Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2024, 04:47 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times

Advertisements

I did when I was much younger and couldn't afford to go to the salon. When I would go in to get a once or twice a year professional cut to try to even out my ends the hairdressers would always say "Have you been cutting your own hair? You've got to stop that!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2024, 06:08 AM

6,968 posts, read 4,809,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
This looks like a foolproof haircut for those of you with good eyesight, several mirrors and sharp scissors. I could never do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nkgao0u95KM
That might be foolproof, but it doesn’t look like it could be done on your own head very easily.

I cut my own for a while when I was wearing it very short. I would ponytail it into tiny sections with my head as upside down as I could get it, then snip the sections off. Didn’t look great but didn’t look terrible either.

Old 03-19-2024, 06:08 AM

314 posts, read 222,285 times
I cut my own hair for the first time a week ago and I'm surprised how well it turned out! I have long hair and wanted a wolf cut. My stylist wanted to charge me $80 so I watched some youtube videos, bought a pair of sheers and did it myself. Short hair might be more of a challenge though and you might want to ask a friend to help.

Old 03-19-2024, 02:40 PM

20,758 posts, read 8,562,401 times
When I was a teen and had hair to my waist I had my little brother give me a trim every two months. He was great!

Old 03-22-2024, 10:49 AM

Here's a butterfly cut using only two ponytails.
This is a good channel if you have thin, fine hair. That is Summer's hair so she has real world great suggestions and tips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbzBcBzVBpA

Old 03-23-2024, 12:28 PM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Cutting my own hair since 1999, after getting a really bad flu from the stylist, and my husband was there at the same time and got it too, plus no one ever wanted to cut it the way I wanted!

Decide what you want and search on YouTube for tutorials. I also suggest Japanese steel for clipper blades and scissors, as I have found them to be the best. You don't have to pay a lot either at Amazon. I have a Remington clipper that cost probably $140, and it is the best I have ever had, and well worth the money as it cuts "clean", not ragged. I have various scissors, nothing over $30, and it is well worth learning to use thinning scissors with a light hand, as they can hide mistakes with a little practice.

I got really tired of: "if I cut it that short your husband would kill me", telling them I was growing out my bangs and they are quick and forget, their cutting into the middle of a wave creating a turkey tail................

Old 03-23-2024, 01:23 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
I've been cutting my hair for decades...When I was in High School I had accrued enough credits to graduate so I only had to go to school for half the day as long as I was using the rest of the day for college or some trade school so I went to cosmetology school(it was that or a class in office skills, i.e. typing (ugh). I hated it from the first day and knew I would never get a job doing hair, but I learned how to cut hair really well and I've been cutting my own ever since. As Anywhere Else said, good scissors are the key. I can cut my hair using the bathroom mirror and another mirror hanging from the bathroom door but if you find that too difficult, you might want to invest in one of these mirrors: That one is from Temu and is $16, Amazon and a bunch of other sites have similar mirrors.

Old 03-26-2024, 11:09 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
Thank you for all the encouragement and tips and especially that mirror, which could be what I need most. I've watched no end of YouTube videos and can't believe the way I see women hacking at their hair with odd things - one of them used what looked like a manicure scissors! - and they end up presentable. My first try was presentable, next I'm going to work on layers.

Old 03-27-2024, 12:44 AM

I've always cut my own bangs even though my hairdresser would do them for free. I don't want to make a special trip just for that.

Old 03-29-2024, 08:17 PM

Here is another woman who cuts her own hair. She is going shorter now but has other videos of her cutting longer styles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rhEwHQ3EIs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care