Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2022, 10:47 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times

Advertisements

Any recs? And is it true that one should shampoo less if you want less oil in your hair?
Any one have suggestions or tips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2022, 06:23 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Any recs? And is it true that one should shampoo less if you want less oil in your hair?
Any one have suggestions or tips?
I started shampooing less about two years ago. IMO, yes it's true. I now wash every three days or so and my hair gets far less oily in between. Fair warning that the first few months of doing it can be difficult as it takes some time for your hair to respond and you'll have a period of heavy oily buildup and itchy scalp and hair.
If that process doesn't interest you try some of the better clarifying shampoos, such as Neutrogena, or my daughter likes an Aveeno clarifying shampoo for her oily hair. Or use a vinegar rinse once or twice a week.

Old 03-15-2022, 05:12 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
Actually, some people's hair likes sulfates. Especially oily hair. With hair it's usually a case of "YMMV" and what works for one person won't work for another. It can be very much trial-and-error sometimes in products, routines, washing frequency, etc.

And no, not everyone finds that washing less often makes their hair less oily/washing more often makes their hair more oily. It's something you can try, but keep in mind that you may get sick of walking around looking greasy in the meantime (or other people may comment on it).

Old 03-15-2022, 08:15 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
Thanks for the recs! Will try some of these.

Also, does brushing your hair help distribute the oil i.e. so it doesn't just gather in your scalp but spreads towards the ends where you hair tends to be dry compared to the rest of the shaft?

Old 03-16-2022, 07:56 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
Some people say yes. Some don't notice a difference. Most people recommend a boar-bristle brush for this, but BBBs are very polarizing-- they're great for some people and others find them awful (for some people they do distribute oil; for some, they just make the scalp area look greasier and the rest of the hair dry and flyaway). Another "YMMV" situation that you'll just have to try out for yourself.

How often do you wash your hair? What shampoo are you currently using?

Old 03-17-2022, 12:42 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
I go between Farmona Black Radish no formaldehyde or parabens and ...as is Avalon Organics Volumizing Rosemary Shampoo and Smith England..which also have no SLS .all great shampoos I use..

Old 03-17-2022, 01:11 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
a clarifying shampoo once a week.
Otherwise most marketed brands that have the ingredients determining NO sulfates does as well in between.

The scalp needs to have the pores cleansed from the oils. It also needs replenished with a conditioner. Otherwise the skin actually dries out and creates crusts.

Learned to not stick with one brand . Seems to work.

Old 03-18-2022, 08:25 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
a clarifying shampoo once a week.
Otherwise most marketed brands that have the ingredients determining NO sulfates does as well in between.

The scalp needs to have the pores cleansed from the oils. It also needs replenished with a conditioner. Otherwise the skin actually dries out and creates crusts.

Learned to not stick with one brand . Seems to work.
Yes, I agree that no sulfates is the way to go. I get breakouts on my scalp particularly near the hairline and using anything with sulfates seems to cause me to break out even more.

I use the clarifying shampoo once weekly as well and then wash every other day with some other sulfate free shampoo. I typically use the scalp massage brush with the clarifying shampoo and at least one other time a week. I may use a dry shampoo on non-wash days as well. Usually the day after I use the clarifying shampoo, I don’t need it, but the other days I may.

Old 03-20-2022, 05:19 PM

4,043 posts, read 3,770,251 times
I love Verb Ghost shampoo and conditioner. I used to have to wash my hair every three days, now I only wash it every 5 days to a week.

I think it also depends on the texture of your hair and if you use product? I have heard that if you wash your hair everyday it can get oily, but if you don't wash it, it gets oily (or so I hear from people who wash their hair everyday).

Old 03-27-2022, 02:29 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Paul Mitchel Tea Tree Shampoo works great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care