Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 10:11 AM

6 posts, read 7,857 times

Advertisements

I moved away from Norfolk, VA 15 years ago and the housing prices have tripled since I left and the builders are so busy trying to make money that they are building apartments and condos on top of each other Stop trying to make Norfolk look like New York and let it remain the nice quiet family environment that it was

Last edited by Becky500; 02-25-2018 at 10:12 AM.. Reason: appearnace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 01:55 AM

998 posts, read 1,249,178 times
If you moved away why are you complaining. IMO Norfolk has improved vastly in the 11 years we've lived in the area. "building apartments and condos on top of each other" is a wee bit of an exaggeration...

Old 02-26-2018, 07:20 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,734,733 times
I also think that Norfolk has improved.

Old 02-27-2018, 09:11 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times
I can assure you from my visit home last year Norfolk looks nothing like New York. Now if Norfolk were Manhattan, Hampton and Newport News would be the love child of Staten Island and the Bronx.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:43 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,450,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky500 View Post
I moved away from Norfolk, VA 15 years ago and the housing prices have tripled since I left and the builders are so busy trying to make money that they are building apartments and condos on top of each other Stop trying to make Norfolk look like New York and let it remain the nice quiet family environment that it was
That isn't going to happen I've been here 10 years and prices continue to rise and Norfolk is just going vertical. Same with the other cities, just at a slower pace.
New York, no. Maybe Atlanta but definitely not New York. Not enough money to make that happen around here.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:28 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,431,120 times
I also moved away almost 20 years ago, grew up living in Va. Beach, traveling to Norfolk, and Chesapeake at times. Norfolk looks much nicer and cleaner when I return. I agree with all of ya'll that it is nicer in Norfolk now than it used to be.

Old 05-06-2018, 09:21 AM

5 posts, read 9,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poquoson7 View Post
If you moved away why are you complaining. IMO Norfolk has improved vastly in the 11 years we've lived in the area. "building apartments and condos on top of each other" is a wee bit of an exaggeration...
Exactly!

Old 05-06-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poquoson7 View Post
IKR. Norfolk has seen growth, but then so has the rest of Hampton Roads.

Old 05-06-2018, 10:38 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,333,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
IKR. Norfolk has seen growth, but then so has the rest of Hampton Roads.
Based on Census data, the largest growth has been in Chesapeake and Suffolk.

Old 05-06-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Based on Census data, the largest growth has been in Chesapeake and Suffolk.
Sounds about right because Virginia Beach is about tapped out for the Northern end and the City of Chesapeake is pushing for development in Southern Chesapeake even though the residents don't want it. And Suffolk, quite honestly, should have more people than the other six cities put together but that is a topic for another thread.

Norfolk can only grow vertically. Future growth in Virginia Beach will continue to be propelled by Town Center and Chesapeake is going to continue to develop Greenbrier as well as their South side. Unless Virginia Beach pursues annexation or eminent domain there is plenty of room for Town Center expansion, and maybe some here and there for vertical growth at the Oceanfront. I can easily see Town Center turning out like Reston Town Center has, or maybe Tysons, depending on how Virginia Beach goes about developing it. What I am unsure of is how Virginia Beach is going to pursue mass transit and how they connect Town Center to the rest of the region, if at all. If this area does not find a way to settle the cities differences with each other with regards to transit the growth will do nothing but create more confusion, and a bunch of isolated islands of urban development that have nothing to do with each other. People will continue to get further entrenched into their borough of the region instead of enjoying all that Hampton Roads has to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area