Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 01:30 PM

1,942 posts, read 8,488,979 times

Advertisements

I am a red hed, but I have to dye myself because I have sooooooooooo many whites that I probably have more whites then red!!

I don't want to be a blond.

I was thinking of a change, and dying my hair a brown. Not a mousy brown, but a dark brown...but not dark enough that it would look witchy color and look fake.

My SIL told me that the older you get, your hair should get lighter, not darker.

I am 35.

I also am fair skinned and I was told it would make me look washed out.

Opinions??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 01:43 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
a medium golden brown would work with your skin tones, and what red is left in your hair. I wouldnt go dark brown, you have that fabulous redhead skin, and it would be a bit too much.

Old 01-05-2008, 01:46 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,643,885 times
at age 35 youre probably still safe to go with a dark brown. but yes i have heard that you should go lighter as you get older. 35 is probably not the "older" they are speaking of. i would definitey not recommend that horrible black on anyone over 40 though. we have all seen young women who can get away with it and even look stunning but on a fairskinned older women it looks like a cheap halloween wig.
plus, if you ever want to go lighter after being black haired, you either have to shave your head (think brittany spears) or pay millions of dollars to sit in a salon for millions of hours!

Old 01-05-2008, 02:27 PM

291 posts, read 1,074,994 times
If you watch the makeover shows, the stylists ALWAYS try to convince older women who have been dying their hair blonde for years to go to a deeper, richer color. I think that women have heard exactly what you're saying for years, but in truth, I think it does make women look washed out. I think TOO dark is not good either, but I would stick to as close to your natual shade as possible- people *always* look better that way!

Old 01-05-2008, 06:32 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,643,885 times
just make sure that there is enuf contrast between your skin color and hair color. my mother has the fairest skin youve ever seen and also has platinum blond hair. it doesnt work because i cant tell where her skin stops and her hair starts.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:46 PM

187 posts, read 613,793 times
YOUR 35!!!!! Not 75!!!! To young to worry about the going lighter with age!!

Old 01-05-2008, 06:53 PM

3,567 posts, read 3,734,834 times
What's wrong with the white?

sounds like it would be stunning.

Old 01-06-2008, 03:07 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,198,500 times
If your skin coloring is fair and if you have a red heads complextion than I would stay in the lighter rather than darker tones. The most natural coloring is one with several different hues so the color is not flat and boring. That will make you look older. In answer to your question about should your color go lighter as you get older...my answer would be yes, especially with fair skin..to severe. Redish or auburn hair looks great if you have light eyes..really makes them pop, but be prepared to have to dye your hair much more often if you make it dark as the grey really shows more. I have been many colors but found the upkeep to be easier being blond as the grey blends in much more.

Old 01-06-2008, 04:26 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,335,694 times
I'm a redhead too with a light complexion.
I've heard to go with the eye color. For instance, my eyes are hazel/green so if I wanted to go brown or blonde, I was told to go with golden undertones and not ashy undertones. If your eyes are blue, go for the ashy undertones.
Dark brown or black would look horrible on me. I had a black wig for Halloween one time. Made me look sick.

Old 01-06-2008, 04:30 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,513 posts, read 6,323,285 times
JMO But I think as we get older our skin tone changes but we sill have our basic warm or cool skin tone. So even tho you need to brighten/lighten up, you still need to pick a hair color thats flattering to your skin tone. If it were me Id stay in the warm red family since red heads are tradionally warm skin tone.

I have auburn hair myself. When I was young and stupid and thought I had to look like everybody else I made it blonde , strawberry blonde, darker, you name it. Finally I got old and smart. . This is the color Im supposed to have . It just needs some oomph.

I get it striped/foiled whatever you call it with three shades of auburn/red two or three times a year. Then I use a small amount of auburn Clairol Loving Care 6wk color like a creme rinse every time I shampoo to keep my colors from fading. I get alot of compliments on my hair and its pretty maintenance free.

I cant say this will work for peeps with lots of gray. Im 58 but I dont have much gray. 95 % of what I have is in a small skunk stripe right in the front. So far its been working on my skunk stripe.

Id say that since yours is so white already id stick with something light. You could go all white like Babara Stanwyck. Or how about strawberry blonde. Just dont do old lady pink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care