Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 06:48 AM
PDD PDD started this thread

8,773 posts, read 18,405,959 times

Advertisements

OK so here is the situation.
We have a 357 magnum for home protection and target shooting. The wife is kind or nervous about a loaded revolver in the house. We have no kids at home so that is not a problem. I tried to explain that an empty gun offers no protection and she is slowly coming around.
Anybody else have to make the argument with their wife? We both go to the range and shoot but she has not taken a CCW and safety course and the only safety training she gets is from me.

BTW We live rural and the chance of a home brake in is low but the gun WILL be loaded I just need to be more convincing with my arguments.

Any tips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 07:10 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,033,456 times
great question. My wife grew up in a family full of hunters and target/trap shooters so guns in her home were the norm (though she didnt shoot). Then she marries me, who only bowhunted so no guns in our house for 25+ years. I then last Dec get handed down her dad's (and likely her grandpa's) old Colt challenger; add to it a new buckmark and suddenly our home has guns lol. As we also dont have any kids living here that's not a concern, but i'll have to admit it's still somewhat of a new comfort level even for me to leave one loaded and not have both packed away all locked up (knowing i have these .22's for target/fun and not for self defense).
I do think about picking up a larger caliber pistol though i may never actually carry it. My wife has grown to accept the guns in our home, and i have taken her to try shooting as well. And while my home is in a spot that (in theory) self defense shouldnt be a concern we all know that can change anytime and anywhere.

So i not only have to keep getting my wife more comfortable with guns around, but i have to work on myself as well. I'm curious for those who like myself are newer to gun ownership, how did all members in their family grow to accept having them around and perhaps located in a spot for self defense.
Maybe it's just continual training and experience with the guns themselves, and taking the CCW course even if one doesnt plan to carry.

OP, does your wife enjoy shooting the .357? Wasnt sure if the pistol itself could be the hurdle, where she maybe needed more self confidence by starting with her own smaller caliber handgun?

Old 11-06-2013, 08:08 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,937,919 times
Guns are treated as loaded to begin ,with there isn't a problem . When that rule is compromised that is where the problem begins.
Safes are made now that have a simple finger slot button combination, and it pops open quietly.
One can permanently mount the box where it is most convenient and access it easily . they run about $100.oo
Some are made to hold one or two guns so they are not very big .
From about the size of a cigar box to the size of a bread box .Various choices of openings.
Ideally his and hers is the best choice and not always the bed room being the best place to have them.
Home invasions don't always happen while every one is in bed. the idea is to catch one off guard.
Never give away or show off these to even your best friend ,time has proven this over and over.
There are sites that show hidden rooms and safe hiding places ,you should check out too.
good luck

Old 11-06-2013, 08:41 AM

7,131 posts, read 11,850,881 times
My primary guns are always loaded - and treated as such.

Do this - put her in the bedroom with 6 EMPTY rounds or snap-cap cartridges - both the gun and the cartridges where she thinks she wants them. At SOME point (when she isn't waiting for it), go to the front door and open it, screaming like a banshee as you run into the room she's in. Was she able to load the gun and have it ready to go BEFORE you got to her?

You THINK it's going to be easy.....takes a LOT longer than you think - and for an even BETTER test, do it in the middle of the night. Just make ABSOLUTELY sure that there are NO live rounds ANYWHERE around when you do this test.

Have a feeling it's gonna be an eye-opener for her.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:42 AM

7,131 posts, read 11,850,881 times
Oh - and sorry, but with no kids in the house, the gun will NOT be locked in a bedside "safe". What you do NOT need is to be fumbling around with opening it - or worse yet, finding out the battery is dead - when seconds count.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:56 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,920,044 times
An unloaded gun is about as valuable as a brick. No kids in the house - keep it loaded.

On that note, when carrying in public - always carry with one in the chamber (for a semi-auto). Same principle.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:32 AM

12,110 posts, read 23,315,548 times
Does she think it is going to go off by itself? Loaded, of course.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:56 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,894,643 times
What's the point of having an unloaded gun in the house? Keep it loaded, it's there for your protection.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:23 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,742,174 times
Mossburg 9shot 590 is always loaded with #4 buck.

Glock 21 is always loaded with 45acp black talon. Yes the stuff from the 1990's.

Can of grizz spray on the hearth. Almost had to use it last year with a pushy solictor. Idiot didn't know what the no solicitation sign meant, literally didn't know

I grew up with guns and ammo in the hall closet not in a safe. Never had an issue

Nowadays when we are not home guns and ammo is in the safe.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:24 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,088,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
An unloaded gun is about as valuable as a brick.
Yeah, but a gun is easier to throw.

Having said that I agree whole heartedly. I can't imagine someone without a whole lot of practice trying to get to a revolver and then having to load it under stress even with a speed loader much less shell by shell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting