Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2008, 08:46 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,632,241 times

Advertisements

I LOVE the shooting sports. I've been competing since I was 12. My Dad started me out on Bullseye matches and I branched out into IPSC, three gun and Steel Challenge. Recently (due to my sons interest we recently have gotten into Service Rifle). I'm trying to get a youth smallbore club started where we live and it seems to be generating a lot of positive response. And it's just a blast ( no pun intended) working with all these eager youngsters. So, any of the other shooting enthusiasts in here doing any competition? Particular games you find more fun than others? Different guns for your different games? Any cool stories or positive experiences helping others get involved in shooting? I know that personally the shooting sports have been a HUGE positive influence on my son and a lot of other younguns' we are working with starting our local club. Do tell.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 09:20 PM
kbg

223 posts, read 346,040 times
Well I'd love to say I was a competing member of SASS or something similar but I was raised on blast'in beer cans and never really got away from those good 'ole boys fun competions, although around here skeet and trap is really getting big in the past few years, especially youth turkey shoots.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:14 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,593,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbg View Post
Well I'd love to say I was a competing member of SASS or something similar...
Me too! I am a SASS member, and have all the proper gear, but I don't compete much, due mostly to a schedule that conflicts with most of the local matches in my area.

I am interested in participating in an upcoming Appleseed shoot. It combines shooting with a lesson in history. To me that seems intriguing, so I would like to check it out. There is a shoot coming up in Los Angeles county this weekend (December 13 & 14) in Piru, a short drive west of Santa Clarita, and east of Ventura. I'm not sure if I'll get to this event, but I would like to. More info can be found on their website: The Appleseed Project

Old 12-11-2008, 06:38 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,869,039 times
I was a competitive shooter, in high-powered rifle silhouette, until the early 1990's. I used a Ruger M77 target rifle in the .280 Remington caliber.

I still shoot silhouttes at a local shooting range here, but as a hobby.. I guess I enjoy hearing that "clunk" sound, and seeing the sheep targets some 500 yards away, get knocked over!

I have more target rifles now besides my .280. I have a Savage 110V in the 25-06 Remington, and a Ruger M77 in the .308 Winchester.

Old 12-12-2008, 07:26 AM

34,234 posts, read 18,584,601 times
I used to shoot Bullseye .22LR. I have a Benelli MP95E match pistol that I don't shoot much anymore due to not competing. Very accurate .22. When I go to the range to casually shoot I take my Ruger MK II's more often in addition to the centerfire stuff.

Old 12-12-2008, 04:58 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,632,241 times
I think that cutting my teeth on bulseye made me a far better shooter when I took up other games. I tuned my personal 1911A1 mainly as a steel pistol and was pleasantly surprised to find that the mods I made also made a superb bullseye pistol. It functions flawlessly ( required for steel shooting) but will still deliver fantastic groups at 25 and 50 yards with it's personal favorite handload of 5.5-5.8 grains of W231 and a 200 grain semi wadcutter. .22 bulseye is a blast ain't it. and cheap to shoot also. I used to have a 1965 vintage High Standard Trophy Citation Military. Same weight and balance as a 1911. Another one that I sold as a STUPID youngster. If only I still had ALL the fine rifles and pistols that I was silly enough to sell. Looking back I could just kick myself!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting