Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2020, 09:50 AM

2 posts, read 1,036 times

Advertisements

Best private or public elementary schools in HR - would be grateful for any advice - looking for a great school & to avoid a long commute (working in Norfolk). Small class size would be great.

I've been looking into Norfolk Academy, Collegiate, Williams School, Nansemond-Suffolk, etc....b/c I've heard that the commutes from places with good public schools into Norfolk is tough.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2020, 11:33 AM

18 posts, read 14,344 times
I can't speak to the academics of any of them (no kids), but I can talk about access to the Norfolk schools.

Williams is the hardest to get to; it's in a high income neighborhood between downtown and the hospital complex on the west side. It would take numerous traffic lights to get to either I-264 in the middle of downtown or the US 58 Midtown Tunnel (tolls) past the hospital to get to Portsmouth. The streets around Williams are flood-prone, and there is minimal parking. Also, Williams is only a K-8 school, so you're looking at a transfer once the kids are old enough.

Norfolk Academy and Norfolk Collegiate, which both go all the way through high school, have campuses within a few blocks of I-64 interchanges, though you have to drive through crowded retail zones to get to/from the schools. They are definitely more accessible from Virginia Beach or the Peninsula. Academy, which is just off US 13 (Northampton Boulevard) and near the Virginia Beach line, is doable from the Eastern Shore.

Old 04-09-2020, 04:27 AM

2 posts, read 1,036 times
Thanks for that traffic & parking info - very helpful. We aren't 100% sure where we'll be living - probably in Norfolk.

Old 05-11-2020, 05:15 AM

5 posts, read 19,071 times
Hi COA33, I have recently relocated to HR and looking into private schools as well. Did you decide on a school yet? Did you decide to settle in Norfolk? I'm currently in NN and looking at private schools around the area.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area