Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2008, 08:59 PM

21 posts, read 69,530 times

Advertisements

please tell me that a speeding ticket isn't $3500???!!! how did VA get away with passing that law if its true...and I also heard that only VA residents have to pay that not out of staters,,,,I cannot believe that this is true or even constitutional... Believe me I am not an abuser of speeding but noone goes the speed limit and this is really an outrageous amount if true....whats the scoop here??
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 09:33 AM

5 posts, read 36,474 times
Whoever told you that was misinformed. Here's the scoop.

VA passed a law in the middle of last year stating that the most dangerous drivers will be charged a "fee" if caught and convicted of what they are charged with. These are fees that are in addition to any fines that the court can/will impose. The fees are payable to DMV for 3 consecutive years. Failure to pay the fees will result in your license being suspended. A simple "speeding" charge won't result in any fees unless the officer that stops you writes for reckless driving (more than 80mph regardless of speed limit or 20+ over the limit).

Just FYI, these fees are being challenged all over the state. I know of several counties that overturned the law because it targets VA drivers only, and not all drivers. I know where I am located (VA Beach) the courts have upheld the law, but it hasn't been appealed as of yet.

The following is taken from the DMV site:

Unsafe Driving Fees (Abusive Driver Fees)

Unsafe driving fees (Abusive Driver Fees) are one component of the comprehensive transportation and land use legislative compromise enacted earlier this year. Abusive driver fees have been under consideration by the General Assembly for three years.
Convictions-Related Fees

Drivers convicted of serious traffic offenses will be charged conviction-related abusive driver fees. These fees do not apply to the typical traffic violation such as failure to yield, or parking too near a fire hydrant, for example. Abusive driver fees will only apply when the person is convicted of reckless driving, driving on a suspended or revoked license, driving under the influence, or other serious traffic offenses that occur after July 1, 2007. The fees are based on the following schedule:
  • Driving on a suspended or revoked license - $250 each year for three years;
  • Reckless or aggressive driving - $350 each year for three years;
  • Driving while intoxicated - $750 each year for three years;
  • Other misdemeanor convictions for driving and/or motor vehicle-related offense -$300 each year for three years;
  • Any felony conviction for driving or motor vehicle-related offense - $1000 each year for three years.
Demerit Point Fees

Drivers who accumulate 8 or more demerit points will be charged demerit-point-related fees. These fees can not be imposed for demerit points related to offenses committed prior to July 1, 2007. No single traffic violation results in 8 demerits points and a person has the option of attending a driver improvement clinic to reduce the points on their record. Demerit points will not be assigned to convictions for violations that occurred out of state or convictions by a U. S. District Court. Drivers whose records show a point balance of 8 or more demerits on July 15th of each year will be charged $100 and will be charged an additional $75 for each demerit point over eight up to a maximum of $700. Unsafe Driving Fees will not be assessed for demerit points associated with convictions received from another state or from U.S. District Courts.

Commonwealth of Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles

Last edited by Puddle Pirate; 01-09-2008 at 09:34 AM.. Reason: Added DMV Link
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area