Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2007, 05:25 PM

673 posts, read 2,717,455 times

Advertisements

Has anyone here had any success with home highlighting kits? I tried the Herbal Essence kit which looked simple - just comb onto hair. But the solution was thin and kept running down the comb. Any recommendations appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 09:16 AM

3,401 posts, read 13,373,481 times
The longer you leave it to sit, the thicker it becomes. I always have to leave mine for 5-10 minutes before doing it, otherwise it's all runny and waterey...and forget trying to comb THAT into your hair !!!

Also, it helps (I know the pictures say to comb it onto your hair, but it helps to pic out the strands or chunks you want to do lift them up and comb through or onto them that way, then lay them back down.

My hair is extremely long, so the roots to half way down the head are always highlighted nicely.... but the bottom half doesnt even exist! picking up the strands helps when you need a second application to reach all the hair down to the end of the strands, and makes for a more even coating.

Hope this helps have fun & happy chunking!

Old 12-06-2007, 11:10 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,531,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaauger View Post
Has anyone here had any success with home highlighting kits? I tried the Herbal Essence kit which looked simple - just comb onto hair. But the solution was thin and kept running down the comb. Any recommendations appreciated.
No, I have never had any success in doing it myself. Bad, bad mistake!! So, if I ever want blonde highlights I go to a professional now. I would never do it myself again. Bad mistake!! Go to a pro...

Old 12-12-2007, 12:40 PM

2,349 posts, read 10,657,750 times
I have used it but did not use the comb thing in the box. I use an old toothbrush and it works well. You can really get close to the scalp/roots with it.

I finally went to a salon and the colors were SO rich and the cut SO nice that it was worth the money (around 90-100 bucks). Also, the color did not fade as fast so you might want to treat yourself sometime!

Old 12-14-2007, 08:04 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,217,262 times
The best highlights I have ever had- pro or amatuer- was when my friend came over, we opened a bottle of wine, mixed up two highlight colors and cut up a bunch of tin foil, then she went at it. When I got my hair cut the next week, my stylist remarked about how good it looked.

I have only tried the comb once and wasn't happy with the results. My hair is pretty short, so maybe it works better on hair that is a little longer. I moved away from my friend, will try the toothbrush next time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care