Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should the general public be allowed to posses?
Anything, including weapons that the Gov doesn't have. 137 65.55%
Restricted to what Gov has. 31 14.83%
Restricted to far less than what the Gov has. 23 11.00%
Restricted to hunting rifles and shotguns only. 21 10.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 209. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 10:17 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times

Advertisements

If I understand this poll, it is restricted to a discussion of firearms - and the founding fathers and the US constitution already answered that poll for you. The 2nd ammendment is clear that a citizen of our country are "allowed to possess" any firearm he damn well pleases, although some types are regulated in that you need certain permits, etc. If one wanted a fully automatic machine gun, he could get it, subject to lots of money and some paperwork.

For the most part, I am comfortable with today's gun laws, understanding that it has been reached within a level of compromise. A few minor issues maybe but nothing I can't live with. In some states and cities their gun laws are of course more draconian (i.e. - Illionois, City of New York, California) and are unacceptable to me. But here where I am, I own guns, I carry the guns I need (and have obtained the proper government permits), and am content.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 10:47 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
If I understand this poll, it is restricted to a discussion of firearms - and the founding fathers and the US constitution already answered that poll for you. The 2nd ammendment is clear that a citizen of our country are "allowed to possess" any firearm he damn well pleases, although some types are regulated in that you need certain permits, etc. If one wanted a fully automatic machine gun, he could get it, subject to lots of money and some paperwork.

- snip -
So the Second Ammendment says:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear some arms after permits are filed, shall not be infringed.

I'm not sure that would work.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:14 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,447,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear some arms after permits are filed, shall not be infringed.

You got that right.

Where I agree that certain restrictions do need to apply (such as mental defectives/drug addicts, and people consistently convicted of firearms-related felonies), though the definitions of some of those are not that easily defined, there does need to be some limits in the extreme cases.

Rules that annoy me are also laws such as about open-breech guns vs. fixed-breech guns (the big stuff). Myself, one single person, is not exactly going to take over the country with a howitzer.
So I can go out and buy a fixed-breech mountain howitzer (no license or anything needed), yet if I want one that takes a shell, all hell breaks loose.
I don't get it.

I still don't understand the true definition of an 'assault rifle'. A Ruger 10/22 (probably many kids' first rifle) with a drum of 100 would make me a little more scared than a .50BMG bolt-action bullpup.

Slowly, but steadily, the restrictions get tighter and tighter, and it requires more and more time, effort and money to keep what the 2nd Amendment promises us.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:58 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Citizens should not be allowed to own any weapons that the government doesn't have.

So we shouldnt have rimfires, revolvers or anything else not current issue?

I think the government shouldnt have anything we cant have, since in this country the people ARE the government.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post

Ha, yeah no argument there. But we are at the point now, except for some serious anti-gun nuts and political crusadors, in that most people are comfortable with current gun laws (according to the latest polls that have come out, most people are pro-gun given the current laws, which is probably the only reason we have that Obama hasn't made it any kind of political platform to satisfy his liberal base). So...I am willing to compromise, as long as there is absolutly no swing into more regulations or laws.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
So we shouldnt have rimfires, revolvers or anything else not current issue?

I think the government shouldnt have anything we cant have, since in this country the people ARE the government.
It's more than that of course...the right to bear arms was designed as a counterpoint and check, to protect us from an unjust government (if, for instance, the government decided they no longer wished to represent the people).

Old 04-18-2012, 04:07 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
On possession whatever your wallet can afford that is not regulated by an international treaty.

I'm also a believer in eliminating every other restriction too, why can you walk into a hardware store and pick up a chainsaw with no background check, but not a rifle or handgun? Would someone going "postal" in a crowded public area with a rifle or handgun result in more deaths and injuries than a chainsaw? I'd suspect not.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:35 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
It's more than that of course...the right to bear arms was designed as a counterpoint and check, to protect us from an unjust government (if, for instance, the government decided they no longer wished to represent the people).

Actually the second amendment was meant to see civilians armed with the conventional military arms of the times. Today that would mean select fire rifles & semi auto handguns. Of course all other small arms are covered as well but they certainly didnt want us limited to "less effective" weapons as we are today.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:00 AM

369 posts, read 964,581 times
My replies in red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
Oh geez... then I guess I should be in Federal prison (after going through all the Federal and state paperwork multiple times, for my collection).

All I need from my CLEO is his signature stating I can possess any class-3 instruments, the transfer stamps from the BATFE for the sears, and I can have a brand-new semi-auto gun built (not full auto, but becomes one when I legally drop in the sear). The sears are what are registered, not the gun. Yeah drop in sears are lawfull - provided they were manufactured prior to 1986. Pay your 200 dollar tax, wait six months for the stamp and you're GTG.

Quote:"Basically it prohibited the manufacture, transfer and sale of fully automatic firearms
, manufactured after May - 1986<--- I should have added this earlier.

Tell that to Dillon.
What a load of cr*p. It is NOT illegal... just get the proper paperwork. Yes for anything manufactured prior to '86. You cannot own a Dillion Areo minigun A six-year-old is smart enough to fill it out. Want to come play with my (legal) MP5 or M2A1?
I have my own NFA firearms, but thank you very much !
I see why the nickname of CD is "Chronic Disinformation". Geez.

Quote:"By doing just a little research on your own, you might actually learn something about the subject."

Well, by actually going through the process yourself, all the research is over. Been there, done that, numerous times.
I wasn't talking to you.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:11 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,447,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrtwigg View Post
My replies in red.

I wasn't talking to you.
You were spewing 'Chronic Disinformation', so a response was warranted. Come on over and play with the Dillon Mini... Of course we civilians are allowed to own them. Shall I post a picture?

Doesn't matter who you are talking to, as long as your facts are straight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting