Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 03:15 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Oh, another thing that really pishes me out about that HSUS video/write-up about how bad dove hunting is: it was written to imply that dove only breed in the fall during hunting season. That's malarkey. In warmer climates they can basically breed year round. Farther North they start around march and continue through about October.
I hear ya. Mis-infomation is the scumbag antis best friend. I have two breeding pairs around my house all year long. They even sit on the power lines and watch me BBQing their brethren sometimes. My kids used to feed them and coo to them when they were younger. Then they would come inside and scarf down dove breast after dove breast for dinner. LOL what a great commercial that would make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 06:38 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
HSUS has no credibility.

They claimed most hunters don't bother to retrieve the doves...absurd, and I guess they've conveniently left out the waste of game laws...

Old 10-12-2010, 02:52 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
A few hunts when the dove were scarce we brought home a few pidgin. Same great taste just a bit bigger.

Old 10-13-2010, 01:26 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
A few hunts when the dove were scarce we brought home a few pidgin. Same great taste just a bit bigger.
I've actually eaten a rock dove or two. I had an ethical dilemma about killing pigeons during a live-flyer dog training exercise and decided to eat them.

The immature, young birds (which are easily identified by close inspection) are very, very similar to white-wing dove, only, as you said, larger. There is a reason that squab is considered a delicacy, it seems. The mature, older birds: markedly different and almost gross. It is definitely food but not that definitely.

Anyway, since I can't really find the motivation to eat pigeons I don't participate in live-shoot training anymore. We still train with wingers and shackled birds and some still get killed incidentally, but I don't feel like I'm racking up black spots on my soul that way.

Old 10-16-2010, 11:58 AM

4,098 posts, read 7,106,149 times
Default Hunting Misrepresented

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero/Infinity View Post

The tiger, one of nature's most beautiful, powerful and intelligent animals, is currently endangered due to hunting. Do you think these people were eating the tigers? If they were, do you think the tiger was their best and easiest choice for them to eat? Do you think they had no more sustainable meat available? Hunters, justify this: a "time honored tradition" is killing of one of Earth's most beloved creatures.

You might say that you hunt only animals that are not endangered. Well, tigers weren't always endangered either.

You might say that any meat is contributing to the decline of a species. This really isn't a thought out argument. These animals were born for food. Tigers weren't. Foxes weren't. Deer weren't.

So before the next time you go out on a hunt... think about how you are impacting not just this animal, not just this environment, but the entire world. Perhaps, because of you, your great-grandchildren will never be able to go into the forest and see a deer or a fox. Don't we owe them the opportunity to experience nature and her beauty? Don't we?
In a few simple words that maybe you can understand: You don't know what you're talking about!

Old 10-16-2010, 05:01 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
He sure don't know nuthin about deers.. That's a fact! Gators are endagnered in the NYC sewers too, a place they should never have been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting