Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2021, 10:00 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times

Advertisements

My in-laws are in the process of coordinating funeral plans for the recently deceased Matriarch of their family.

She had, to a certain extent, put a framework in place for her final wishes. She wished to be donated to science at a cadaver lab at a Medical/Nursing school affiliated with her Church. Turns out, they turned the body down because they don't have a need at this time.

Just an FYI, have a plan B if your Plan A is a bit different than a "traditional" plan (burial or cremation.)

Old 12-08-2021, 05:42 AM

4,143 posts, read 3,056,566 times
Agreed. I donated my body to the local medical school some time ago. There are a whole list of stipulations.

Old 12-09-2021, 04:07 AM

8,272 posts, read 8,657,742 times
My friend donated herself 3 months ago. I'm pretty sure she was taken where needed not some predetermined place. I don't remember the name of the organization.

Old 12-09-2021, 04:45 AM
ERH

1,700 posts, read 2,531,678 times
After reading these kinds of stories, I'd be less likely to donate.

Livestream Dissection
Donated Body Blown Up by Army

Old 12-09-2021, 05:22 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,530,954 times
My father left his body for science. He thought he was doing it for restless leg syndrome but in the end it was for a lesser known form of dementia. I hope the studies that are coming out now were helped by his donation. He'll be gone 9 years in 3 days. The place is called BioGift Anatomical, Inc.

https://biogift.org/

Old 12-09-2021, 07:08 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,390,372 times
We signed up to donate to a local place in the southwest. As we were in the process of moving back to Florida we learned that they were being prosecuted by the state for selling organs to the highest bidder.

That was 6 years ago and we have not learned anymore about it.

Old 12-10-2021, 10:25 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
I feel it might be too upsetting for my family to be honest.. How do you deal with this when the body is gone with no ceremony or goodbyes..I just dont know although I would like to help others once Im gone.

Old 12-11-2021, 07:41 AM

4,143 posts, read 3,056,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I feel it might be too upsetting for my family to be honest.. How do you deal with this when the body is gone with no ceremony or goodbyes..I just dont know although I would like to help others once Im gone.
My parents were cremated (not donated to science). No funeral service or viewing of the bodies. We had a memory service for dad at his church. I put the cremains on the table up front. Mom died during the COVID-19 lockdown, so no memory service. We had a graveside service where the vault containing both sets of cremains was buried by their tombstone.

Old 12-11-2021, 09:51 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
My father left his body for science. He thought he was doing it for restless leg syndrome but in the end it was for a lesser known form of dementia. I hope the studies that are coming out now were helped by his donation. He'll be gone 9 years in 3 days. The place is called BioGift Anatomical, Inc.

https://biogift.org/
Biogift is the organization my mother made arrangements with ( about 15 years before she died) to donate her body. She explained it all to us, along with her wishes to have her body donated to science. She had a card in her wallet, paperwork and had written these instructions into her will, and in her healthcare Advanced Directives. She didn't want anyone to miss those instructions.

When she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and headed for hospice, I contacted Biogift, and gave them her medical history ( required before they will accept a body). Even though they had her registration and contact information, they informed me they could not accept her, due mostly to the lack of projects they were connected with at the time, and because of her advanced age ( 93). They said at the time their projects were limited to providing bodies to a medical school for budding surgeons to practice hysterectomies on, and she had had a hysterectomy.

But the person I spoke to at Biogift did direct me to another organization that was bigger, had more projects going on and would be more likely to accept mom. This organization is Science Care, and they did take her.

Thinking part of the bottom line here is whether it's a university medical school program, or a commercial organization providing bodies for medical research or teaching purposes, they won't take a person's body if they don't have an immediate use for them ( aside, of course, from not taking someone with a potentially or actually contagious disease). I think you can be assured that if Biogift accepted your father, his body was used in some way to advance the cause of science and medicine.

Old 12-11-2021, 04:49 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,530,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Biogift is the organization my mother made arrangements with ( about 15 years before she died) to donate her body. She explained it all to us, along with her wishes to have her body donated to science. She had a card in her wallet, paperwork and had written these instructions into her will, and in her healthcare Advanced Directives. She didn't want anyone to miss those instructions.

When she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and headed for hospice, I contacted Biogift, and gave them her medical history ( required before they will accept a body). Even though they had her registration and contact information, they informed me they could not accept her, due mostly to the lack of projects they were connected with at the time, and because of her advanced age ( 93). They said at the time their projects were limited to providing bodies to a medical school for budding surgeons to practice hysterectomies on, and she had had a hysterectomy.

But the person I spoke to at Biogift did direct me to another organization that was bigger, had more projects going on and would be more likely to accept mom. This organization is Science Care, and they did take her.

Thinking part of the bottom line here is whether it's a university medical school program, or a commercial organization providing bodies for medical research or teaching purposes, they won't take a person's body if they don't have an immediate use for them ( aside, of course, from not taking someone with a potentially or actually contagious disease). I think you can be assured that if Biogift accepted your father, his body was used in some way to advance the cause of science and medicine.
Yes, Biogift has specific needs. My dad died in SC. They usually don't accept donations that far away but they flew the body to OR and returned the cremains in a reasonable timeframe. They were very happy to pay all the fees. Didn't bill Mom for anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning