Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2012, 08:39 AM

1 posts, read 5,585 times

Advertisements

My family (husband, two daughters, 2 and 4) and I are planning to relocate from Baltimore to Hampton Roads for my husband's job. We are looking for a safe, walkable community and have been coming up short.

Admittedly, coming from Baltimore, our attitude toward crime may be a bit skewed. We lived downtown for six years, loved it, and never had any crime problems. We knew the areas to avoid and were street smart. And fortunate, I guess. For the last year, though, we've lived in a historically lovely but unwalkable, rougher section on the outskirts of town and have been victims of crimes and seen a major wave in our neighborhood. My husband travels about 50% of the time, so our safety and peace of mind are paramount. Still, we do not prefer sprawling suburbs.

We are hoping to find a historical community with a playground, library, independent shops and restaurants that is walkable. So far in our search, we have found safety or walkability-- not both. Any suggestions? We have visited Ghent (in Norfolk) and loved it but are concerned about the crime. Any thoughts on that?

The town is not terribly important as my husband will cover a territory extending from Richmond to Virginia Beach and just needs to live somewhere in between. Proximity to an airport would be nice but is not a necessity. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 12:37 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,977,520 times
Ghent is nice. For something newer you might try the New Town area in Williamsburg/ James City County. Sort of a brand new version of Ghent with shops, restaurants, movie theater, grocery stores, small parks, and more. Its smack dab in the middle between Richmond and VA Beach. You can rent an apartment or buy a townhome or detached home. Prices start in the lower $200's for townhomes, Apartments start around $1000 a month.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:36 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
Safety and walkability sounds like Williamsburg to me. Live in New Town or near William & Mary for the most walkable area.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:34 AM

4 posts, read 11,329 times
Do you know what city your husband will be working out of? I've lived in Hampton, Williamsburg and now Virginia Beach over the past 18 years. As far as Williamsburg (which is absolutely beautiful) anywheres from Wmbg-Toano (more country) is nice, but I personally would steer clear of James City County (closer to the Newport News side) that is still part of Williamsburg. We looked at a home there that was beautiful went back at night and was afraid to get out of the car. Surprisingly, it was a total different crowd from day to night . I currently live in Virginia Beach and the Red Mill/Ocean Lakes area near Oceana base is really nice. Depending on how much your looking at paying for buying/renting. Also Va Beach Kempsville is nice near Kempsville Middle school which is located behind the police dept and library. Personally I'd also steer clear of Hampton, Newport News areas, years ago I lived in Hampton and saw a car jacking and had my vehicle broken into and that area has gotten worse. I also own rental property there and can't wait to SELL it! Although this can happen anywhere, but this is my personally experience and my opinion. Best bet is to drive by places during the day then again at night of places you'd like to live. And I'd imagine you'd like to be relatively close to hubbys new job. Good luck to you and hope you find a great home (p.s. I'm SUPER picky about where I live and where my kids go to school)

Last edited by LisaHall75; 05-05-2012 at 08:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area