Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 05:13 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,493,960 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I don't really know much about guns. But, I decided to purchase one. It's really just for self defense. Nothing else. I really do love the Beretta U22. Very nice design and it looks awesome, AND it's relatively affordable. It comes in different versions and I'm talking about the 4.5 barrel version because that one is 8.8 inches long. But now I was told a 22 might not be the best caliber for self defense. Honestly, I did not even know there was such a big difference in firepower between all those calibers.I went to Academy and looked at some 380. The design just sucks, but I guess that's ok. The only one I really do like in terms of the design is the Beretta anyway. I don't want to spend much money and would like to stay at around 250 Dollars. It just needs to be small ( no more than 8-9 inches long ) and at least a 380. Or would a 22 still do the job? I don't want to kill anybody but someone told me heard of someone shooting 6 times and he still was running around. And if somebody breaks into your house and has possibly a gun himself, I guess that wouldn't help you much. So that didn't do much. Of course, that's just what I was told. Academy has a 9mm on its website for 300, but it's pretty ugly ( I know, doesn't matter that much) and I don't think I need a 9mm. That's too much. Does anybody have some input?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 05:16 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,217,483 times
A .22 is the perfect firearm for personal defense if you don't mind getting your ass kicked by the guy you just shot before he dies.

Seriously, a .22 is a terrible self defense round. It's tiny and has little stopping power. 9mm, .40, .45 are all good self defense rounds that can provide some good stopping power with the right ammunition. I'd look beyond the .22 for that purpose. Once you do buy something, practice practice practice until it becomes perfectly natural to operate it. Simply having a gun handy is of little use unless you are proficient with it.

Old 12-10-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
A .22 is the perfect firearm for personal defense if you don't mind getting your ass kicked by the guy you just shot before he dies.

Seriously, a .22 is a terrible self defense round. It's tiny and has little stopping power. 9mm, .40, .45 are all good self defense rounds that can provide some good stopping power with the right ammunition. I'd look beyond the .22 for that purpose. Once you do buy something, practice practice practice until it becomes perfectly natural to operate it. Simply having a gun handy is of little use unless you are proficient with it.
You mean not even a 390 ACP?

Academy - Smith & Wesson Sigma SW9VE 9 mm Double-Action Pistol

That's the cheapest ( 300 Dollars ) 9mm they have on their website. It looks awful, though.

Old 12-10-2011, 06:04 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,525,969 times
Kel-Tec PF-9. Very (or fairly - prices are relative to wallet size) inexpensive, one of the more compact 9mm's on the market in terms of concealability, is pretty light, and has earned a reputation of being one of their better guns reliability-wise in the cheap gun market, which is important if the purpose is for defense.

They make a .380 model that is even smaller and more concealable... but people here will probably steer you away from anything under 9mm (or even away from the 9mm itself) because too many people read the gun magazines/Internet way too much and have been mildly infected with Dirty Harry-itis.

Old 12-10-2011, 06:13 PM

8,110 posts, read 12,840,475 times

This is the gun I carry. It is a Kimber pro-carry II in .45ACP which is the minimum round I would ever consider for a personal defense round.

Does the gun "look good"? Who cares? It's function is not a fashion accesory, its only purpose is to propel 230 grains of bullet out of the barrel at over 900 feet per second and deliver 414 ft·lbf of energy to the target.

The reason I will only buy 1911 style handguns is simple. Do you see the grip safety below the trigger? The firearm will not discharge unless a hand is firmly gripping the weapon. Secondly, the weapon can safely be carried cocked and the positioning of the manual safety allows for quick release.

All in all, ugly or not, it is a design that has been around for a hundred years and has worked well.

Old 12-10-2011, 06:27 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,357,498 times
Kahr PM9 One of the smallest 9mm made. My hubby loves this gun. You can not see it, it light weight and he likes the way it shoots.

Kahr Arms PM9 Pistol 9mm 8rd Stainless PM9093A

Old 12-10-2011, 06:39 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,430,459 times
I carry a Kel Tec P11. Its a small double stack 9MM that weighs less loaded than my 380 does empty.

There is really alot more to consider than just caliber. My P11 is a DAO (double action only) action. It takes a long deliberate trigger pull but is very safe and simple to operate. The Kimber pictured above is single action. The hammer needs to be back and the grip saftey depressed before you can shoot it. It too is very safe but not so simple to a new shooter. It can be carried cocked & locked if a person likes or with the hammer down if its a newer model, I'd carry it decocked but thats just me. One way you need to thumb off a saftey to shoot, the other you need to thumb back the hammer, neither is hard to master and to me an uncocked gun is always safer than a cocked one. There are guns that are double action for the first shot & single action for the rest. Thats likely the most common set up. That way you can carry with the hammer down & just squeeze the trigger to shoot but the following shots will be single action. Single action fire is usually easier to master, but going from double to single can be tough under pressure.
Then there are revolvers too. Alot to choose from & while caliber is important a comfortable platform you are familiar with is too. IMHO you are better off with a 22 you can shoot well & comfortably than a bigger gun you are fumbling with.
Whatever gun you choose you should shoot with alot at first to gain familiarity with it. Thats another reason I chose a 9mm. Ammo is relatively cheap so I can shoot it alot. .380 has come down but other than 22 not much is cheaper than 9mm. If you shoot alot you will be able to hit things much better and manipulate your gun better too. Hopefully you never need it but if you do you dont want to be flipping it over trying to figure out what does what. Thats why I ended up with a double actio only semi auto. There are no controls & no saftey. You just point & shoot.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:47 PM

12,961 posts, read 13,395,621 times
Look at the Ruger P95 - not bad lookin' and is a reliable 15+1 shot 9mm. They run about $300 in a decent gun shop:

Ruger® P-Series P95™ Centerfire Pistol Models

But go to a shooting range that rents handguns, get some handling & safety instruction, and see what you are comfortable with.

Last edited by ScoPro; 12-10-2011 at 09:02 PM..

Old 12-10-2011, 08:58 PM

12,961 posts, read 13,395,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary54mi View Post
Kahr PM9 One of the smallest 9mm made. My hubby loves this gun. You can not see it, it light weight and he likes the way it shoots.

Kahr Arms PM9 Pistol 9mm 8rd Stainless PM9093A
Kahrs are nice pistols, but a bit pricey ($500+) unless one gets a CW or CM model - those will run around $350 - $400.

I really like my new CW45 and early model PM9:

Old 12-10-2011, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post

This is the gun I carry. It is a Kimber pro-carry II in .45ACP which is the minimum round I would ever consider for a personal defense round.

Does the gun "look good"? Who cares? It's function is not a fashion accesory, its only purpose is to propel 230 grains of bullet out of the barrel at over 900 feet per second and deliver 414 ft·lbf of energy to the target.

The reason I will only buy 1911 style handguns is simple. Do you see the grip safety below the trigger? The firearm will not discharge unless a hand is firmly gripping the weapon. Secondly, the weapon can safely be carried cocked and the positioning of the manual safety allows for quick release.

All in all, ugly or not, it is a design that has been around for a hundred years and has worked well.
Well, but isn't this gun expensive as hell? Quickly gogoled it and saw it's about 1000 bucks. If I looked at the right one..

And thanks for the suggestions, everybody. I will check them out. Like I said, it's really just for self defense. If it wasn't, I guess I would be ok with shelling out more money for a pistol, but that's why I don't want to spend too much. I guess you're right that the look dosen't matter, but damn.. some of them are extremely ugly, to say the least! Don't understand at all why they do not come up with better designs - like the Beretta U22.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting