Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 07:02 PM

28 posts, read 44,520 times

Advertisements

Hi again everyone!

Last time I posted, I was still unsure where in HR we were considering moving.

At this time I'm hoping you guys can help with a question.

My significant other wants to study at VA Wesleyan, and I want to look at neighborhoods with short commutes to the college.

The trouble is, when I look at spotcrime.com the closest neighborhoods have higher rates of reported crimes.

So...
Any recommended neighborhoods within short commutes of Wesleyan??

Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 05:04 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,740,683 times
Bayville Apartments or Lake Smith Condos maybe.

Old 04-26-2018, 06:36 PM

Thanks for the reply - any other answers?

Old 04-27-2018, 09:50 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,740,683 times
Cypress Point (Grand Cypress/Lake Cypress) near the golf course is pretty nice.

Old 04-27-2018, 06:42 PM

Thanks again @randomlikeme. Was hoping to have more users participate... but definitely appreciate all of your suggestions. We will check out those communities in person, hopefully soon.

Old 05-02-2018, 08:58 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,441,940 times
Cypress Point is very nice and close to Va. Wesleyan. Avoid Lake Edward and the surrounding apartments.

Old 05-02-2018, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
Cypress Point is very nice and close to Va. Wesleyan. Avoid Lake Edward and the surrounding apartments.
Thank you!! Will check it out.

Old 05-06-2018, 11:12 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,467,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelnomad View Post
Thanks again @randomlikeme. Was hoping to have more users participate... but definitely appreciate all of your suggestions. We will check out those communities in person, hopefully soon.
Go further into Virginia Beach. That part of Virginia Beach you don't want to deal with if you do not have to. I would head East. Kempsville. Pembroke, etc. Aragona Village might be okay. That's the short answer. Very hit or miss around that area there are no neighborhoods I would recommend around there. Very transient part of the city anyway one block could be good the next not so much. Most colleges around here are like that; ODU is the same way.

Old 05-06-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Go further into Virginia Beach. That part of Virginia Beach you don't want to deal with if you do not have to. I would head East. Kempsville. Pembroke, etc. Aragona Village might be okay. That's the short answer. Very hit or miss around that area there are no neighborhoods I would recommend around there. Very transient part of the city anyway one block could be good the next not so much. Most colleges around here are like that; ODU is the same way.
Thanks for sharing your point of view! I was definitely looking at Kempsville. I just didn't want us to have a long commute to classes, but I am willing to entertain a reasonably longer commute for safety.

Old 05-06-2018, 05:52 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,467,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelnomad View Post
Thanks for sharing your point of view! I was definitely looking at Kempsville. I just didn't want us to have a long commute to classes, but I am willing to entertain a reasonably longer commute for safety.
Yeah it's a trade off. I'd spend some time in different neighborhoods around there to get a feel for the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area