Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2022, 06:37 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
And that's so annoying...! My dad passed away 5/2014. I didn't cry at his funeral. I didn't cry all that much. I had tons of things to do and was preoccupied with making sure my mom was ok. I remember even complimenting myself thinking I'm handling this so well!

But... two years ago I made an entry on my diary saying to get "daffodils for dad" to place on his graveyard.
And looking at that entry made me cry so hard. It was weird! Why did that entry of all things affect me so much years after he had passed? And I kept half expecting to run into my dad out on the street for some reason just like old times. I know I can't/won't but I was like half expecting to. And once in awhile I feel compelled to pass the nursing home where he spent his last days in hospice & just gaze at that building as if he's still there...

Grieving is weird.
It really is.

I still drive past the memory care unit where my mother lived and go slowly, slowly past "her" window - and she's been gone for 3 years. Sometimes she just weighs so heavily on my mind.

Same with my dad, though my memories of him are typically more joyful and funny. He was such a funny guy and I liked him so, so much. Plus he was handsome. When I met my husband for the first time, I said to him "OK, is this weird? Because you remind me of my dad." I knew right away that my parents would both really like him (they did).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2022, 05:28 PM

334 posts, read 263,841 times
Sending comforting thoughts to you Mink.

Like you I lost my mom and struggle with the aftermath. Some days are better than others. People expect us to move forward quicker than we do and support falls away. We realize pretty quick that nobody takes the place of our best friend mom and trying to replace her only makes the loss more pronounced.
There are so many "good daughters" who posted here to support you and that is quite wonderful.
It's clear our moms were so very fortunate to have us to look out for them and remember them with love when they're gone.

I'll share what my mom told me from her hospital bed on the Mother's Day before she passed. She said, "Enjoy the rest of your life". Even knowing she was dying...she wanted her daughter to honor her own life. And even though we're sad and miss them---we honor them by going forward and enjoying the life they gave us.
I'm trying to do that, and I hope you do too.
xoxox
Patty

Old 01-31-2022, 04:59 PM

7,090 posts, read 4,521,984 times
My dad died in 1993 and my mom in 2009. I was extremely close to both of them. They both were really suffering so while it was a blessing when they passed I still miss them. They were excellent parents I try to honor their memories by being a good parent to my own children. Time does lessen the pain. My mom had a long life so was luckier than many. I have had 5 of my friends die so getting older involves much loss.

Old 06-05-2022, 01:56 AM

1,378 posts, read 412,145 times
lost mine dec 2 of 2021 to covid. i think of my mom every day.

Old 06-10-2022, 08:12 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,695,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy739 View Post
Dear Mink, You were a wonderful daughter to her, and she was blessed to have you. May God comfort you in your loss. Hold onto the good memories. I think of my Mom often...how beautiful she was and how smart. Sometimes I did not understand her or what she was meaning by what she said, but so many years later I "get her". She is a part of you and you are a part of her and always will be.
Very nice and I agree. Nancy was my mom's name. Honestly, all Nancy's are wonderful people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning