Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2019, 06:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,536 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband and I recently moved to Virginia Beach and we don't know anyone at all. We're in our mid-20s and haven't been able to meet anyone (bars and clubs are not our social scene). We both moved from France and my husband is learning English. We would love to meet new people to get to discover the area and hang out with when possible!

Thanks,
Caroline
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2019, 10:59 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,699,075 times
Your best bet might be to join the dating app bumble. It's got a friendship feature. You could set that setting to "BFF" and possibly meet other women who are married with husbands. See if you have common interests and take that direction.

Going to a message board like this probably is not going to work to well except for getting advice like I just gave you.

Old 11-26-2019, 11:59 AM

63 posts, read 165,382 times
There is also a website called Meetup where you can find groups of people to do activities with based on shared interests.

Old 11-29-2019, 09:07 AM

37,644 posts, read 46,052,689 times
Have you heard of the Next Door website? You can sign up for your specific neighborhood only. But you can post/search for topic in just your neighborhood or the surrounding area. It's a great way to meet your neighbors or ask for suggestions such as the one you posted here. There is an ap as well, but you don't have to use it, you can just log into the website.

Old 12-03-2019, 11:27 AM

189 posts, read 196,021 times
Get a membership at the Va Beach recreation centers. At least exposes you to people more. Also it is considered passe, but still frequent the night clubs and bars every now and then. Never know who you might meet up with.

Old 04-10-2020, 07:04 AM

125 posts, read 122,161 times
I personally think bumble BFF is a bad idea but most will get curious about the non-BFF version. In your mid-20’s things are already hard enough to keep a solid marriage going, I’d go with meetup.com for Facebook events, running clubs ect.. I’ve dated loads of women here and an uncomfortable amount of them have been married, engaged, or in a relationship of some sort.

Old 04-14-2020, 07:22 AM

1,751 posts, read 2,406,491 times
JGD - Maybe now is not the best time for a meetup. Just sayin (stay-in).

Caroh was a one time poster, but for anybody else interested in meeting other people without involving dating/hookup sites, the recommendations of the other posters are spot on. Meetup is a great choice. Many people are joining www.nextdoor.com to stay connected with their community (especially now). Nextdoor has a number of features, such as Events, where individuals, businesses and agencies post events/meetings/celebrations aimed at bringing locals together. These are troubled times, but this too shall eventually pass. Looking forward to visiting and socializing once again!

Last edited by ersatz; 04-14-2020 at 07:49 AM..

Old 05-24-2020, 11:20 PM

3 posts, read 2,395 times
Go to meetup.com there are some great groups up there and find people/groups with similar interests. I am 28 years old and unfortunately VA Beach has a lot of people all the way till their mid 30's that love the bar and club scene. I myself cannot stand that scene and got away from it when I turned 22. However, there are a lot of people in their 20's and older that have other hobbies interest. There is a lot to do around here in terms of outdoors which is another way to meet people. I am not sure if you are into working out but One Life is great and is sometime I find myself socializing to much when I am there working out. As mentioned earlier, meetup.com is great and I am sure once you adapt that you will love it here. Anyways if you have any questions reply or send a message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
View detailed profiles of: