Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 09:43 AM

409 posts, read 318,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittKat View Post
I've talked to MANY different people, because I want to make sure that I'm going about it the right way. I have to set aside my stubbornness and actually LISTEN to what everyone is telling me, and make the best decision that way (or at least the best decision that my stubborn mind will let me, lol).

I've talked to quite a few women about it as well...that was another huge plus to the gun show yesterday. Gave me plenty of insight to feed my mind! Ha! I even surprised my boyfriend when he found out that I finally understood the difference between DA and SA...which he himself didn't even fully understand.

Made me feel pretty darn good!!!!!!!!!!!!
Make sure you come back after firing a .38 SPL, 9mm or .40 S&W FOR THE FIRST time to let us all know how it turned out. Please! IMO, you won't have a problem!

Old 01-30-2012, 09:53 AM

457 posts, read 889,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxQ View Post
My proof is MOST women can handle a 9mm if given the chance. Of course, if their BF or husband fills their heads with scare tactics, they won't even TRY it!
Luckily no one is trying to use scare tactics with me, but most everyone seems to be giving me decent advice from what I can gather. I'm getting about equal numbers saying to start with a .22 as I am ones telling me that I'd be alright to start out with something like a .380 or 9mm.

That being said...every time I picked up the .380...I don't like the fact that it doesn't feel like there is much there. Maybe that's because they're primarily built for concealed carry, or I was just picking up the wrong ones...I don't know...but I didn't like it...at all. I like the feeling of having something in my hand...and those little things felt horrible in my hand...very awkward!

The only thing I can say that people are giving me the "scare tactic" advice with, is whether I should get a semi-auto, or a revolver. A LOT of people have said to go with a revolver...but so far, I've not found one that I can truly say that I like, so that doesn't seem to be an option that I'm willing to budge on...at this point. I may walk away from my first class with a very different viewpoint. Who knows!?

My thought and HOPE is....is that if I buy a decent quality semi-auto, I won't have to worry too much about jams and things like that. At the same time...I am planning on taking MANY courses, and practicing every aspect that I possibly can, as often as I possibly can.

This is something that I am not taking lightly by ANY means...because I want to be comfortable that I 110% know what I'm doing should I ever have to present my weapon in a defensive manner.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Make sure you come back after firing a .38 SPL, 9mm or .40 S&W FOR THE FIRST time to let us all know how it turned out. Please! IMO, you won't have a problem!
I will! Will probably be in a couple of weeks. The course that I found that I'm taking...is a CCW course. The best thing about it, is that they will let me try out the different styles and calibers before testing to see what I'm most comfortable with.

So...I'm kind of doing things a bit backwards in one sense...since I'm getting my CCW first...BUT...I absolutely WILL NOT be carrying (except for when I'm heading to the range) until I've gone through some other courses and feel 100% comfortable with whichever weapon I choose.

I'd rather not have a weapon on me and have something happen, than to have it...and not feel comfortable using it.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Luckily no one is trying to use scare tactics with me, but most everyone seems to be giving me decent advice from what I can gather. I'm getting about equal numbers saying to start with a .22 as I am ones telling me that I'd be alright to start out with something like a .380 or 9mm.

That being said...every time I picked up the .380...I don't like the fact that it doesn't feel like there is much there. Maybe that's because they're primarily built for concealed carry, or I was just picking up the wrong ones...I don't know...but I didn't like it...at all. I like the feeling of having something in my hand...and those little things felt horrible in my hand...very awkward!

The only thing I can say that people are giving me the "scare tactic" advice with, is whether I should get a semi-auto, or a revolver. A LOT of people have said to go with a revolver...but so far, I've not found one that I can truly say that I like, so that doesn't seem to be an option that I'm willing to budge on...at this point. I may walk away from my first class with a very different viewpoint. Who knows!?

My thought and HOPE is....is that if I buy a decent quality semi-auto, I won't have to worry too much about jams and things like that. At the same time...I am planning on taking MANY courses, and practicing every aspect that I possibly can, as often as I possibly can.

This is something that I am not taking lightly by ANY means...because I want to be comfortable that I 110% know what I'm doing should I ever have to present my weapon in a defensive manner.
You would be right on the mark here. Don't buy a small .380 ACP (IE Ruger LCP) for a FIRST handgun. Buy something that has a full sight radius, fits the hand well, has good mag capacity, has a long enough barrel to forgive some less than perfect skill. Taking a class with a Sig P-250 would be much easier than a Ruger LCP or Beretta Tomcat. You want to learn how to shoot and have a firearm that will perform in a combat situation. The small firearms are for purse or pocket guns and or a back up weapon. You can get one later once you are set and off running. Oh, BTW... when you are into a Sig Sauer, GLOCK, S&W M&P and the likes...your reliablity as darn near a revolver! It's always fun to run and gun beside some on a combat course. It makes the diehards eat their words in a hurry!

Old 01-30-2012, 10:09 AM

46,313 posts, read 27,117,053 times
Quote:
My proof is MOST women can handle a 9mm if given the chance. Of course, if their BF or husband fills their heads with scare tactics, they won't even TRY it!
We have told you many times that we agree with that...but for some reason you keep telling us that we continue to fill thier heads with "they cannot"....why can yo unot understand that?

Quote:
Yes, MOST...NOT ALL as you have been saying....

Quote:
I really hope she does and she can handle the gun she chooses.....but would'nt you fel really bad if she came back and said she could not....

That would be great if that is what you were or have been saying.....but since that is NOT what you were saying....then....that goes right in on ear and out the other...

Old 01-30-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
You would be right on the mark here. Don't buy a small .380 ACP (IE Ruger LCP) for a FIRST handgun. Buy something that has a full sight radius, fits the hand well, has good mag capacity, has a long enough barrel to forgive some less than perfect skill. Taking a class with a Sig P-250 would be much easier than a Ruger LCP or Beretta Tomcat. You want to learn how to shoot and have a firearm that will perform in a combat situation. The small firearms are for purse or pocket guns and or a back up weapon. You can get one later once you are set and off running. Oh, BTW... when you are into a Sig Sauer, GLOCK, S&W M&P and the likes...your reliablity as darn near a revolver! It's always fun to run and gun beside some on a combat course. It makes the diehards eat their words in a hurry!
The Glock 17 was another one that I was considering after having it shown to me yesterday...until I discovered the Sig. I had looked at a couple of other Glocks, but didn't feel comfortable with many of them...until someone handed me the 17. I really liked it. Very easy to slide back and release. Still though...I have (at least for now) fallen completely in love with that Sig! Hopefully...when I fire it...I will love it even more!!!

I have tons of confidence that I will be just fine with a semi-auto. Anyway...I don't understand how having a revolver would help to prepare for having a semi-auto jam on me. You can't ever learn how to handle it if there is never an opportunity for it to happen. I could have a revolver for 10 years and still know nothing about a semi-auto, so I don't understand the push towards revolver.

Well...I DO understand...and yet at the same time I don't. The "reliability" factor I get...it's the rest of it that leaves me wondering.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
I will! Will probably be in a couple of weeks. The course that I found that I'm taking...is a CCW course. The best thing about it, is that they will let me try out the different styles and calibers before testing to see what I'm most comfortable with.

So...I'm kind of doing things a bit backwards in one sense...since I'm getting my CCW first...BUT...I absolutely WILL NOT be carrying (except for when I'm heading to the range) until I've gone through some other courses and feel 100% comfortable with whichever weapon I choose.

I'd rather not have a weapon on me and have something happen, than to have it...and not feel comfortable using it.
You were fortunate to find a class such as that. Some indoor ranges/gun shops put on classes like that. They let you use some of their rentals while doing it. However, getting Larry, Massad, or Clint Smith to let you put your paws in their own personal custom 1911 is doubtful! Like I said, in most cases...you need to bring your own. One that conforms to the standards acceptable on the list. When signing up, you can get that info before even showing up or signing up.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
The Glock 17 was another one that I was considering after having it shown to me yesterday...until I discovered the Sig. I had looked at a couple of other Glocks, but didn't feel comfortable with many of them...until someone handed me the 17. I really liked it. Very easy to slide back and release. Still though...I have (at least for now) fallen completely in love with that Sig! Hopefully...when I fire it...I will love it even more!!!

I have tons of confidence that I will be just fine with a semi-auto. Anyway...I don't understand how having a revolver would help to prepare for having a semi-auto jam on me. You can't ever learn how to handle it if there is never an opportunity for it to happen. I could have a revolver for 10 years and still know nothing about a semi-auto, so I don't understand the push towards revolver.

Well...I DO understand...and yet at the same time I don't. The "reliability" factor I get...it's the rest of it that leaves me wondering.
Here's a little tip from only few. Revolvers CAN and do jam up or lock up. The only difference is, once done, you are SCREWED!! Most semis can be cleared quickly, as long as you have been trained to do so and practice it.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
We have told you many times that we agree with that...but for some reason you keep telling us that we continue to fill thier heads with "they cannot"....why can yo unot understand that?

Yes, MOST...NOT ALL as you have been saying....

I really hope she does and she can handle the gun she chooses.....but would'nt you fel really bad if she came back and said she could not....

That would be great if that is what you were or have been saying.....but since that is NOT what you were saying....then....that goes right in on ear and out the other...
No worries...if I can't, then I can't. I'll just have to keep practicing until I can. I think I'll be okay with a 9mm...but I won't know for sure until I try. I definitely have no plans of purchasing until I've fired the different rounds and have a feel for what I like.

I've handled and fired shotguns, so there isn't a matter of me being nervous or scared about handling or firing a gun...just lack of knowledge when it comes to handguns. Which...is why I came to you all!!

MAYBE...I could have told you guys that a bit sooner...but I still think that your responses would be the same...since I'm sure that there is a vast difference between the two!

Old 01-30-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Here's a little tip from only few. Revolvers CAN and do jam up or lock up. The only difference is, once done, you are SCREWED!! Most semis can be cleared quickly, as long as you have been trained to do so and practice it.
This is something that no one...literally NO ONE has told me so far! Good to know!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting