Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2022, 01:47 PM

5,668 posts, read 3,176,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
I’m nearly 68 years old, and the only time I pay for a blow dry/style is if I’m going to an event (like a wedding, Christmas party, etc.) later that day. Otherwise, I just go home and do it myself. Let your kids learn how to style their own hair.

If you are not happy with the haircuts you’re getting at your current salon, switch salons.
Her kids were also getting haircuts. Usually, a blow out and styling is part of the package, when you get a haircut.

Some of us aren't very good at cutting our own hair, so we pay for one, when we want a haircut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2022, 02:38 PM

183 posts, read 122,666 times
I got frustrated enough to go to a chain salon for awhile... OP, if you can find a chain salon, you might find that it's more impersonal but they do a quick, decent enough job, no fuss no muss, and a lot less of the hollering, giggling, careless atmosphere.

It took awhile for me to find a hairdresser that does work that I like, and now she's moving salons. Hoping I can track her down. The high turnover at many salons doesn't help.

Old 09-09-2022, 04:31 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,835,621 times
I always went to the salon as a kid and even at their age was specific on what I wanted done.
You should speak up if you want their hair straight then it should be done that way. If they are unable or don’t want to switch salons. You should also be notified of a different hairdresser prior to arriving.
Have you researched Yelp or google reviews for salons nearby? Maybe ask a friend
Based on what you’re stating I would not return to this place.

Old 09-09-2022, 04:42 PM

573 posts, read 261,114 times
Jaysus.... can you imagine the patience it must take to cut and style a kids hair ???
I think i'd rather be a Truck Driver than have that job~

just sayin...you're lucky anyone is willing to do their Mops~

Old 09-09-2022, 06:43 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,411,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Paying for hair cuts for a 9 and 11 year old seems kind of wasteful to me, but maybe that's just my yankee frugality talking.
Lol, my mom cut my hair at that age. I didn't get my first haircut at a salon until I was 12.

Old 09-10-2022, 10:47 AM

11,085 posts, read 6,933,936 times
I would have left that salon ages ago. What's the benefit? Cost?

Nah. That kind of atmosphere is chaotic and toxic, and clearly they don't know how to take direction. And they funnel you to someone else who is new or not as busy. Nah again.

I found an excellent mani/pedi guy in north Phoenix years ago. He was absolutely fantastic. I was only able to get with him one more time, because they wouldn't give me an appointment with him after that. Then I saw he was gone altogether. Clearly, he was forced out. Nobody would tell me where he went either, not that they knew.

Old 09-10-2022, 04:35 PM

9,484 posts, read 5,262,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyYa80s View Post
I have been going to the same salon for the past 5 years. It's close to home and the prices are reasonable, but the atmosphere is not professional, stylists continually gossip to each other, laugh and yell while doing your hair, and every young, good stylist I've been to has left so I'm onto my 3rd stylist. There are 2 old women there who are horrid. One can't even complete a blow out good and numerous clients have come back to complain about their hair while I have been there. Anyway, I've noticed whenever I try to schedule my kids, they try to throw them with whoever even when I request they see my stylist who has cut and blown out their hair good. They are 9 and 11 and have very long thick hair. The past 2 times, one of them got the horrid older lady. My 9 year old noticed before me, that she left the whole underlayer of her hair still wet AFTER she blew dried it. My oldest, we requested layers, and she walked out with ones you couldn't see. This time I called and specifically asked for my stylist. We get there, they ask who the appt is with, I say her name and she chimes in saying "Oh, no I think "receptionist" made a mistake I have someone else at that time, but so and so can take her." I think it was done on purpose. While the lady cut my kids hair ok, she kept saying oh you have such nice curl, why don't we leave it curly, we always straighten it, I think bc she is just lazy and didn't feel like blowing it out. My dd said no and she half hearted blew it out, used the flat iron for most of it, and then schallaked (sp) it down with a ton of product, I mean she's 9, without asking me. Her hair was completely greasy. My other DD has an appt coming up and I am close to cancelling. Also, I am asking before the appt who it is with, and if it's not my stylist like I asked, I'm cancelling.

Also wanted to add, last time I got my hair cut, my stylist forgot to wash the entire underside of my hair which I realized when she was blow drying it. I mean maybe she had an off day but damn. Would you just leave this place completely.? Stay?
I'd be outta there in a hot minute.

Old 09-10-2022, 04:37 PM

9,484 posts, read 5,262,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
Lol, my mom cut my hair at that age. I didn't get my first haircut at a salon until I was 12.
I hate to admit this, but growing up in NY, all us girls got our pixies at the barber shop. I'm not sure why.

Old 09-11-2022, 07:43 AM

11,085 posts, read 6,933,936 times
I've been wracking my brain to try and remember where my mother used to get my pixie cut done every summer when school let out. It was probably either at the barbershop or the beauty school. There was also a salon a couple miles away where a lot of people went for their haircuts. Amazing that I can't remember.

Can't even imagine the kids today getting a pixie cut every June except maybe a few. Back then it was a quite common practice. Late 50's/early 60's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care