Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2022, 05:35 PM

185 posts, read 114,015 times

Advertisements

Not sure if I should be asking this here or the shopping forum so I'll ask here - please move if it's the wrong place.

I was browsing the Sharper Image website for gift suggestions for my mother's birthday and came across a hair straightener brush but all their retail stores have closed and I'd rather not buy it online and then have to ship it back if there's a problem (their shipping costs are ridiculous too). I tried to find it on Amazon and realized that there are several similar products on the market at Target, Ulta, Bed Bath & Beyond, etc.. She already has a flat iron from Ulta and a travel flat iron so maybe I should find another gift idea but I figured this is a more convenient option than a flat iron. The Bed Bath Beyond one is as expensive as the Sharper Image one but we have a store nearby to return if needed. The Target one has no reviews so I'm reluctant to buy it, looks like theirs is a new product. I haven't look at the Ulta one yet. Has anyone ever bought one of these brushes? Which did you buy and how do you like it? We're East Asian so we have thick but not coarse or frizzy hair. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2022, 08:41 AM

727 posts, read 715,039 times
I got mine from Amazon and love it--so much that I bought a spare. If you use Prime there shouldn't be any problem returning it. Mine is a knock off and it works great. My hair is different from yours, though. I always liked getting blowouts at the salon but just couldn't coordinate using 2 tools myself at home. These brushes are easy for me to manipulate with one hand and you don't have to be very precise but still get some body, lift, and no frizz.

Old 07-06-2022, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSJSAS View Post
I got mine from Amazon and love it--so much that I bought a spare. If you use Prime there shouldn't be any problem returning it. Mine is a knock off and it works great. My hair is different from yours, though. I always liked getting blowouts at the salon but just couldn't coordinate using 2 tools myself at home. These brushes are easy for me to manipulate with one hand and you don't have to be very precise but still get some body, lift, and no frizz.

Thanks but you didn't mention which brush you got. Did you buy the Sharper Image one? Another one? I'm the one person on the planet who doesn't have Prime and I just find returning stuff shipped to be a hassle.

Old 07-07-2022, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendaraven View Post
Thanks but you didn't mention which brush you got. Did you buy the Sharper Image one? Another one? I'm the one person on the planet who doesn't have Prime and I just find returning stuff shipped to be a hassle.
I looked back at my order page and the specific ones I have aren't available any longer. No, it wasn't Sharper Image but even more knock off than that would be! Brand name was "KeShi" and this was the description: Hair Dryer Brush, Hot Air Brush, KeShi One Step Hair Dryer & Volumizer 3 in 1 Styling Brush with Negative Ion, Ceramic Blow Dryer Curler and Straightener for All Hair Types

This one looks very similar, but the price has gone up I see: ASIN ‏ : ‎ B099PDTJ1Z

I've noticed a lot of items will be sold under multiple different company names, so it is probably the same brush just a different color.

Old 07-07-2022, 05:16 PM

Okay, thanks again for weighing in. I think I've heard of KeShi, it's one of the brands that makes flat irons too.

Old 07-07-2022, 06:09 PM

6,815 posts, read 11,534,335 times
I have this one from Ulta

https://www.ulta.com/p/one-step-volu...mpprod14811059

Works great, and I am a complete klutz when it comes to my hair.

Old 07-07-2022, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post

That looks a lot like mine, but mine isn't Revlon.

I have frizzy hair but can get nice style and shine that lasts with these brushes. I get all tangled up with a blow dryer and round brush.

The only negative about the blow dry brushes is that they don't have a "cool" button. It took me some practice to get good at rotating the dial while drying. Fortunately, you can take the brush out, change the setting, and resume without losing any ground until you get good at it.

Old 07-08-2022, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post

Much as I appreciate your input, I avoid round brushes like the plague - had a horrific incident years ago where my hair got horribly tangled in one and now I wouldn't touch one with a 10-foot pole. It doesn't help that we have very thick hair. But thank you anyway.

I'm leaning toward this one from Target. https://www.target.com/p/miropure-pr...31#lnk=sametab

Not a known brand but it's got good reviews so far and if there's a problem, I can easily return it to my local store. One thing though I've been wondering about, how do you clean your brushes? Mine always get hair and bit of gross dusty-bunny-type thingees in them over time. You can clean a regular brush with soap and water and a brush-cleaning brush but you can't do that with an electric one.

Old 07-09-2022, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendaraven View Post
Much as I appreciate your input, I avoid round brushes like the plague - had a horrific incident years ago where my hair got horribly tangled in one and now I wouldn't touch one with a 10-foot pole. It doesn't help that we have very thick hair. But thank you anyway.

I'm leaning toward this one from Target. https://www.target.com/p/miropure-pr...31#lnk=sametab

Not a known brand but it's got good reviews so far and if there's a problem, I can easily return it to my local store. One thing though I've been wondering about, how do you clean your brushes? Mine always get hair and bit of gross dusty-bunny-type thingees in them over time. You can clean a regular brush with soap and water and a brush-cleaning brush but you can't do that with an electric one.
That one from Target doesn't say anything about drying hair. They call it a straightener brush. IMO not much different than using a flat iron.

I haven't had any problem with the large oval shaped drying brush. Hair doesn't get tangled at all, it just slides through. I section my hair and still overload the brush but no tangling. As for cleaning, I pull out the hair from between the bristles with my hand or use a wide tooth comb to get it out, but it doesn't really get grungy.

Old 07-09-2022, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSJSAS View Post
That one from Target doesn't say anything about drying hair. They call it a straightener brush. IMO not much different than using a flat iron.

Shows you how much I know about this sort of thing because I didn't even think about the drying part. I don't even own a flat iron or styling products, just a travel blow dryer that I only use when it's so cold I can't go outside with wet hair.

I think I'll have to do a little more reading first on how these things work and what to look for. I would buy the Sharper Image one which got really good reviews but aside from being overpriced, they only sell them online now (the retail stores all closed including the one at my local mall) and the shipping costs are ridiculous, start at $11. Maybe consider the Ulta option someone else here mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care