Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 10:52 AM

270 posts, read 504,956 times

Advertisements

Hi,

my hair usually looks very frizzy. I guess maybe its because I do have a lot of dead ends and haven't had a trim in a while. It kind of annoys me, though, and unless I really work with my hair, it looks like I don't do anything with it. It may just be the type of hair I have, but I don't think long, dark, silky hair would look bad on me if I could get it that way. My hair is very fine and curly, but it looks coarse and bushy. My hair is also sensitive to chemical products, like relaxers and straighteners, and I don't like to use them. I wish someone could tell me how to manage my hair so that I could just step out of the shower, blow dry it, put it up, and have long, silky, manageable hair all day, so that I won't look like I don't care about it.

Also, I would really probably be more into trying an organic solution that wouldn't destroy my hair if I didn't rinse it out well enough or something. I usually care for my hair myself, and I don't always have a lot of time to wait on something to work properly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 02:29 PM

1,422 posts, read 3,443,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegestudentfromalabama View Post
Hi,

my hair usually looks very frizzy. I guess maybe its because I do have a lot of dead ends and haven't had a trim in a while. It kind of annoys me, though, and unless I really work with my hair, it looks like I don't do anything with it. It may just be the type of hair I have, but I don't think long, dark, silky hair would look bad on me if I could get it that way. My hair is very fine and curly, but it looks coarse and bushy. My hair is also sensitive to chemical products, like relaxers and straighteners, and I don't like to use them. I wish someone could tell me how to manage my hair so that I could just step out of the shower, blow dry it, put it up, and have long, silky, manageable hair all day, so that I won't look like I don't care about it.

Also, I would really probably be more into trying an organic solution that wouldn't destroy my hair if I didn't rinse it out well enough or something. I usually care for my hair myself, and I don't always have a lot of time to wait on something to work properly.
I have very kinky curly hair that never ever grows down only out and if i go a day with out a shower i look like sideshow bob(clown)im a white female, so my girlfriend who is hair dresser did the GLOBAL KEROTIN treatment. she did it back in JULY it is now february and its just started to come out. she is redoing it saturday. its very easy on the hair. its a coating that is flat ironed on. she used the one that has formaldahyde in it. they do have one without. let me tell you the results were amazing. i have been dreaming of long silky hair since i was a kid,my hair took about 5 hours to do,but my hair is so thick.the 2nd time it should be half that since my hair is already straight. i would say look into that. there are other relaxers out there but from what i hear global is the best. good luck and go for it.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:47 PM

202 posts, read 484,850 times
Quote:
Hi,

Are you white..or black? If you are black i have some real good sites on taking care of your hair and growing it out and keeping it healthy.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:28 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,274,253 times
Its best to work with what youve been blessed with. Dont fight it! Why is it we always seem to want what we dont have?

Old 02-20-2010, 01:44 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,277,733 times
I would start with finding a stylist that has experience cutting that kinda hair. I know there is a salon here in my city that is geared towards more natural and soft styling of kinky hair and they do awesome shaping on flowing styles. I started to recognize people by the cut! (yes I am the weirdo that asks random strangers who did the hair)

I would not let a young stylist with naturally strait/silky/wavy hair touch it though. In my experience they seem to lack the know how to predict the hair shape changes that come with trimming.

Do you do any regular deep conditioning?
Have you checked out Carol's Daughter products? (natural and geared towards your hair type)
http://www.carolsdaughter.com/category/haircare.do

I like the black vanilla spray in. It was good enough to make me intested in other products that I have not given a go due to being on a cheapskate stint.

Have you ever tried strait coconut oil in it as a night treatment? If oils won't help that could mean your hair shaft is too damaged to hold moisture. Then its time for a big cut or some filler treatments as already mentioned.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:01 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,855,964 times
Two suggestions for you - first, as you are growing out your hair be sure to trim the ends about once every 4 - 6 weeks. It seems very counter-intuitive to cut if you want to grow but if you just let it go for a long time with no trims, the split ends will get longer and longer and then when you finally do go for a trim, it will require cutting several inches off the ends to get rid of all the split ends whereas if you trim regularly, you only have to take off the new splits which are likely only 1/8 to 1/4 inch long (or even less). So regular tiny trims results in longer hair than no trims and letting it grow. The second thing for your hair to make silky and shiny is using a ceramic flat iron and regular deep conditioning. The iron smooths and seals the cuticle of the hair and seals in moisture. Ragged hair cuticle is what makes it look frizzy. Just be sure that your hair is totally dry first and keep the iron moving, don't stop in the middle of smoothing it as the iron is very hot and can damage the hair if left in one place too long. But the combination of the mini-trims and the iron should eventually produce long, shiny and healthy looking hair.

Old 03-20-2010, 03:31 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,355,639 times
Quote:
Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenchili View Post
Its best to work with what youve been blessed with. Dont fight it! Why is it we always seem to want what we dont have?
exactly my point. My first question to the OP would be "Why?". I can understand wanting healthy, more manageable hair, but in the end, it's always best to stick w/ what you have. not everyone can have Megan Fox hair, at least, not w/o incurring a bit of damage. your reasoning seems a bit vague. "so I won't like I don't care about it"? there are people w/ bone straight, silky hair whose hair may be more damaged than someone w/ naturally curly hair who cares for it

if you have naturally curly hair, there's NOTHING you can go to make it straight that doesn't involve chemicals or heat, both of which can and will damage hair. sure there are people who will say they relax/flat iron their hair all the time w/o damage, but these people re either in the minority or don't really see the damage they're causing. frizz is usually the result of dry hair, so keep your hair moisturized. if you want a straighter look, pull your hair up in a pony tail or braid(s) while it's wet. this will stretch it out and loosen up the curls a bit (though won't give you bone straight hair)

Old 03-21-2010, 12:07 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,632,426 times
Quote:
Hi,

First off, how often do you wash it, if it's daily STOP; you are washing away essential oils that your hair needs!

My hair is stick straight and down to my butt crack, and I only wash 2x weekly at the most, usually once a week.

I also use an organic kitchen hair mask once a month made of raw honey, eggs, coconut oil, and avocado (peeled and pitted) in the magic bullet and leave it on under damp heat for 30 mins or so. Then wash out with a good shampoo and conditioner.

DO NOT use a hair dryer, not only is the heat bad for the hair, it also blows it around and causes the frizzies to show up more.

At night before bed, I do 2 loose braids, and use a tiny dab of coconut oil to the tips and just above (about 12" for me, or half the hair shaft), to help with the shineyness and frizzies and healthiness of the hair.

When you have long hair, putting it up in creative easy ways are your best friends. I usually do braids, buns, or tails.

Get a good cut as well, and have them cut off the split ends and gross stuff, it will make a WORLD of difference off the bat.

Good luck!

Old 04-01-2010, 07:29 PM

5,404 posts, read 16,005,856 times
First, get a trim! Get rid of the crispy ends and splits! Then, realize that you have CURLY hair...nothing is going to make it "silky smooth"...it's CURLY! Work with it! It doesn't mean it can't be shiny and healthy! But, unless you put major product and time into your hair, it's not going to be straight and "care-free"...that's just the way it is!

Old 04-02-2010, 01:56 PM

1,999 posts, read 10,572,618 times
I've tried a few things to take the frizz out of my hair:

I have thick, wavy silver gray hair that is currently mid-back. Since I am old and it's gray, it tends to get very dry; however, I bought Moroccan Oil on Amazon.com on the suggestion of a hairdresser for something like $34. A tiny bit the size of a dime does my whole head! So worth the money as it really makes my hair combable, soft and the waves really come out (course, if you hair is bone straight it would just come out straight).
Tried rosemary hair oil by Weleda that I read about on makeupalley.com and iherb.com, but it can't hold a candle to Moroccan Oil to me.

Also bought Moroccan Oil's intensive care conditioner that you leave on for 3-5 minutes I think it is. That also works, but would work better if I did it at home with a saran wrap over my head and leave it on for 30-60 minutes; however, I use it when I shave my legs and so...well, it stays on maybe 5 minutes. However, it is also very good and, again, a little goes a long way with this product. Made in Israel and a good product IMHO.

Coconut Oil: I bought some on the suggestion of a lady on this board from TropicalTraditions.com. I put some aside to grease up my hair before I swim, put it in a bun and then wash it out later. Makes my hair really soft. Good idea. The effect lasts for quite awhile like maybe 6 washes or so amazingly.
You can also use the rest of the coconut oil for cooking. I am so sold on frying steaks or chicken or fish in coconut oil over butter (and I hate vegetable oil). Good product you will use no matter what you do with it.

Since I'm a swimmer and go 3X a week, a quick conditioner that is better than average I think is Aussie's 3 minute Miracle. Does a good job for me. Then once a week I use the Moroccan Oil Conditioner and occasionally I use coconut oil as described above. Lots of work to keep gray hair soft, girls...and THIS is what you have to look forward to in old age..ha! Now I know what they mean by saying: Old age isn't for sissies!

Last edited by TootsieWootsie; 04-02-2010 at 02:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care