Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2013, 11:55 PM

361 posts, read 725,314 times

Advertisements

This is going to be my first time wearing a wig. I gotta say, I'm still very hesitant to do this because I hate fake hair, but at this point I feel like I need to let my hair grow back. It's been breaking A LOT lately.

I'm looking for the most natural looking wig but ideally, it'll cost less than $100. I know there are some crazy expensive wigs out there, but I don't want to spend a whole lot nor do I want it to look too fake. I'll probably be wearing it until I feel my hair has grown back enough. I guess if I can't find a nice wig under $100 I will consider something more expensive (hopefully not).

So I heard lace wigs are the natural looking ones. Is that true? How should I keep my hair underneath that? I've watched the videos on how to "install" them on youtube and it seemed pretty straightforward. I will probably just do a short wig (up to the neck at the most).

Any advices?? I'm really not sure how to go about choosing the wig
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 11:41 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,861 times
If you can keep a little of your hair out around the front edges, that will help the wig look more natural. I have seen some natural-looking synthetic wigs, usually curly styles. A Youtuber, Pretty Dimples, used some clip on extensions in a recent video. They looked cute. Another good Youtuber who wears wigs is Dezi1016.

Hair under a wig is usually kept under a wig or stocking cap. For African Americans, the hair is most often moisturized, sealed and braided. It can also be in a pinned up ponytail. I would just watch the edges of the wig cap to make sure they are not rubbing out your hair. For non-blacks, I recommend more Youtube research, because I can't offer any advice there.

I would go to a wig shop (or a beauty supply with a really good selection) and try on a few.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:04 PM

361 posts, read 725,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
If you can keep a little of your hair out around the front edges, that will help the wig look more natural. I have seen some natural-looking synthetic wigs, usually curly styles. A Youtuber, Pretty Dimples, used some clip on extensions in a recent video. They looked cute. Another good Youtuber who wears wigs is Dezi1016.

Hair under a wig is usually kept under a wig or stocking cap. For African Americans, the hair is most often moisturized, sealed and braided. It can also be in a pinned up ponytail. I would just watch the edges of the wig cap to make sure they are not rubbing out your hair. For non-blacks, I recommend more Youtube research, because I can't offer any advice there.

I would go to a wig shop (or a beauty supply with a really good selection) and try on a few.
Thanks bowian,

I have black hair so I guess I will braid it. However I'd rather not leave any hair out, like I said, my hair is breaking off a lot. From the videos I saw on YouTube, looks like the path on the wig can be bleached out to blend with your skin tone.
So should I go for the lace wig or is there another option for a natural look?

Old 09-19-2013, 11:16 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamboyante View Post
Thanks bowian,

I have black hair so I guess I will braid it. However I'd rather not leave any hair out, like I said, my hair is breaking off a lot. From the videos I saw on YouTube, looks like the path on the wig can be bleached out to blend with your skin tone.
So should I go for the lace wig or is there another option for a natural look?
I am thinking lacefront with human hair, with a natural-looking hairline. But I don't know about gluing it on, however. I saw a woman who obviously glued her wigs on, and she looked like a doll. And not in a good way.

Another Youtuber who does a great job with natural-looking short wigs is Joanne Gray. She has alopecia, so she wears wigs all the time, although she looks great with a bald head. She and Dezi are good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care