. When my son called and told me, I sat down and had a good cry over it. We were married for just short of 20 years. Not all were good, obviously, but we did have a lot of good times. I got a message from a friend last night expressing her sympathies. Said she knows how it feels when your ex dies because she had been through it. I appreciated that.

On another part of this, after her death, our sons and their wives went to her house to get her life insurance policy and had no idea where she kept it. They have no idea if she had a will and can't find anything other than the deed to her house. Try to keep all important papers in one place and make sure more than one person knows where that place is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2021, 10:26 AM

1,937 posts, read 701,560 times
Sorry to hear that. Glad you were still friends.

That is a good point about important papers.

Old 09-04-2021, 12:19 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,446,284 times
My sincere condolences on this family loss.
The living offspring probably would fair well to put aside such venture in the legal side. Beyond the burial and death certificate. I say this is as person who has dealt with family dynamics where the will or insurance take precedence over the actual parts /opportunity to grieve . Those things can be sat aside for a week or two.its really NOT the next step after notification of loss. The genuine next step is to absorb this loss, Garner support. Share in the loss. Losing a parent is for some a wake up call on the finiteness of life. For some it's a relief.

For you as the ex, you are still apart of this recently departed life story. You too will have moments to access/reflect upon.

Be there for one another..it's not the piece of paper that will matter...it will be how each of you honor this person's legacy.

Old 09-04-2021, 04:01 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,247,288 times
I’m so sorry for your loss.

Here’s what I’m working on. https://www.doughroller.net/investin...or-your-death/

Old 09-04-2021, 04:12 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,532,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
My sincere condolences on this family loss.
The living offspring probably would fair well to put aside such venture in the legal side. Beyond the burial and death certificate. I say this is as person who has dealt with family dynamics where the will or insurance take precedence over the actual parts /opportunity to grieve . Those things can be sat aside for a week or two.its really NOT the next step after notification of loss. The genuine next step is to absorb this loss, Garner support. Share in the loss. Losing a parent is for some a wake up call on the finiteness of life. For some it's a relief.

For you as the ex, you are still apart of this recently departed life story. You too will have moments to access/reflect upon.

Be there for one another..it's not the piece of paper that will matter...it will be how each of you honor this person's legacy.
Nov3, the reason they did all this the day of her death is neither son live in the same town as their mother. One lives almost 60 miles away and the other about 90. The town where she died in the hospital was closer to where she lived, plus they needed the insurance policy for the funeral home. This way, instead of going home, then going to her place to look, then back home and back for the services, they went ahead and got everything at her house taken care of.

Old 09-04-2021, 04:26 PM

50,351 posts, read 63,928,555 times
My exhusband died a few years ago, too. It’s a strange set of emotions, I know. Our two grown children were at the funeral, but i wasn’t. He had 2 wives after me, but yet we were married when I was 18 and he was 22. We experienced our youth together, full of hopefulness. He remained a good father to our two children, and the two children with wife #2. My sadness was more about what might have been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning