Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 06:07 PM

18 posts, read 44,361 times

Advertisements

We're from UPSTATE NY, more specifically, Ilion, NY (not a big city area, farms, nearest city is Utica. We are looking for climate change, friendly folks, decent paying jobs and good schools. Posts from other relocated upstaters would be helpful. NOT looking for 5 bedroom/ 4 bath homes with no yard, that are beyond the means of most working people. (no offense, we tend to lean towards functional and practical.) 4 pillar brick edifices are beautiful, but way out of our budget range...Oh, no ridiculously priced "fixer-uppers" either.
We live in a decent home with its own woodwork, french doors, hardwood floors...under $70,000. Would such a place be located where we could plant flowers, grow roses, have lilacs? We're just regular working people. We go to church, like to go camping, cook, bake, raise our family.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 07:59 PM

132 posts, read 660,905 times
I'm not sure what you are asking. If your price range for a home is around 75,000, that MAY find you a house that is falling apart in the worst nieghborhoods of HR.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:35 PM

469 posts, read 1,870,041 times
Maybe I'm reading your post wrong, but are you referring to your upgrades as being just $70,000 or are you looking for a house that is $70,000? If you are looking for a house in that range, then this area is not for you. I can't even began to describe what you will encounter with a $70,000 house! (It won't be pretty!)

Old 03-21-2008, 09:22 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,056,542 times
$70,000 in Williamsburg will buy you a week at a time share! That is about the only thing you will find that will not need any fixing right away!

Good Luck!

Old 03-22-2008, 09:58 AM

239 posts, read 633,054 times
Just my land itself (not the building) is appraised at $85K and I live in a townhouse. I have like 5 feet in front and 5 feet in the back. In this area for $70K you can buy a plot a little smaller and throw up a tent. I would stay where you are where house prices are not redonkulous and where the quality of life is much better or look for cheaper areas in the south if you are looking for better weather.

Old 03-22-2008, 06:20 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
i doubt that $75k will buy you much on the east coast. The midwest may be calling your name.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:33 PM

18 posts, read 44,361 times
Smile thanks for your replies

Thank you all for your honest replies, we are still researching the area, how does one pay for the homes down there? Is the cost of living, ie:, job wages make it possible for you folks to afford such places? In our travels there we had seen the cost of homes, and some were quite expensive but in all honesty did not think that it is the standard across the board. Or is the reality that you have people working multiple jobs to maintain their current housing? ( Our house is appraised at 70,000 and its a decent place. ) With ourselves, we're looking for a change, warmer climate, a safe place to raise our children, and decent paying jobs in our fields. (I'm Cardiac Tech. and my Wife is a case worker and is currently in a non-for -profit agency. Thanks again everyone, please keep us informed we appreciate it.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:17 PM

132 posts, read 660,905 times
10 years ago you could find a "decent" home for around 80k. Then,in the late 90's to early 00's, just about any decent area's home values doubled and /or tripled,and have held since.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:22 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,331,039 times
Well, I realize that you have a less expensive home. My question is this - is 70K the current appraisal? I just cannot imagine any home worth that little near any decent sized city!! If your are both working, have low to moderate debt and relocated to a bigger city you should be able to make more $$ and afford more of a house.

I would say a smaller, older, brick type ranch with a decent yard would run $225 or so. Something that is more of a fixer upper, forclosure etc would probably be less. I just cannot imagine a 70K house ANYWHERE in the US near any sort of metro area. Maybe in a very small rural town in the midwest, but that is an unknown to me.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:52 AM

469 posts, read 1,870,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In Ilion, NY View Post
Thank you all for your honest replies, we are still researching the area, how does one pay for the homes down there? Is the cost of living, ie:, job wages make it possible for you folks to afford such places? In our travels there we had seen the cost of homes, and some were quite expensive but in all honesty did not think that it is the standard across the board. Or is the reality that you have people working multiple jobs to maintain their current housing? ( Our house is appraised at 70,000 and its a decent place. ) With ourselves, we're looking for a change, warmer climate, a safe place to raise our children, and decent paying jobs in our fields. (I'm Cardiac Tech. and my Wife is a case worker and is currently in a non-for -profit agency. Thanks again everyone, please keep us informed we appreciate it.
Generally in this area, the job wages do not match up with the cost of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area