Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2024, 10:57 AM

8,048 posts, read 12,761,708 times

Advertisements

If you shoot regularly you might want to stock up on ammo. Why? Of course, inflation plays a role. The secondary reason is the coming shortage of copper. Since governments are pushing EV's on us there are going to be shortages and the corresponding price increases in copper. Since you can't make brass without copper what do you suppose will happen to ammo pricing? Yes you can find Steel case ammo but I wouldn't run it personally. https://www.pewpewtactical.com/brass-vs-steel-ammo/

The ratio of copper to zinc in brass manufacturing for ammunition is around 70-90% copper and 10-30% zinc. Copper shortage? Just google "copper shortage" if in doubt. I listen to a great macro economic podcast and they have had the CEO's of several mining companies on as guests. All of them have stated that there isn't anywhere near the capacity in the world to meet the coming EV demand for copper. (The podcast is "Macrovoices")

Just thought I might bring this up and maybe save you some money in the future. I remember back in the 90's picking up surplus 7.62 x 51 for 160 dollars per thousand. (16 cents a round) Now for commercial bulk purchases, it is around 1 dollar per round. BTW- The surplus rounds are great even today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2024, 02:27 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times
One store where I can sometimes find ammo had 280 Remington today, first I've seen in at least 3 years, $32.98/20 Still, I bought some.
338 win mag there too, but I can't see $90.00 for 20 rounds

I have a flintlock rifle my father gave me 40 years ago, Montana just got a muzzleloader season, if I can find some fff powder, I think I'll start using it again

Old 01-05-2024, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
One store where I can sometimes find ammo had 280 Remington today, first I've seen in at least 3 years, $32.98/20 Still, I bought some.
338 win mag there too, but I can't see $90.00 for 20 rounds

I have a flintlock rifle my father gave me 40 years ago, Montana just got a muzzleloader season, if I can find some fff powder, I think I'll start using it again
No offense intended but this is a good example of why people should consider commonly available calibers. There may be slight advantages to a particular caliber but if there is no ammo available you own a club.

Old 01-05-2024, 05:07 PM

1,063 posts, read 905,556 times
never?
well, maybe in my lifetime anyway.
i do buy ammo sort of like i buy stocks.
you know, dollar-cost averaging in a way.

eventually, i see ammo/guns going "digital"
or at least electronic like cigarettes did.
something "in the 40-watt range" maybe?

Old 01-05-2024, 05:12 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
The law of supply and demand are in an ever changing position like a see-saw.

And there's- Necessity is the mother of invention (or in more relevant parlance- innovation).

Old 01-05-2024, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king john IV View Post
never?

I think our "government" would change the classification of "digital" weapons to an NFA AOW and charge the 200-dollar tax stamp. You could stock up on physical ammo now and transition to digital later.....

Old 01-06-2024, 07:33 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
No offense intended but this is a good example of why people should consider commonly available calibers. There may be slight advantages to a particular caliber but if there is no ammo available you own a club.
When I bought those rifles, they were common calibers. At that time there were no 6.5s or 300 blackouts,
Just like it was a common caliber when my grandfather bought his 25-35 or when my uncle bought his 218 Bee.

In a couple of years the "hot new" calibers will become less common. When I was a kid, everyone had a 30-06 just like now they have a 223 because that's what they shot in the Army.

It doesn't matter what gun you have, when the new latest and greatest comes out. Unless you constantly buy new, or are able to cast lead balls like for my flintlock, even when ammo is easy to find, the older calibers are going to be produced less than the new shiny calibers.

Old 01-06-2024, 08:05 AM

8,923 posts, read 4,632,086 times
To a large degree, I agree with the OP.
But I haven't changed my position, much.

I am still advocating (as I have for many years) that we stock up on the calibers we use.

I have changed my position, somewhat, on other calibers, and now advocate having some of what you think your friends, neighbors and relatives shoot. Might make you a bit more popular, in the next time of shortage.

I have changed my thoughts, but only slightly, on how much to stock up.

Used to advocate keeping in stock, what you plan to shoot, in the next 3 years.

Now I advocate 5 years, but only if you have your other buckets sufficiently filled.

Old 01-06-2024, 08:29 AM

24,471 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by king john IV View Post
never?

You may want to introduce this idea to the government of a specific US state? EA anyone?

Old 01-06-2024, 08:44 AM

10,810 posts, read 4,506,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
and now advocate having some of what you think your friends, neighbors and relatives shoot. Might make you a bit more popular, in the next time of shortage.

or setting one up to be a victim.

In the next 'shtf' event, aside from the event itself, as covid showed us, the second greatest danger will be from those who want to take, and not share. No one, and I mean no one is that good of a shot that they will prevent black bart from taking them down <---shameless christmas story reference.

'popularity' is your LEAST important goal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting