Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2014, 02:46 PM

403 posts, read 772,319 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Can anyone tell me if any of these or nearby areas are good for families? The time is getting closer when my daughter will graduate, and my husband will be looking to transfer to a new federal job. I see there are jobs in the Portsmouth and Norfolk areas. However, I have heard that certain areas in VA have unfortunately gone downhill as far as crime goes. Are these areas part of that? Safe area, job opportunites for me (either med office, pharmacy tech, or ophthalmic tech), preferably within an hour or two of a good college, near a bay or ocean would be ideal. I realize we would not be able to afford right on the water, but walking distance would be my dream! I absolutely love the feel of the quaint New England towns of Ogonquit, ME, Portsmouth NH, Mystic CT, Newport RI, Stone Harbor Nj, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 09:37 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,464,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renrenbri View Post
Hello,

Can anyone tell me if any of these or nearby areas are good for families? The time is getting closer when my daughter will graduate, and my husband will be looking to transfer to a new federal job. I see there are jobs in the Portsmouth and Norfolk areas. However, I have heard that certain areas in VA have unfortunately gone downhill as far as crime goes. Are these areas part of that? Safe area, job opportunites for me (either med office, pharmacy tech, or ophthalmic tech), preferably within an hour or two of a good college, near a bay or ocean would be ideal. I realize we would not be able to afford right on the water, but walking distance would be my dream! I absolutely love the feel of the quaint New England towns of Ogonquit, ME, Portsmouth NH, Mystic CT, Newport RI, Stone Harbor Nj, etc...
Chesapeake is the safest bet. Norfolk and Portsmouth are okay if you have the money to afford a nicer area.

There are sketchy areas in Chesapeake, such as South Norfolk. These are very large cities, with a lot of neighborhoods to consider. I highly recommend living in the same city in which you work, unless you like an hour commute during rush hour.

If you really have to be on the water (or near it) and are considering one of these cities OceanView still has cheaper, relatively affordable properties. As far as those neighborhoods being safe, results will be mixed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area