Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 04:20 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,623,623 times

Advertisements

Thanks in advance for anyone who can give me a bit of advise/guidance on this question.

I have hunted all my life, and own and am familiar with most types of shotguns, pistols, and rifles.

The one exception is what some would call "assault rifles". Blunt truth is, I am interested in getting one. And one I have heard a lot about is the Keltech SU-16

Do any of y'all have any first hand knowledge about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 12:07 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,120,251 times
Concerned about a possible Obama President as well as the most liberal Congress in our history?

You should be.

If I were you, I'd only consider 2 weapon systems. The AR15 based rifle, and the AK47 rifle.

Parts will be more plentiful should another Assault Weapons ban should pass for both the AR and AK.

Old 11-02-2008, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
Concerned about a possible Obama President as well as the most liberal Congress in our history?

You should be.

If I were you, I'd only consider 2 weapon systems. The AR15 based rifle, and the AK47 rifle.

Parts will be more plentiful should another Assault Weapons ban should pass for both the AR and AK.
As to your question? To be blunt about it? You better believe I am! LOL

Thanks very much for the advise/suggestion, Motorracer!

Old 11-02-2008, 12:56 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,376,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
As to your question? To be blunt about it? You better believe I am! LOL

Thanks very much for the advise/suggestion, Motorracer!
So am I.

Old 11-02-2008, 01:22 PM

What's your budget TexasReb? Also, what features are you looking for and what do you plan on using the rifle for?

This will help in getting some accurate suggestions.

Motoracer

Old 11-02-2008, 02:16 PM

68 posts, read 265,431 times
You may want to try a search on some of the firearms boards, thehighroad.us, thefiringline etc. I did some research on the Keltec a while back and all in all it got mostly positive reviews, although the built-in bipod was flimsy. As wth cars, trucks , beer and anything else you'll find those that love it and those that hate it. I agree with moterracer that you would be better off with an AR-15 (or AK-47). The AR's are a little pricier than the Keltec. DPMS makes one that retails for ~ $700, and it had more positve reviews than negative.

Good luck with your search and hopefully the Heller decision will slow Obama, Pelosi and Reid down a little. Oh wait, I forgot that Obama believes in the second ammendment, unless you live in a metropolitan area or want a handgun or a rifle or shotgun that holds more than one round or happen to be a private citizen or ......... God help us all.

Old 11-02-2008, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
What's your budget TexasReb? Also, what features are you looking for and what do you plan on using the rifle for?

This will help in getting some accurate suggestions.

Motoracer
Money is not exactly an object, per se. NOT that I can afford to throw it away by any means. Hell, I am a public school teacher, so that ought to tell something about my finances! LOL

But seriously, I am HOPING to find something with the $400 to $800 range. BUT...I would not in the least have a problem going somewhat higher if it meant getting something really worth it. Such what you and Mike mention..

The features? Well, basically, an all around utility rifle which contains all that which can be used for target shooting, plain fun shooting, and just having a nice and well-made weapon of that type for its own sake and law-abiding use; as our Founding Fathers would approve!

Thanks MR!

Last edited by TexasReb; 11-02-2008 at 03:44 PM..

Old 11-02-2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
You may want to try a search on some of the firearms boards, thehighroad.us, thefiringline etc. I did some research on the Keltec a while back and all in all it got mostly positive reviews, although the built-in bipod was flimsy. As wth cars, trucks , beer and anything else you'll find those that love it and those that hate it. I agree with moterracer that you would be better off with an AR-15 (or AK-47). The AR's are a little pricier than the Keltec. DPMS makes one that retails for ~ $700, and it had more positve reviews than negative.

Good luck with your search and hopefully the Heller decision will slow Obama, Pelosi and Reid down a little. Oh wait, I forgot that Obama believes in the second ammendment, unless you live in a metropolitan area or want a handgun or a rifle or shotgun that holds more than one round or happen to be a private citizen or ......... God help us all.
Thanks Mike! And I for sure agree with your second paragraph! God help us all, is right...

Old 11-02-2008, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Money is not exactly an object, per se. NOT that I can afford to throw it away by any means. Hell, I am a public school teacher, so that ought to tell something about my finances! LOL

But seriously, I am HOPING to find something with the $400 to $800 range. BUT...I would not in the least have a problem going somewhat higher if it meant getting something really worth it. Such what you and Mike mention..

The features? Well, basically, an all around utility rifle which contains all that which can be used for target shooting, plain fun shooting, and just having a nice and well-made weapon of that type for its own sake and law-abiding use; as our Founding Fathers would approve!

Thanks MR!
Given your info, I'd recommend the AR15. I own many semi automatics, and the AR15 is my favorite by far.

1. It's battle proven.

2. I like the ballistics of the .223 round better than the 7.62 x 39 of the AK. Also, should you get into competitive/target shooting, there is a wider selection of ammo for it.

3. More aftermarket support for it. You can customize your rifle to your own preferences and comfort.

4. You can change it from a 16" carbine to a 24" varmint rifle by just changing out the upper assemblies.

5. Better platform to mount optics.

These are just a few of the attributes of the AR15 platform. The AK is a great rifle in its own right as well.

Definitely check out the website I recommended.

Good luck and let s know what you end up going with.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:31 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,650,859 times
I've had extensive experience with both the AR and AK series rifles. I'd have to give the edge to the AK. More power. simpler to maintain, and more reliable in tough environments. I don't fancy the .223/5.56 as a battle round, especially in the 55 grain ball. My personal favorite in my rack is my Springfield M1A and if money isn't an object I'd highly recommend it. We also have a DPMS LR .308 which is an AR on steroids if you will, that I've found to be a good performer for a bit less money than An M1A. As to the Keltek, I'd spend my dough on a real AR before going that route if the .223 black rifle is what you want. Bushmaster and DPMS both offer a good rifle for a decent price in that model. I've owned both and couldn't complain much. The Bushmaster would not eat Wolf ammo though while the DPMS would without a hitch. This stuff is steel cased and can be tough on extractors so I don't recommend a steady diet of it unless nothing else is available anyway. And steer clear of the Chinese ammo to. I've been seeing a LOT of that stuff shearing cases just below the neck. I think this stuff is a plot to mess up our rifles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting