Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2022, 07:52 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times

Advertisements

I think most people do, but it's not "proper" to say so.

I have an elderly relative, and every time I talk to him he mentions his age (mid-90s), and I'm sure that's what he's thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2022, 09:03 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Oh no!

Don't tell me that.

I do about 25 crossword puzzles a week, the challenging ones, in an effort to stave off any decline in my faculties.

Please let me keep my illusion.

That's depressing. If you are that depressed, you're already dead.

Yeah, I'm old enough to think about my mortality (occasionally) but if I'm gonna be that depressed over it I'll just dig a hole, climb in and cover myself up.

Meantime, life is good.
My Mom did crosswords. Read books in her old age. Died at 91, mind still sharp as a tack.

Old 07-03-2022, 10:19 PM

11,015 posts, read 6,870,183 times
I don't actually believe that study about the crossword puzzles. My stepmother did the the New York Times one every single night which is supposedly one of the hardest ones. She died at 90 sharp as a tack.

Old 07-03-2022, 11:02 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,031,411 times
No regrets whatsoever about my life. I have asked my spouse more than once if he has anything left he wants to do (bucket list) and we are both happy with the way things are, nothing big left to do, just enjoy our life, look forward to a nice dinner and maybe a nice movie, currently watching The Lincoln Lawyer on Netflix, very enjoyable.

We were both hard workers, poor for many years self-employed until we figured out how to make a better living. Covid fear has been no fun but as retirees it's less stressful to us than many others (and considering how much stress we felt that's saying a lot).

I think lookbacks with regret are wasteful. I always make the best decision possible given the circumstances so have no regrets about coulda-woulda-shoulda. I think about death but not morbidly, just because I'd hate my husband to have to go through my stuff and figure out what to do with it. I'm an painter and woodworker and my work is big. I read that Picasso, after getting famous and having money, bought bigger houses just to have a place for his many artworks and that made sense to me haha.

Live your life right now, not the past. So what if you can't run a mile now, take a walk, enjoy what you have available. Stop focussing on what is missing and look at what you have. I really try and stay away from people who only look at the negative without seeing the positive as well, that attitude will kill your spirit.

If you have no money try volunteering with an animal rescue or handicapped people and maybe see that money isn't everything although I do remember being poor, it's no fun. Bad health is hard to deal with daily but many people do it and still find something to smile about. Most of all live your life, with no regrets, every day.

Old 07-04-2022, 10:33 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinneyWalker View Post
Do you mourn the loss of your life? I do not mean "death" per se but the fact that your life is drawing to a close, and you realise your race is run. It is over. You cannot go back and do anything differently. Any of the dreams you had that you did not achieve will never be achieved now. I am not talking about middle age angst. I am talking about your last few years on earth.
No one knows when the end of your life is going to be. There's no way of knowing when your last few years will be. Keep on living.

Old 07-04-2022, 11:15 AM

19,021 posts, read 14,198,297 times
THE end goal for sequential & linear time bound, partially furred, variously garbed, electrically powered, water filled, gas processing, food cooking, meat bags inhabited by sentient nondimensional beings is to ride them until they break, and get in line to ride another.

Regrets?

Not really - I got this far!

Old 07-04-2022, 11:43 AM

6,422 posts, read 7,665,924 times
My regrets are more general than anything else.
I wish I had more courage when afraid,
I wish I had been more greedy instead of so giving,
I wish I had understood the world sooner.
I wish I had laughed more and cried less.
I wish I had sooner accepted the things I cannot change.

Old 07-04-2022, 05:13 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
My motto for decades has been "Live with no regrets." In other words, if you want to go someplace badly enough, go. If you feel love for someone, tell them. If you are thinking that a particular color of shirt looks good on someone, even a stranger, tell them.

What's that old saying about no one laying on their deathbed wishing they had made more money? Something like that. What they want to do is talk to the people they love. Maybe they are just now realizing how much they love them, I don't know.

My husband died suddenly and unexpectedly. I am eternally grateful that the last words we spoke to each other were "I love you." Why? Just because we always got off the phone like that. Neither of us had any idea that a few hours later, he'd be dead. But we did everything we wanted to do up till that moment. We made love, we told each other we loved each other, we explored new places together, we went on road trips, we ate out when we wanted to, and our lives were not perfect but they were good. Mine still is. I have learned a lot from him dying young and suddenly - one thing I've learned is that his death was a good death. I hope mine is as good. But even if I get old and senile or decrepit or crippled, I want to sit in the sun with a dog at my feet and a big glass of cold iced tea as many days as I can. Meanwhile, I've done many things, some of which I never even expected to be able to do. I would rather focus on what I HAVE done rather than what I haven't done. And I'd rather focus on who I have loved rather than who I have lost. Hope that makes sense.

Old 07-07-2022, 03:20 PM

7,774 posts, read 6,381,525 times
At 88 I wonder how far I have left to go. My wife of 62 years has been in a nursing home for over a year.

Old 07-07-2022, 03:21 PM

11,015 posts, read 6,870,183 times
I'm so sorry... I hope you are able to visit her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning